How can I stick to keto for longer than a couple weeks?

Options
KingPeasant
KingPeasant Posts: 12 Member
I've been doing keto on and off for a couple months. I have a problem with sticking to it for longer than a couple weeks. I will do extremely well for about two weeks and then I'll lose all discipline and just binge eat. I feel guilty immediately afterwards and I think that I'll never do it again but it continues to happen. Has anybody experienced an issue like this? I can't seem to get over this cycle.

Replies

• pendennis
    pendennis Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    To be honest I've not experienced what you are going through on Keto but I have done when trying other ways like "low carb" i.e. Atkins or Southbeach and any other "diet" I have tried. I was feeling deprived and my husband was not eating like me at all and there were temptations in the house all the time. So then I'd just have "one taste", I'd weigh out a portion and feel like it would be enough but then I'd just give up, blow off the whole idea of losing for a day, then feel the frustration and guilt. So I've been through that cycle more than once.

What's different right now for me:
    1. I decided. That seems simple but I made the conscious decision to change my life and my health.
    2. By eating keto I have found that I am more sated because I can have a keto dessert and not feel deprived.
    3. My husband also decided. By making this change together we can help each other as a team and neither of us feel left out or left behind.

These things have made this life style change the easiest that I have made in years. The most important takeaway I hope for you is this: I made the conscious decision to make this my life.

I hope this gives you some insight from someone who has gone through that cycle more than once.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Look into "candida die off" and see if it applies. If so, there are generally suggested techniques to help you get past that bump...

21-28 days is considered the length of time to completely kick sugar's initial addiction influence on your dietary intake.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Sometimes increasing salt gets rid of the carb cravings.
  • 0426Jamie
    0426Jamie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The first two weeks is always the hardest part! If you can get that far, you can get over the next hump. One thing that would probably help is to get rid of all the foods you could "binge" on at home. If you don't have carbs easily available, it makes it less likely you will eat them. Also, I have found when I am really craving bad carbs, if I just eat a snack, like a string cheese or some lunchmeat, the craving gets smaller to the point where I can make a meal. After I have eaten, those cravings pretty much disappear.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    You're a 6'2" male and 300 pounds. How large is your deficit? You might be eating too little and being too strict. Are you?
  • leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 8 of strict keto. I've done lazy keto off and on but never this long and this strictly. I'm having terrible headaches yesterday and today but my joint pain is so much better already that I'm going to push through! That's my motivation. I have weight to lose but inflammation is my motivation.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Headaches and fatigue are electrolyte imbalance related most of the time. Up the sodium. Keto causes the kidneys to excrete sodium, and we need to replace around 3000-5000 mg of sodium daily for total health. @leighn62