What Target Weight should I be aiming for?

Options
tonilaporta
tonilaporta Posts: 9 Member
Hi everyone,

I've been using MFP for about 2 months now and I've lost around 6/7 pounds.

I'm 23 and 5 foot 8. I currently weigh 11 stone 8 with a 1st goal weight of 11 stone 3 (This is a goal set for me when I used to do Slimming World and it was a goal of losing 10% of my body weight.)

My second goal is the lowest weight I can remember being as an adult which is 10 stone 8 which was when I was in my 2nd year of uni about 5 years ago.

Yesterday just out of curiosity I looked up what my ideal weight would be if I was bang in the middle of my BMI weight range and was shocked when it came back as 10 stone 3! For me that seems so low and such a long way. It's disheartening to think that to achieve that I still have over a stone to go just to be average for my height.

When I started my weight loss journey last July I was 12 stone 6.5 and it's been hard to get as much weight off as I have.

How much stock should I put in the BMI weight?

Replies

• Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    5 8 and 10 st 3 sounds v light - try another site maybe?
  • 33bbcc33
    33bbcc33 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm american so had to convert stones and all that but 5'8" 10 stone 3 is equal to like 143 pounds/21.7 bmi. That's light but still a normal bmi so I think this site is fine for you. But you shouldn't go by what someone determines an "ideal weight" anyway, our body compositions are all different, you might look really thin at 10 stone 3 while someone else looks "normal". A bmi 21.7 is very close to my goal weight as well but I like that lean athletic look, which is hard for me to maintain as I like to eat too haha! Anyway all your goals sound great! Sometimes you just have to wait and see what you look like as you reach your goal weights. Also congrats on the weight loss so far. It's a hard yet satisfying journey.
  • VictoriaTuel
    VictoriaTuel Posts: 1,604 Member
    Options
    I use everything but stones, but it seems like 10 st 3 would be an average bmi for someone 5'8"/173cm if I'm covering it right to 143lb/64.8kg.

I'm 23, 5'7.5"/172cm and currently around 9 st 3/129lb/58.5kg, but I'm very lean (I'm only this small now because I got into running a lot and play multiple team sports). I was averaging around 10 st 10/150lb/68kg for about 3 years at uni and I did not look large at all even though I was on the higher end on the "normal" bmi scale. When I graduated I was probably closer to 11 st 6/160lb/72.6kg, and I felt kind of large and out of shape then, which is part of why I started exercising more and lost weight to get back down to 10 st 10/150lb/68kg. For reference, I have a small upper body and medium lower body, so I should probably be on the lower range for bmi.

Honestly, you should listen to your body and how you feel and what you can do. Being as small as I am now means I can run father faster and lift my own bodyweight in various positions easier, so I'm happy where I am. Aesthetically, my clothes fit better maybe 5 lb/2.3kg ago (but clothes sizing is a whole other can of worms), and I've definitely run some of my boobs away, but I'm more concerned with what my body can do than how it looks. 11 st 3 is a great first goal for you, especially if someone looked at you personally and made a plan for your specific body and lifestyle. Once you get there (because you totally can! :smiley:), you can evaluate how you feel and if you've reached your fitness/weight loss goals and make new goals from there!
  • FormerlyWallyAmadeus
    FormerlyWallyAmadeus Posts: 35 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    For me, the goal is less weight than health. I want to eat as healthy a diet as I can: vegetables, fruits, whole grains, appropriate protein. I find that when I focus on whole foods (reducing processed foods to treats), I take in fewer calories, I have more energy and I don't think constantly about food.

• tonilaporta
    tonilaporta Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies! I think I'll see how I look and feel at my first 2 milestones and take it from there.

Thanks!
  • gutsnglory6
    gutsnglory6 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree that you should listen to your body and not put too much stock in your BMI. I’ve found it’s helpful to calculate your body composition as well — losing fat but gaining muscle will get get closer to how you want to look more than a number on the scale. There are some great success stories on here from taller (5’8” plus) women on here and it always amazes me how different weights look so different for different people (I’m 5’9” and have also been trying to figure out what my goal actually is).
    I also think that small and attainable goals are the way to go - and the best way to figure out how close you are to being where you want to be. And also take photos and measurements because sometimes you won’t see much change in thie mirror, but will see lots in photo to photo comparisons.