Exercise Yes or No

Options
72happy
72happy Posts: 14 Member
Just wondering if you lot do exercise from the first day on your keto/low carbs diet?
I am not very good at keeping to exercise in the week but do do lots of walking in the weekends with the family. I would be interested to hear if you do exercise everyday and how much or are you like me not that committed to exercise and if like me how fast are you losing your weight?

Replies

• Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I believe I should be.. And at one point I was exercising daily. (outside of work related exertion) But around the beginning of the year, I was badly struggling with enthusiasm and resolve, so I made the decision to let something go. I dug my heels in on the food side of things and stopped pushing myself on the exercise side.

Without a daily exercise program, here is what my year looks like so far.
    k6eesqjj6ua3.jpg

It is my plan to get back into a daily exercise pattern. For overall health as well as improved weight loss.. You know.. soon.

Edit: I really should add that my energy levels are just amazing. There is no keto related reason for me not exercising.
  • janette130
    janette130 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Before starting the keto - I exercised. When I started the keto I waited for about 2 weeks. It took me about a week to get into a good keto and get my energy up to feel comfortable lifting and cardio.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    I exercise, but primarily for muscle preservation, bone density, good sleep and mental health. It hasn't helped with weight loss, but I feel it's important for overall health.

I agree. Exercise is for health.

... I think keo is mainly good for health too. ;)
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Cadori wrote: »
    I exercise, but primarily for muscle preservation, bone density, good sleep and mental health. It hasn't helped with weight loss, but I feel it's important for overall health.

I agree. Exercise is for health.

... I think keo is mainly good for health too. ;)

Ha! Good point!! I meandered this way for weight loss, but you are very right.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I've had a bit of a lull due to school and work but I try to go for walks every day and will start working out more regularly when the semester ends. I worked out pretty heavily when I started LCHF with no major issues. I was exercising a lot prior to LCHF so I was used to it, not sure if I would try to change my WOE and introduce a heavy workout regime at the same time. Ease into both maybe.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise so it's a no from me. Lost over 100 pounds. My work is physical though so that would be my so called exercise.
  • 72happy
    Options
    Thanks all for your reply, i think i need to try and do a bit more exercise by walking more. I dont do gyms or run.
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Walking is great. Weight lifting apparently matters in the long run, it can be lifting your own body weight too. The point is to increase muscle mass... I need to do better in this area as well. I don't like indoor exercising one bit.
  • 72happy
    Options
    Might take up indoor rock climbing again is a good all over body work out.
  • catherineg3
    catherineg3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I go to an indoor pool 3x each week and swim laps for 20 to 30 minutes, and general exercises and resistance training in the water for another 20 to 30 minutes. I've noticed great improvements in my endurance and I can really feel that my muscles have strengthened a lot. I know there is some muscle gain that has balanced some loss of fat over the past couple years, so I do feel progress even without significant weight loss.

I've been cutting back on carbs for about a year and a half. I lost 10-15 pounds last year, but I wasn't super strict, generally 50 to 100g carbs per day. This year I'm getting more serious about cutting carbs. I'm at 30 to 50g carbs per day and have lost about 10 pounds so far this year. I'll be very happy if I can drop 40-50 pounds this year.
  • thelettermegan
    thelettermegan Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have been exercising three times a week, now going up to five - it's a small, independent workout studio with very supportive trainers and regulars. They're all about exercise as its own reward and pacing yourself etc. Usually after a morning workout I just feel amaaaaaaaaazing.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I've been pretty slack all of March...atypical for me. Walking weather is around the corner. :)
  • bozmo
    bozmo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I depends on your goals.

Exercise for health, nutrition to lose weight.
    Exercise takes the glycogen out of muscles and helps remove lactate acid faster. Its good for you for so many reasons. But does not (necessarily) help you lose weight.
    Keto helps you lose weight if you are IR

http://obesitycodepodcast.com/fat-adapted-exercise/

I want to lose fat and gain muscle, so I'm exercising for the muscle.

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Exercise in and of itself is beneficial for a myriad of health improvement ranging from improving insulin sensitivity, nutrient partitioning, glucose management, cardiovascular, muscle, skeletal, and mitochondrial health, mental cognition, stress, etc. regardless of being keto or not.

Sure you could lose scale weight and fat via diet alone, and you can never out exercise a bad diet, but exercise and just being physically active in general has more benefits than doing nothing.

Active > sedentary

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/apnm-2013-0525
    http://www.clinicaldensitometry.com/article/S1094-6950(16)30199-8/abstract
    https://www.nature.com/articles/ijo2016168
  • AshStout83
    AshStout83 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 60 lbs. in a little over a year with almost zero exercise. My lab numbers are great. I do believe exercise is important, though. I just went back to the gym yesterday.
  • flitabout38
    flitabout38 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I haven't been exercising very much. I try to do what I can in my tiny house. I walk for a few hours a day weather permitting. Which lately hasn't been much. I don't tolerate the cold very well and we have been having record lows for April here in Minnesota. I let my gym membership go because I no longer have child care. I went to get my bike out last weekend my oldest daughter and I were going to go on a bike ride after our walk and my husband accidentally ran over my tire (kids moved the bikes)! So I do what I can which isn't a tun right now! Just some resistance every couple of days.
    I am still losing well 28lbs since Christmas. I really admit I can't wait for the weather to break so I can get back outside in my garden and ride my bike with my older kids and see how fast I can really lose with Keto! But we still have another snow storm coming in tomorrow, looking like another 6 inches, so my fat but is still stuck in the house! It's been so bad the kids have had several snow days and all of the older kids have had their track meets canceled.
    Exercise really helps me feel better, it's not even about the weight loss. So yes I really do believe that it has so many benefits. It helps with my anxiety levels and gives me tuns of energy and I have missed it greatly this winter.