Does anyone not weigh or did not weigh themselves initially?

Options
Andee2000
Andee2000 Posts: 31 Member
Been around forever reading but don't post much. Hi! I'm back at trying Keto and started back last week. My question is this: Do some of you not weigh yourselves at all and just go by how your clothes fit or how you feel? At least initially? I figured out that if I weigh myself and see no progress it tends to throw me off track or get mad at the lack of progress and just stop doing what ever WOE I am using to lose weight at the time, so this time I decided for the first month of full Keto I am not going to weigh myself in order to try to get a head start and "feel" the progress (hopefully) and not worry about the scale just yet. Has anyone done that? I started back on 3/12 and for some reason this time it doesn't seem to be a struggle or feel hard.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    In theory I weigh myself every saturday, and do measurements on the 1st of the month.

In reality, I'm lucky if I get on the scale or do measurements every other month or every third month...if I can still fit my clothes I don't worry about it...

And I try to do photos a couple times a year, but I have a pretty horrible at that, I think I'm about 9 months from my last set.
  • Andee2000
    Options
    Measurements are a good idea, maybe I will start with that initially too. Thanks!
  • KetoKasey
    KetoKasey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is my third time starting Keto. The first two times, I quit because the scale didn't move as quickly as I wanted (even though I felt better and my clothes fit better). This time, I'm rarely weighing myself. I know the weight I was when I started and I'm just going to trust the process. I've seen far too many keto success stories to doubt the process now.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh myself every couple of days but I don't stress out over the number. This is just one marker I track to see if my overall trend is moving in the direction I want. Sometimes I gain a few pounds other times I drop down a few or more but over an extended period of time the trend is down that is a positive in my book. At the start I think its a good idea to get a good baseline weight (first thing in the morning) and then track that point over time (all subsequent weigh ins are first thing in the morning). Your weight can fluctuate a great deal throughout the day so even if I go to the Doctors, like I did the other day, and my weight was up 4 lbs it was later in the day plus I had shoes and clothes on so I don't put much stock into that weight for my personal tracking. Don't stress (which doesn't help weight loss) if your morning weight differs from what the scale shows at other times of the day or when you decide to record a baseline weight if that is what you want to do.

If it helps not to hit the scale every few days, then don't. Go by how you feel and how your clothes fit or other markers.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I have something like a 1767 day streak and have weighed myself every day I am at home which is at least 90% of the days. During loss, I tracked/recorded my weight only on Sunday, only if it showed a low number on Sunday and only if I had seen the low number on the scale at least once before during the week. My reasoning behind that was that my weight fluctuates a pound or 2 all the time. This idea of lose a pound, gain it back daily was a nuisance to me to record/track. Now in maintenance, I still weigh daily but haven't entered the fluctuations for a couple years.

I never measured myself. I was shrinking and that was all that mattered. I was never into recomping. If I had been, I might have measured body parts. My body changed only with drops on the scale so far as I know as evidenced by fitting into smaller clothes already in my closet. I never had to buy new clothes through 60 pounds of weight loss. I just wore outdated stuff. In the end I was smaller than anything I owned and finally went shopping. :)

I don't think there is a right or wrong method. Do what works for you. The only benefit to me for daily weighing is I learned my weight fluctuates. Daily.
  • YogaPantsUser
    YogaPantsUser Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I didn't weigh to begin with and then I went to the doctor who told me i had lost 10 pounds since I had been there. Pretty sure I had gained between weigh ins there so probably a 20 pound loss. I try not to weigh much but get on most days now. My daughter is not weighing herself as she is against "weight loss" and just considering it "getting healthier".
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    For me getting on the scales having been avoiding them, was what pushed me into starting to try to loose weight. I'm fairly good at thinking, I can still get into these clothes it can't be tooooo bad, ignoring that they used to be loose! So I'm with @kpk54 I weigh every day but that's because I know that if I don't, I'm probably going off the straight and narrow and fooling myself! I know that there will be days (like yesterday) when for some reason I was up a bit, no idea why and still don't, but today I'm back down. Who knows what tomorrow will bring except it will indeed bring me to those scales!
  • fabriziommf
    fabriziommf Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself almost daily the first two weeks, and I lost 7 lbs. Then my weight loss slowed and now I am going to weigh myself every week to keep from getting discouraged because I know the first 5 lbs come off quickly because it's just water weight.

As long as I lose about a lb a week I'll be content (though I would prefer 2 lbs a week). I look at it this way even with just a lb a week, that's 52 lbs lighter in a year, even 1/2 lb a week (which I would see what I need to do to increase that if that happened) is still 26 lbs lighter in a year, instead of the same weight or heavier.
  • Andee2000
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback everyone!
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    In general, I'm a daily weigher. The ups and downs affect me, but I try to use the emotions...good or bad...to keep me focused. There are always going to be fluctuations. There are always days when you feel you should have lost but don't and vice versa.
    I stick with it because I learn things about my body and specific foods that way. And, mostly because I will go straight into denial about food if I don't see the weight facts in front of my face.
    For example:
    not weighing in: "I can eat this tub of salted pretzel caramel ice cream today and it won't really matter because even though I'm doing keto, I'm just going to work it off tomorrow."
    Or, having weighed in: "well, I didn't lose that pound I thought I would have today, so if I stick with it, it will probably come off by tomorrow...and when it comes off I get my reward of new red yoga pants...soooo I guess I'll walk on by."
    Forgot to mention...I'm very big on nonscale rewards every 3 pounds. Something else to help keep me focused.

Also logging daily (and totally honestly) is critical for me. Over the past three years and losses ranging between 110-145 pounds, I've learned what works and what doesn't. Whether or not I can stick to my plans is another issue entirely and a huge struggle for me, but I do have years worth of specific, honest records so it gets harder and harder to kid myself about regains, losses, stalls, exercise, etc. I know what I have to do based on my own body's facts.

The big trick then, is to do it.

Have a great day pals.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @elize7 non scale/non food rewards are a very good thing to help us focus and make us feel better about the process... and I agree it's good to make them for smaller increments rather than just look at the 'end goal' as a time to reward ourselves for hard work.
    Cheers!
  • bozmo
    bozmo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I was avoiding getting on the scale because I knew my weight had gone up. Finally I committed to eating better, took photos, measured, and weighed myself. In the beginning I didn't weigh, since I wanted to stay motivated and I was afraid the scale hadn't budged. Now I weigh once a week since I know I'm loosing and it feels good to see. Daily would be frustrating as it goes up and down.

I set goals a few months at a time and will remeasure and photo at the end of April! I really hated taking the photos, its easy to be critical of yourself in crappy selfies, but I don't notice the changes as much since I see myself regularly. So that's a motivator - to have the best photos possible in April. I know my waist has decreased since I'm on a smaller belt notch. I'm hoping by mid summer to need a new belt altogether because this one will be too big.

I think photos and measurements are just as important as weight, since they also show body recomposition.
  • bozmo
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Forgot to mention...I'm very big on nonscale rewards every 3 pounds. Something else to help keep me focused.

That's a great idea. I do it for motivating my workouts. (two more runs and I get a new hat!) I think I'll try it for Keto.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Here's to new belts, @bozmo! Perhaps a fancy tooled leather one with a silver buckle (that's just me though :) )
  • bozmo
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Here's to new belts, @bozmo! Perhaps a fancy tooled leather one with a silver buckle (that's just me though :) )

ahhh yes! Something better than my Target synthetic "pleather" belt will be a nice. Maybe a simple silver buckle... (I do love silver) I'll take a look around and have something positive in mind for my hard work. Excellent idea for a reward!!!
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I only weigh in once a week, but I did weigh the day I started keto so I have a good idea of what I lost.
  • thelettermegan
    thelettermegan Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Once I weighed myself after a long time of avoiding it, was horrified by the number I saw, realized I needed to lose a lot of weight, moped about it for a month or so, started eating healthy, exercising more, seeing a difference . . . . . and then I noticed that the scale was off by about twenty pounds. I had spent a month thinking I was twenty pounds heavier than I actually was.

So now I'm just happy with whatever the scale gives me.
  • LoveJoyFood
    LoveJoyFood Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was doing Keto for a solid week before I got on the scale. I don't weigh myself as much as some people, but I get on the scale once a week. I wish, I wish, I wish I had taken my measurements. I never did. I never took before pictures either. I can't go back and change that. Gotta Keto on!