Best methods for carb counting?

Options
bushdl1
bushdl1 Posts: 2 Member
What's the best way to keep track of net carbs? I'm on the go with an 11 year old son, a husband busy in the military and my own full time and part time jobs, so I forget to log foods in myfitnesspal, or the foods aren't listed. I make time to cook at home most days, so i'm using low carb ingredients, but the counting of homemade things has been a pain. Perhaps I am just overcomplicating it?

Replies

• LiveLoveKeto
    LiveLoveKeto Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's not necessary. You know when your body is in ketosis, or at least fat adapted . Being mindful of the low carbs thing you're using (whole foods I'm assuming since those don't come with a nutrition label :disappointed: ) and the foods that are higher in fat should keep you full. Count if you want, but you shouldn't feel the need to. After all, we're doing this because of how it makes us feel, not to put on a piece of paper to turn in and get a grade on. (coming from someone who has nothing better to do with their time than count macros :lol: )
  • MIssnewme9211
    MIssnewme9211 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's not necessary. You know when your body is in ketosis, or at least fat adapted . Being mindful of the low carbs thing you're using (whole foods I'm assuming since those don't come with a nutrition label :disappointed: ) and the foods that are higher in fat should keep you full. Count if you want, but you shouldn't feel the need to. After all, we're doing this because of how it makes us feel, not to put on a piece of paper to turn in and get a grade on. (coming from someone who has nothing better to do with their time than count macros :lol: )

I am a New Kid On The Block essentially to Keto. How do you know when you body has fully adapted to fat burning, and in Ketosis? I have purchased the urine sticks to test myself, but not banking in the results since its urine in the results are not always reliable.
  • sallyann8
    sallyann8 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've used the urine sticks, but for me it's an increase in energy and lack of hunger and cravings that I'm going by. I can't believe how I'm no longer exhausted all the time and popping a ready meal in the microwave because I'm too tired too cook...now trying out loads of new recipes because I love the way lchf food tastes :):)
  • LiveLoveKeto
    LiveLoveKeto Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I am a New Kid On The Block essentially to Keto. How do you know when you body has fully adapted to fat burning, and in Ketosis? I have purchased the urine sticks to test myself, but not banking in the results since its urine in the results are not always reliable.

I use the Keto sticks too, and from what I understand they lose effectiveness the longer you're on the lifestyle. Last I checked mine I was a 1.5, and I've been been Keto exclusive for over a month, exploring it since last December. I don't know. The more effective way is to check your blood in a device similar to how one Checks blood sugar levels. I'll get one of those eventually.
  • anelyaG
    anelyaG Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use Keto sticks and measure urine once/twice per week. I am honest though and enter all that I eat into MFP so I can save the sticks :)