MARCHing to the ETL drum!

Options

Replies

• Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    C&P, that's huge! Great to discover or verify that your new way of eating makes you feel better.

Mihani and Karrie, way to go with your workouts!!

I found a running/walking coach that has a program that meets twice a week. It's a group of 8 to 16 women that do running and walking with drills and intervals etc., and some calisthenics. You can stick to walking, or build up your running and train for 5K/10K/marathons. The coach is a Kinesiologist and works with you to improve your form. I might sign up for the next program which starts near the end of April.

No exercise for me today. It is nice to be back to my regular foods now that the birthday celebrations are done. Tomorrow is supposed to be a nice day so I am planning to get a long walk in, and I might go pick out some new running shoes.

today:
    breakfast - smoothie
    lunch - mixed greens, lemon basil dressing, homemade mango salsa, baked yams, a mini 'meatloaf'
    snack - orange
    dinner - fruit salad, Spring Veggie Bread Pudding
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,914 Member
    Options
    I've been reading on the Dr. F website a bit lately. I reinstated my membership for the time being so I can access all the plans and recipes. I have been intrigued by the "radical weight loss" plan which calls for two meals a day. Brunch around 10 a.m. and dinner around 4 p.m. It sounds kind of like intermittent fasting, and Dr. F says fat burn accelerates because you spend more time in the fat-burning phase of the digestive cycle. I don't know if I really want to cut back to 2 meals a day, but I will try it a couple days a week. I'd probably have to change it up to noon and 6 p.m. due to work. I think I'll do it on Saturday and see how it goes.

Carla, the running coach sounds very cool!
  • whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    We were sidetracked last night with errands, so I didn't get to make the sushi. But I will make it tonight, and I'm really looking forward to it. I just do the typical roll - filled with carrots, cucumber, wasabi, avocado and vegan mayonnaise. Yummy!!

Someone came to look at the old house last night, so we have our hopes up (again). I'm hoping we hear something back from our agent today. Fingers crossed!

Going swimming tonight; looking forward to it and hoping the pool isn't as packed as last week. I didn't go on Monday because I had a guitar recital. I felt like a big dummy because I was sitting so close to the first row I could touch them, which made me uncomfortable, which made me start to shake, and my hands were shaking so bad I couldn't even hit all the right strings. I'm so dumb sometimes!
  • whats_her_name
    Options
    My quinoa salad has been so deliciously light and tasty that I wanted to share it with you:

Chilled Quinoa Salad (3 servings)
    1 cup uncooked quinoa
    2 cups water or veggie broth
    1 red pepper, diced
    1 lemon, juiced
    salt and pepper to taste

Cook quinoa in water/broth and allow to cool.
    Add pepper, lemon juice and salt & pepper and toss.
    Chill in the refrigerator.

Serve with cubed avocado (1/2 an avocado per serving) and greens of your choice (2 cups per serving).

My mom and my daughter love this recipe too.
  • CoffeeandHumblePie
    CoffeeandHumblePie Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Mihani, I love Jill McKeever! She’s so down to earth and so FUN! Sometimes I watch her videos just for fun!

Today’s lunch. So good! I threw together leftover sweet potato, diced Field Roast sausage, kale (microwaved all this), topped with avocado and green onions. Yum!

zokvsq6gs0nq.jpeg
  • Mihani
    Options
    Lunch looks great C&P!

Karrie, the quinoa salad looks good. Light and refreshing for summertime dinners too. Fingers crossed for you on the house!

Another crazy day at work but I got a couple projects finished. I am ready for the weekend to have some uninterrupted time for work.

B - broccoli, a few walnut halves
    L - Dr. McDougall's split pea soup and a couple wasa crackers
    D - the last of the leftover broccoli and asparagus, tangerine and blueberries

I was all happy this morning thinking wow, not sore at all from the workout last night. As the day wore on I started to feel it. Right now my quads and abs are screaming at me lol.
  • CoffeeandHumblePie
    Options
    Karrie, your Quinoa salad sounds very good. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Mihani, I feel your pain. I've been limping around this week after trying to put air in my tire during a sleet/snow storm. I was probably hunched down in a squat position for all of 5 minutes, but it was freezing cold so my thigh muscles were not havin' it - and here I thought I was in shape from all the walking I've been doing. :D

I made a meal this afternoon to share with a family w/ a newborn and made extra for our meal. I tried to sneak some "new" nutrition into it but my husband was practically pouting like a little boy for having to eat vegetables. What a hoot! Cracked me up.

It contained: wild rice, brown rice, onion, sweet potato, fresh green beans, dried cranberries, sliced almonds, thyme, S&P, diced chicken. It was, in my opinion, delicious and would make a great WFPB dish without the chicken (I made my portion heavy on the veggies and had only a couple bites of chicken).
  • CoffeeandHumblePie
    Options
    ..oh! Forgot to share exciting news. I'm signed up for my first 5K! Daughter and I will be joining friends (walking, not running). There will be several in our area now that Spring is here, but I'm also looking at participating in upcoming volksmarches if my hip can handle the longer walk - they are typically 10K.
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Hiiiiiiii guys (*sheepishly poking my head in*)

Sorry I've been so bad at keeping up with everyone's posts. So nice to come back and hear how everyone is doing and all the delicious things you're eating!

C&P - I LOVE salads that have some warm element. Lately, I've been warming up black beans with some taco seasoning and putting that on a big salad with avocado and tomatoes, so yummy! Congrats on the 5K too!!

Karrie, too hard on yourself! At least you had the courage to be up front with your guitar :) Fingers crossed for your old house

Mihani, hope you're feeling more limber today! And I can't believe you're looking forward to the weekend for work reasons .... are you going to take a day off? We are actually closed Friday and Monday. But my in-laws are in town Friday-Sunday so....

Trying to think of a nice healthy vegan easter meal to serve everyone. Whenever we have a big group, I get self conscious about my cooking and always lean towards ordering something. But it would be nice to have a proper dinner. I've got green beans/mushrooms, roasted cauli and brussels, and that's it so far lol.
  • whats_her_name
    Options
    C&P good for you!! I've walked plenty of 5km, 10km and I even walked a half marathon when I was 26 weeks pregnant with my son. I wish I would have kept it up over the years...

I am down 2 lbs this week and I'm seriously eating nonstop. The snacks are so helpful to me; maybe in a few weeks I won't need them, but right now they're really getting me through.

Lia, thanks for the encouraging words. I am so goofy about playing in front of people. not sure why. Sometimes I'm totally fine and can play perfectly as if I were alone, and sometimes I pay too much attention to just how many people are looking at me and it freaks me out. There were a lot of people there on Monday, and I was far too close to the front row. Next time I'm moving the chair back...

Lia, try making a vegan Caesar salad and some biscuits or breadsticks or something like that to round it out. and make something completely decadent for dessert. I made a vegan cheesecake (with cashews) a few years ago at Easter and it was a big hit.

Mihani, I hope your muscles recover quickly - drink lots of water!! My hips and glutes have been stiff with me increasing the speed on my treadmill. 3.8 mph was no big deal, but 4.0 just pushed my muscles over the edge for some reason.

Anyway, I'm reaching the end of my food, only 1 more day left. But this week was a smashing success. I didn't have to do any food prep at all this week. Just gather up all my containers for the day and voilà - done! This is definitely going to work for me. Between the kids, my hubby and all the various activities we do every week, this is really the only way it CAN work. And I didn't mind the repetition at all, probably knowing that next week I'll have a whole different set of meals. :smiley:
  • Mihani
    Options
    Keep sneaking those veggies in on your family C&P, they might just come around! That is awesome that you signed up for a 5K. Great way to keep motivated!

Lia!!! Glad to see you. *hugs* I love this chickpea tart for holidays. It isn't hard to make and looks impressive. I know Carla made it and it was a hit with her family too. https://dreenaburton.com/vegan-chocolate-pumpkin-pie-festive-chickpea-tart-cranberry-sauce/ I could only find vegan, not-sweet pie shells in the freezer section.

Karrie, feeling better today, but still sore in my legs. I decided on a treadmill workout tonight rather than doing the DVD again just yet I'll do it again this weekend. Ohhhh, caeser salad sounds good too. I recall OSG having one that looked great although I've never tried it. WOOHOO on 2 more pounds gone! Have you decided on your menu for next week?

So, those Mary's Gone Crackers that I said were dangerous and "bingeable" ??? Yep. I ate the rest of them last night. I started on them and just kept going. Oh well, it's my first major slip of the 6 weeks, and they are gone. I will not be buying them again for a long while.

B - small handful of walnuts, a pear
    L - big ol' salad, an apple
    D - cheezy chickpeas and sauteed chard, a tangelo and some blueberries with almond milk and chia seeds

• whats_her_name
    Options
    Mihani , at least the crackers are gone! I have been avoiding my trigger foods like the plague. It’s gonna be a long time before I can have them in the house.

I was shocked and delighted that I’m down more than a pound again today - bringing my loss for the week to 3 lbs. I was even over full yesterday, wondering if I had eaten too much!! Feels good knowing I’ve been getting more actual nutrition this past week than I’ve had in a long time.

I haven’t looked at the meal plans for the next 2 days yet but I have to do that later today and get my groceries. I’m going to host a brunch tomorrow (so I can make my own food) and I’m going to a birthday party tomorrow night, but I plan to bring my own food to that too. This weekend is NOT going to put me off track!!

I have to go do my treadmill workout now and then get my house cleaned from top to bottom for tomorrow. I’m feeding 12 people tomorrow morning!! Better get moving!!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Awesome loss Karrie! Sounds like you have a fun weekend planned.

I have cut back on breakfast the past couple days. I am just eating a small handful of walnuts. I want to see how I do on 2 meals a day for the time being.

B - 4 walnut halves
    L - big salad, an apple
    D - leftover chard and cheezy chickpeas, small salad with cashew Caesar dressing, chia seed pudding with blueberries and a tangerine

The chia seed pudding was an adventure. I read a few tips and basically you want 3 T chia seeds to 1 cup liquid. I used almond milk and a little vanilla and put it in the fridge overnight. When I got home this evening it was still milk, not thick and pudding-like at all. So I started to stir it up and all the chia seeds were in one big clump in the bottom of the bowl. It took a while to whisk and mash them apart, but then it was pretty good. Still not a pudding texture but made a nice topping for my fruit. I figure it's 3 servings (to get my 1 T of chia seeds in each day) so I will have more tomorrow and Sunday. I think next time I should stir them after about an hour and see how that works out.

I was having a hankering for Caesar dressing after it was mentioned yesterday and googled for a recipe. Found this: https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/creamy-cashew-caesar-salad-dressing/ and made it tonight. It's very good! And a little goes a long way.
  • whats_her_name
    Options
    Mihani, when I make chia seed pudding, I put it in a mason jar and shake it all together. And I continue to shake it a few more times for about a half hour. And then anytime I open the fridge for anything. I don’t like the clumps at all....

I got groceries tonight, and I was all out of suppers so I cooked rice and mixed it up with chopped tomatoes, celery and green onion (I don’t bother cooking the veggies) and then S&P and basil to taste. I love this meal!!!

Making more sushi tonight. Mmmmmmmm
  • Mihani
    Options
    Thanks for the tip Karrie... I think shaking/stirring periodically during the first hour or so would definitely help. It looks much better this morning. Looking forward to it on my fruit tonight.

Off to work. Going to put on a BIG push to get stuff done today and tomorrow.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Sad news over here about our chickens. They were all killed by a coyote :( Ruby came out with me and knew something was off. She pulled the leash out of my hand and went tearing over to the fenced orchard where they were. It was too late. The coyote was trapped in there momentarily and was frantically digging under the fence to get away. There was no point in chasing after her at that point, the ladies were all gone. Really bad day. Ruby is also upset. We buried them in the orchard.

Ruby was so frantic and jumping around like crazy when she saw the coyote so she hurt the leg she's supposed to be resting. We're going to have to get the surgery for her. In the meantime, we have her taking anti-inflammatories. Poor puppers was hopping around on 3 legs for a while there.

Joe and I recently discovered a new park really close by where we live. It's in a wooded area and there are lots of looping trails. We went there today for a 45 minute walk. I'm looking at getting a new treadmill so that I can easily get in my workouts when the weather is bad, or when I don't want to have to drive anywhere. The one I'm looking at has a lot of different workouts and connects to google maps so you can replicate outdoor runs including the hills and it shows the street view on a screen. It has an optional setting for shock absorption which should help out my knees.

Today:
    Breakfast - 1/3 cup oatmeal w/ 1 Tbsp walnuts, 1 cup of blueberries, 1/2 banana, 1 Tbsp cherry juice
    Lunch - BLT on sprouted grain bread w/ Tempeh for the 'B' and roasted garlic aioli, salad w/ lemon basil dressing and barley
    Dinner - leftovers, probably some garlicky mashed potatoes with smokey "gouda" and mini meatloaves
  • Mihani
    Options
    So sorry about the chickens Carla... and about Ruby too. :( So sad. Stupid coyote. Glad you found a new park you like and that you're getting a new treadmill. The BLT sounds so good. I was on an eggplant bacon kick for a while. It's really good. http://www.isachandra.com/2011/10/eggplant-bacon/

I was working on stuff for the accountant today and didn't get as much done as I hoped about the piles of paper on my desk. I wanted to get home and cook too, so I will put in a longer day tomorrow. I cooked asparagus and broccoli that will last me a couple days, and sauteed a batch of mustard greens for dinner tonight with leftover cheezy chickpeas.

B - small handful of walnuts
    L - Romaine salad with the Creamy Cashew Caesar Dressing and ground black pepper. Wow was it good. I devoured that salad. An apple.
    D - cheezy chickpeas and mustard greens, tangerine and blueberries with chia seed pudding

Tomorrow I start week 6. It sounds silly but I had some little reward stickers with things like WOW and Way to Go and Super on them. I have been giving myself a sticker on the wall calendar in my kitchen when I stick to the plan, and a red X on the day when I don't. In the 6 weeks I only have 4 red X's, which I think is pretty darn good! Those days weren't way off the rails. One was eating too many walnuts, two were the Mary's Gone Crackers... I think the last one was eating a whole avocado on my lunch salad. Compared to what a "slip" used to be, I'm not worried that those 4 days had much impact on my efforts all the other days. I plan a perfect week to finish off the 6 week plan. Then I am probably going to continue with mostly 6 week plan strict with a couple meals a week more life plan with more nuts and grains, and probably a glass of wine once a week, but I don't want to let myself slide back into bad habits. I still have a ways to go.

• Mihani
    Options
    Week 5 results: 1 pound, total for the 5 weeks: 14.8
  • whats_her_name
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Great job, Mihani!! Those slip days sound pretty darn good, I’d be amazed if I could be that good!!

Today is the first day of week 2. Week 1 results: 3.8 lbs

I’m so sorry about your chickens, Carla. So so sad. Poor Ruby too.

Tonight is a cooking night. OSG Red Lentil and Kale soup, sweet & sour “meatballs”, lemon pie date balls and more green smoothies!!
  • whats_her_name
    Options
    Down again this morning- woo hoo!! I love it when a plan comes together!! It reinforces all my hard work of meal prep and getting on the treadmill even when I don’t feel like it...

Gotta go clean my kitchen now. Left it in kind of a mess last night...