Intermittent Fasting question

Options
fdhunt1
fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
Happy St. Patrick's Day all:

I'm doing IF, 16:8 on the weekends and only eat lunch & dinner. Problem is when I log my meals they are obviously way short of my macros, but MFP doesn't like that. If I ignore the warning will it still consider my meals as logged? With two meals, I just eat until I'm not hungry which is below 1200 cals. Should I still be trying to eat over 1200 to keep the program happy? I'm in this for fat loss, and have a long way to go.

Thanks.

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I personally do not let some computer tell me how and when to eat. Others may tell you how to make the software happy if that is a concern to you since I do not track calories.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Your food entries will stay in your diary whether you "complete" or not. The only 2 things "completing" does is give you the 5 week projection and announce your completion to your news feed if you have it set up in settings to announce completion.

I've not hit that "complete" tab in years.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    fdhunt1 wrote: »
    I'm doing IF, 16:8 on the weekends and only eat lunch & dinner

What do you do on weekdays?

• kevinmacpa
    kevinmacpa Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you want to complete the entry just for the sake of it. What I do, is I log something I would never eat as food by itself, to get the daily calorie over 1200. And add exercise for the same amount of calorie to zero it out.

For example, today I am fasting, so I logged myself eating 5 oz of beef tallow( hopefully no one would eat 5 oz of tallow for meal), for 1200 calories, and walked 150 minutes to burn that 1200 calories.

I did not eat anything nor did any exercise, so this nets to about 10 calories of daily intake. I don’t care about being off by 10 calories. I also put a food note to remind me this is what I did for today.
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, the 1200 thing is there because MFP never want's to be held responsible for potentially encouraging dangerous diet practices. You know your body and situation better than MFP does, so I say do what feels sensible to you.
    Personally when I 16:8 (which I love to do) I will eat a days calories in the window. But every now and then I'm just not hungry and forcing myself to eat more to please the machine is something I've decided not to do ever again.

I like kevins idea there, but not sure if it really changes anything.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You can just add calories as "calorie" to boost your intake if you feel the need.

As long as you don't have thyroid issues, then going super low on intake for a few days is not going to hurt anything.

As a general rule your body will tell you when you need to eat more, and I find that long-term it's probably more important for people to listen to their own hunger signals than to just eat to a calculated amount.
  • ronile999
    ronile999 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know some people create a 'food' called 'fasting' and assign it a calorie amount to put into MFP in order to stop getting the message, others just don't close out the day.
  • janette130
    janette130 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just don't hit the complete button :)
  • Jcc2018
    Jcc2018 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When I do not log beyond 1,000 calories, and I hit "complete" on my diary, it gives me the warning and it will not give me a 5-week projection on my weight loss. It also will not announce my completion on the newsfeed. But it does log my calories for that day. That's the only difference I see.