security breach on MFP?

Options
camtosh
camtosh Posts: 898 Member
Did anyone get an email about this today? I changed my pword. https://content.myfitnesspal.com/security-information/FAQ.html

Replies

• 72happy
    72happy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just read about it in the news. To be honest i am not surprised by it lots of places gets hacked by small minded peopler who got nothing better to do. Or your information gets sold like on Facebook.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I've had the email
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    I finally got the email at 9:11pm after I found out about it on the MF. :smirk:
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    https://nbcnews.com/tech/security/under-armour-says-data-hacked-150m-myfitnesspal-app-accounts-n861406

"Under Armour bought MyFitnessPal in 2015 for $475 million. It is part of the company's connected fitness division, whose revenue last year accounted for 1.8 percent of Under Armour's $5 billion in total sales."

For MFP to have been worth nearly 1/2 billion dollars in 2015 the data here must be pure gold I would think.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten the email, so thanks.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Not surprised.
  • lowil44
    lowil44 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I heard about it from my U.K. diabetes forum. I think you only have to worry about it if you have financial info associated with your account, like if you purchased premium MFP.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    lowil44 wrote: »
    I heard about it from my U.K. diabetes forum. I think you only have to worry about it if you have financial info associated with your account, like if you purchased premium MFP.

Or if you use this password on other accounts where you have financial information, or other sensitive information stored.
    I bet quite a few folks have the same passwords for several fitness related apps. I know I *did* have the same password for this and fitbit. If I'd bought a fitbit on line...
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    lowil44 wrote: »

Or if you use this password on other accounts where you have financial information, or other sensitive information stored.
    I bet quite a few folks have the same passwords for several fitness related apps. I know I *did* have the same password for this and fitbit. If I'd bought a fitbit on line...

Thank you, forgot about my FitBit account! In the email that came out yesterday they said it does not affect the financial end of things as another company processes the CC payments. All is good there.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • 72happy
    72happy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Or just use false email, that way nobody can hack your emails.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I don't see how we change our passwords on the app. I see Delete Account and Log Out but nothing under settings for changing ones password. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Very informative Dragon Wolf.
    River Goddess, scroll to the top of this page and click on "settings", You will see change password.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I don't see how we change our passwords on the app. I see Delete Account and Log Out but nothing under settings for changing ones password. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

It's not allowed per the app, you'll have to log on to change via the full site. Then you'll see the "change password" under settings.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf, thanks for that very clear explanation - re hash encryption strings. luv ya for that.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Holy cow @dragonwolf! That was amazing!
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Goodness that is a lot of work and knowledge!
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options

A workaround I found to change it through the app, you need to log out from the app. When you go to log back in, click on forgot password (don't enter your password & log in), you will then get an email to reset/change the password.

That is definitely something they need to work on for the app.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf, spot on information. I'm a retired IT person, after reading the email, I simply changed my password JIC it was on the hacked listing, and my main concern was some passwords were hashed but not all. Thanks for explaining this to everyone. It isn't something to be over concerned about unless you use the same password everywhere. At least MFP kept the CC details in another location.

I personally don't get overly concerned when hacks occur, since I don't do any app based finance apps. They are what most hackers are after.

I will just mention there are some nice password manager/generators that can be used. Here is a good place to start learning how to use them
    https://www.howtogeek.com/141500/why-you-should-use-a-password-manager-and-how-to-get-started/