March 31 Sign In

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Replies

• LoraineGB
    LoraineGB Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    ffk4kgp86gsx.png
    These are the almost ready to celebrate Winner's Circle qualifiers for the month of March
    If your name is not here, please send me a private message.
    The Winner's are:
    @BobWw2017
    @drea2011
    @naomiefaye
    @Gutcutter500
    @oykucan
    @craigo3154
    @MzRuthy
    @RangerRickL
    and honorable mention goes out to @loopydo2017 who is traveling today to Mozambique with her 9 year old daughter for a two week intercultural experience. But for today's trip, she would have qualified.
    Congratulations to all qualifiers!

Congratulations, you are all awesome!
  • Ceceev
    Ceceev Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have been dealing with an injury these last 2 weeks or so and have not done well here...but will continue to #Keepmovingforward!
  • Ceceev
    Ceceev Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Just read there was a data breach on My Fitness Pal and everyone is being urged to change their passwords immed. This info came from my antivirius software company.

Also,. I am looking for the April sign up and do not see it listed....
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @Ceceev. MFP are doing the appropriate "duty of care" in informing people of the security breach.

As for whether this of major concern is a different matter (part of my professional life involves IT security).

By and large, the hackers will not bother with the password list. It is not worth the effort and the computing resources to try breaking.

What was stolen includes one-way hashed passwords with salt. The way a password is determined as correct is that the entered password has the users salt data added then processed by the one way hash process. The resultant binary data is compared against the users stored binary password data and if matched, then the login is successful.

What this means is that the password cannot be retrieved without a brute force attack (ie. running it against a dictionary). The salt means that even if 2 users have the same password, the one-way hashed password result is different. Each password must be checked against each attempt with salt added. This makes orders of magnitude harder (and often not worth the effort, even if the cracker can do in excess of 10,000 passwords attempts per second - and yes some can). The longer and more involved your password (upper/lower case, numbers, special characters), the less likely it is to be able to be decrypted even by a brute force attack.

A full brute force attack on a hard to guess 8 character password with numbers, special characters, upper and lower case that can check 1,000,000 passwords per seconds would take on average 1100 *YEARS*. With the salt this is to do *ONE* users password. Each extra character cumulatively multiplies this timeframe by about 100.

As there is no financial data listed as stolen, there is not enough data stolen to conduct identity theft. At worst if your email password is the same as your MFP password *AND* your MFP password was easy to guess, then MAYBE you may be of enough interest to have an issue.

As a precaution, change any password that is the same as your MFP password that is associated with your email address AND change your MFP password.

The biggest coup from the hackers standpoint is the email addresses matched with names. This can be sold as an interest list to spammers (people interested in weight management). With the names added to the email address list, it increases the chance the spammers can get through the spam filters of your email supplier (personally addressed mail has a MUCH higher chance of getting through).

Beyond this there is little cause for concern.
  • LoraineGB
    LoraineGB Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    @Ceceev. MFP are doing the appropriate "duty of care" in informing people of the security breach

Beyond this there is little cause for concern.

Thankyou for the explanation Craig, although I’ll leave this up to you, I understand very little apart from ‘change your password’ :D:D:D
  • oykucan
    oykucan Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Exercise: Yes. (90 min walking)
    Calories: Yes.
    Tracking: Yes.
  • am_change
    am_change Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    @craigo3154 no 4 is as ever a big tick. Thank you.

Loved your explanation too. Like Sherlock or Poirot.

Yes x 3. A spinning class this morning and a walk this afternoon (at a toddler's pace hut she goes off piste which adds steps. She found a path today with steps we counted: 100. The last time Id climbed them was at 41 weeks pregnant trying to encourage her to come out so it made me smile that she chose that route).

Thanks for the ride fellow passengers. See you all in April!
  • victorious55
    victorious55 Posts: 3,282 Member
    Options
    Yes x3
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,044 Member
    Options
    Well, once in a blue moon, I have a do nothing day. This was it!
  • drea2011
    drea2011 Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Congrats all!!! See you in April!
    ffk4kgp86gsx.png
    These are the almost ready to celebrate Winner's Circle qualifiers for the month of March
    If your name is not here, please send me a private message.
    The Winner's are:
    @BobWw2017
    @drea2011
    @naomiefaye
    @Gutcutter500
    @oykucan
    @craigo3154
    @MzRuthy
    @RangerRickL
    and honorable mention goes out to @loopydo2017 who is traveling today to Mozambique with her 9 year old daughter for a two week intercultural experience. But for today's trip, she would have qualified.
    Congratulations to all qualifiers!

• w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Exercise - Yes 40 minute walk in the village
    Track - Yes
    Calories - No
  • Crosbinium
    Crosbinium Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    exercise - yes, chair workout
    Tracked - sort of - tried to enter dinner and keep getting an error message. Fitbit isnt synching either.
    Calories - under I did the math instead of MFP
  • naomiefaye
    naomiefaye Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes × 3 I made it!
  • RangerRickL
    Options
    @craigo3154 You are very appreciate by me and the entire UAC team!
    Thanks for the engagement and the encouragement!
  • RangerRickL
    Options
    I am working on new exercises and trying to get stronger; better cardio and better posture.
    Today, I did body weight exercises while learning and doing new exercises with TRX straps. 35 minutes
    Tracking: ok
    Calories; a bit under the limit.