Question for those with dogs (dog parks)

Options
dixiech1ck
dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
Nothing to do with health per say, but, those of you who own dogs, how many of you frequent off-leash enclosed dog parks in your area? And if you do, is this a free, public park or do you have to pay to go in or join?

Replies

• mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    In my town there are several free public dog parks around town (gated areas within regular public parks). No joining required. They all have one section for the big dogs and one section for the little dogs.

Here's mine at one of his favorite parks right before we set him free to play, roam and pee on things at will...

djsxtr5nmeqd.jpg

• dixiech1ck
    Options
    Thanks Mygnac.. we just had a dog park open last month in town. They want to charge $35/mo for two dogs to go. You have to sit through a 2 hour class, submit all kinds of ridiculous paperwork, etc. It seems nobody is going and the park is barren most days after work. It's a shame and sad for those of us who already pay taxes in this town and now they want to ding pet owners. They don't charge for use of the playgrounds for the kids around here!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    dixiech1ck wrote: »
    Thanks Mygnac.. we just had a dog park open last month in town. They want to charge $35/mo for two dogs to go. You have to sit through a 2 hour class, submit all kinds of ridiculous paperwork, etc. It seems nobody is going and the park is barren most days after work. It's a shame and sad for those of us who already pay taxes in this town and now they want to ding pet owners. They don't charge for use of the playgrounds for the kids around here!

That is sad!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I live in DuPage county IL, west of Chicago. The county runs 3 outdoor off-leash parks (maybe more, but I know of three). They charge $40 per year for 1 dog, $5 for each additional. The money goes for upkeep/improvements for the parks and for the extra patrols by the park district police.

The fee program also helps to enforce vaccination guidelines, since dogs must be current on their vaccinations in order to get a permit.

$35/month sounds a little steep, but I don't mind paying what we pay. They are quality parks and it's a bargain to have them IMO.
  • peppermintcaroline
    peppermintcaroline Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Honestly, while the ones around here are free, which is nice in theory, I have essentially stopped going because there were dog fights (not involving my dog), and irresponsible owners. Plus people who started stealing pets to flip on Craigslist. I worked as a Dog Daycare Attendant (and later Director) for a few years, and I would walk in and just cringe at the behavior owners were allowing, and accepting as normal.
  • dixiech1ck
    Options
    Honestly, while the ones around here are free, which is nice in theory, I have essentially stopped going because there were dog fights (not involving my dog), and irresponsible owners. Plus people who started stealing pets to flip on Craigslist. I worked as a Dog Daycare Attendant (and later Director) for a few years, and I would walk in and just cringe at the behavior owners were allowing, and accepting as normal.

Funny you say that... I do that at regular parks with people and their out of control children. You can't win to lose!!
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of that before. That's just ridiculous. I've been to dog parks and there's just a big dog side and a little dog side. My pup went to the big side because he's an *kitten* and harassed the little dogs. He just ended up harassing the big dogs instead.