Intermittent fasting

Options
KSJR78
KSJR78 Posts: 77 Member
Id like to know everyones opinions, how you do it, what things you think break your fast or not etc

Replies

• chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I kind of do it but by default, as I rarely eat breakfast and don't tend to eat until hungry, usually anything between 12 and 2pm or even later however for purists I don't fast, as I do have a coffee with cream at some point after I wake up, for some that isn't fasting and for me it's an essential of life!
  • Shelbeees
    Shelbeees Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been IF now for 3 months but on a regular gluten free diet, I only eat between 5pm and 7pm, but during the day I do drink tea with a small amount of milk. 9 days ago I went Keto and now only eat once a day 6 days a week but eat lunch and dinner on Sunday. I do drink tea and coffee though during the day and it doesn’t seem to affect me. I am down 12.2lb in 9 days
  • KSJR78
    Options
    You have both addressed the issue Im having. I dont eat until after 1pm however I do drink coffee with cream and Im finding conflicting research on whether that breaks your fast or not. I gave up my flavored creamers when I started Keto this time but I dont know if I can get enjoyment out of drinking black coffee LOL
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I'm also not a purist and don't consider my coffee made how I like it as breaking the fast. Until recently that included cream in my coffee, now its unsweetened cocoa powder.

I eat food usually in the very late afternoon or later if possible. One meal. I put it off til as late as I can, because typically night eating has been problematic for my diet on top of daytime food. By waiting til late I can stay within my food plan and feel satisfied, so it's all good.

I also find I have more energy this way. I slow down and get tired after eating food. Even healthy, keto foods! So, it's better for that to happen after the activity part of the day is mostly done and as an unexpected bonus...it leads nicely into falling asleep a couple hours afterward.

Once I went keto, this pattern kind of emerged naturally. It was only later I found out IF and OMAD were actual things.

Purist or not doesn't matter to me. What works for me and what keeps it doable for my needs is what matters to me.
  • KSJR78
    Options
    OMAD?
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I've probably always been IF and not even known it. I typically don't eat from dinner until lunch the next day (~7pm-~11am next day). I am usually not hungry when I first wake up plus I drink a big glass of water to hydrate and then green tea with no sweetener. If I get hungry I might eat something earlier in the morning but those days are the exception and not the rule. I guess when I have coffee with Califia Farms better half that is technically breaking my fast but still I am looking at 12-13 hours without eating even then. It's just become normal to me so I don't even think about it or stress if I do have a snack before lunch. Keto/LCHF has definitely helped me control my mindless eating habits.
  • chinatowninchina
    Options
    KSJR78 wrote: »
    OMAD?

One Meal A Day!!
  • chinatowninchina
    Options
    @elize7 oh there's an idea coffee with cocoa powder, I may try that!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Id like to know everyones opinions, how you do it, what things you think break your fast or not etc

It really depends on the reason you're fasting. I don't fast. If I were to fast it would most likely mean anything except water breaks the fast. Some people dry fast. Zero intake including water unless one counts air.

Anytime I was prescribed to fast for a medical procedure it came with directions specific to the procedure. Nothing except clear liquids. Nothing solid. Nothing red. Nothing by mouth including water. All for X hours.

Fasting has become trendy for weight loss and there is research indicating it may be beneficial for certain medical issues. And longevity. I don't dispute anyone's reasons for fasting. Pick an author. Follow their version. It matters not how other people define fasting. It matters only how it benefits you in regards to the reason you are doing it.
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Today is Day 2 for me. Trying to plan 3 meals and snacks every day is completely overwhelming for me. Once I eat something, I'm starving the rest of the day. I don't know if it's psychological, hormonal, or what but it never fails...the more I eat, the hungrier I am. I'm doing OMAD (one meal a day) and just started yesterday. Yesterday was really easy. Today I am hungry but learning to deal with it. I wake up and have coffee with a keto creamer and then I don't consume any food until dinner. I do have Power Ade Zero throughout the day to keep me "full" and hydrated. So far, so good. I will see how this goes. But I just got fed up with the constant 2-3 lb yo-yoing on the scale.
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    Options

I read somewhere that having additives in your coffee/tea don't break the fast as long as what you're having is under 50 calories - but I think so much depends on how strict you are choosing to be with yourself and your reason for fasting.

I am doing what I can to lose fat and not muscle mass, so I try to keep my IF at 16 hours or less because I've read that in women, over 16 hours can contribute to muscle loss and more severe hormone fluctuations. Of course, this is talking about regular IF, not the occasional longer fasts.
  • MissPensive
    MissPensive Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    OMAD?

One meal a day
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I recently watched Dr. Jason Fung's video series on IF and I really like how he explains it. You can find the first three on YouTube and have to sign up on DietDoctor.com to see the other 4.

My question is, for those of you doing OMAD, do you get ALL of your macros in one sitting? Or do you always come out under? I mean, how can you eat that much in one sitting? Could someone give me an example of what they eat during that one meal please?
  • pendennis
    pendennis Posts: 117 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Weirdly I am reposting because the program will not let me post my original: I have had quite a few OMAD days. And all my friends can see my diary. (Honestly they are all in March but I basically had an OMAD today.) Pay particular attention to my weekend's because on those days are crazy so all I'll get is my bulletproof Coffee and dinner. I usually have a protein with a good fat content, I ensure I use coconut oil or good butter to cook with, (I count those calories too) use good fats for dressings and it can add up quickly. If I need a little boost at the end of the night I'll do a fat bomb to finish my day.
  • Bill_Keto
    Bill_Keto Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    pendennis wrote: »
    Weirdly I am reposting because the program will not let me post my original: I have had quite a few OMAD days. And all my friends can see my diary. (Honestly they are all in March but I basically had an OMAD today.) Pay particular attention to my weekend's because on those days are crazy so all I'll get is my bulletproof Coffee and dinner. I usually have a protein with a good fat content, I ensure I use coconut oil or good butter to cook with, (I count those calories too) use good fats for dressings and it can add up quickly. If I need a little boost at the end of the night I'll do a fat bomb to finish my day.

same for me for this week Keto Coffee breakfast and then dinner

Next week OMAD only dinner no Keto coffee

Keto Coffee (bulletproof) has to be considered a meal IMO.