Am somewhat lost

Options
stevephi01
stevephi01 Posts: 240 Member
edited April 2018 in Social Groups
Hello, I was told a couple of decades ago I had an under active thyroid and needed to take Eltroxin (levothyroxine) for the rest of my life. For all the time since I've never really questioned the diagnosis, took it as told.

No surprise I'm battling with weight loss, succeeded in getting it down but hit a plateau and some awful side effects. I have never experienced hypothyroidism to the extent I have in the past few months - so have taken a far greater interest in what it is all about.
In spite of being on the tablet for so long, I am an absolute novice in understanding the effects.

As with many, I only have the TSH reading to go on. I know there is something no longer in balance, feeling I can no longer rely on what I'm told, "that it's OK".

Hence being somewhat lost, have read so much and quite frankly have an info overload.

Am I on the right path to get back to 'basics' and have a private blood test and try and establish the values of T3 T4 and reverse T3, vitamins etc? It does seem the right place to start, but as I cannot confront any form of resistance I'd rather not know the outcome. Well, seem to be stuck in a roundabout.

I'd appreciate to hear from others who have been in this place and possibly can nudge me in the right direction, I could be totally on the wrong track and need to explore other avenues.

Thank you, either way.

Replies

• staceytschilar
    staceytschilar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have only recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism (July 2017) and later with Hashimoto's (Sept 2017) so I would think there are many more experienced members of the group who can comment - however I would say yes, that it will be helpful to you to get those blood test values and then maybe also test for TPOAb - thyroid peroxidase antibody, to identify Hashimoto's disease. I only say that because, Hashimoto's is considered an autoimmune disease and I have made significant changes to my diet as a result. I am currently not taking any other medications or supplements other than the levothyroxine 50 mcg daily. I hope you find the information you are looking for!
  • stevephi01
    Options
    Thanks Stacey for the reminder to make sure the antibody test is included, I ought to know if it is Hashimoto's rather than what the Dr at my last visit had assumed it was and treat accordingly based on fact.
    It seems like quite a drastic (for me anyway) change to diet, in fact I think most things which should be cut or reduced are what I have most - could explain why I'm feeling the way I am, fuelling the problem.
    My latest TSH results should be due in a day or two, will see what that looks like first, if the response from the DR is 'carry on as usual' , I'll order the tests.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Hi Steve,

Stacy is correct. If you can manage to have antibodies added to your blood tests this will tell you if you are simply hypo because of a lack of iodine and other minerals or is as she says something more devious is at play. For too may years doctors have treated both nutritional hypo and Hashi exactly the same. Unfortunately and this will start to sound scary and I'm very sorry for that. Its far from simple. Firstly, everyone's experience of Hashi is different, something like 300 possible symptoms according to one site. Autoimmunity happens when one's immune system considers our own cells as alien and sets about destroying them. In the case of Hashimoto's it the thyroid. The dietary changes Stacy has made will be ones to attempt to reduce the threat to her thyroid gland, doing this is well worth it.

I was given the run around by my allocated NHS doctors. Levo did not help me one bit, amplifying problems in liquid and pill form.

I've read levo and reduce the number and variety of digestive microbes one has. I would hope this could be your answer. Also if you have ever had a course of antibiotics or taken an over the counter pain relief these can also make a difference. Many people think what I have just written is rubbish. I can only say I find using digestive microbes very helpful. I would suggest you try some which do not amplify histamine. I use ones by Optibac they have everyday ones which are not histamine producing, but I recommend ones for use with or after antibiotics, those really helped me and I'd not taken antibiotics for something like 8 years. There are now others you should find them with a search.

I had tests to see if there were any foods I reacted to. It is often suggested to give up milk many are reactive to either the casein, protein or lactose. From my experience you know within 48 hours with no dairy of any kind, like cheese. Another exclusion is gluten, again not everyone reacts, my test said not, but tests are not always right. If you were to set about excluding gluten, its a long hall, some see improvements in 6 weeks others 6 months and if one becomes contaminated it can take equally long to remove. (Please take heart. I was reading up on salicylate intolerance, that is me. It was said by one doctor, its easier to contend with gluten than salicylate, I laughed or I'd have cried, gone back to basics to try to overcome an arthritic flare up of 6 months) Others suggest avoiding cruciferous veg, the cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and the like, avoiding soy can be beneficial, much depends on what effects you.

Sometimes conversion from t4 as in levo to t3, I don't remember the technical term. For the conversion to be made more cleanly the body needs selenium, and other vitamins and minerals, as well as the iodine which levo is a synthetic form of, this is where an optimum diet could come in. Eggs are very good for more or less everything, a medium one has 24micron of iodine it is said one needs 150 or 300 per day a fraction of a teaspoon a year. Fish, dairy and dark green veg are all good. Where conversion is problematical as long as you are not in the UK you could be offered the synthetic form of t3.

This is rather long and not all it is helpful to have in mind. please read from, stop the thyroid madness, many say it is pro natural dedicated thyroid products but its a good place to learn. Hypo thyroid mom is also good. I think both have lists of doctors who take thyroid issues seriously. There are other sites such as national ones.

All the best, once you find what is right for you there is life after hashi. I've been trying to think how to answer you without filling a page full of stuff which may be too much at one go. Sorry, I'll come back if I can help more and when my tea is not on the table.

Best take it one step at a time establish its hashi and go from there.
  • jriffey
    jriffey Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Steve just wanted to lend my support although I am not the most compliant of people and also have to keep picking myself up and working on the wellness aspect. You didn’t specify what’s not feeling right so I’m guessing maybe lack of energy or feeling unmotivated? I’ve been treated for autoimmune hypothyroidism for about 15 years. What I’ve found through my journey is that my general practitioner was not always the most knowledgeable on the current treatment options for hypothyroidism. They have so much to treat that they can’t be an expert in everything! I looked for a functional medicine or naturopathic physician to help me work on the whole wellness picture with thyroid, hormones, and adrenals. I’ve also worked with an endocrinologist for about a year when I was monitoring a thyroid nodule, but I found they are very single focused on just the thyroid and I needed someone to see the big picture. Don’t get overwhelmed or discouraged trying to make lifestyle changes all at once. Some people can do that, but I’m not one of those. Baby steps are ok, at least it’s a step in the right direction. As you start feeling better, you’ll have more energy and motivation to care for yourself.
  • stevephi01
    Options
    Thank you very much for your replies there is so much to take in. I have been doing quite a bit of reading, got overwhelmed and an overdose of mental fatigue!

Yes lack of energy, no motivation, fuzziness, concentration virtually non existent, getting very cold, very irregular bowel movements, have managed to lose half the weight I set out to shed, went OK for about 6 weeks and then started with all of these symptoms (was OK before) - needless to say the weight loss has stopped and I'm yo-yo-ing within a 2 kg band which I suspect is water retention.
    I also seem to have acquired an abundance of procrastination, I've lost count how many times I've put the blood tests in the basket only to cancel everything before checking out! My reluctance to go ahead is more to do with what do I do with the results more than being lazy and completing the transaction.

I have made the assumption that my NHS Doctor won't help very much (that's what you get for reading too much!), not having the energy to fight my corner I'll give up if fobbed off - which basically implies I've given up before I've even started. However I have now put a stack in the ground, made an appointment to see a senior partner as my Doctor is unavailable and not taking appointments. I'll have to wait nearly a month to see him though. Plenty of time for me to write everything down.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Options
    A hug from the central south coast here. I hope you have more success with the senior partner. If you can get good support from the NHS, its all to the good.

Wrighting everything down which worries you is good. You could also print off a couple of days from here to show your diet. (I do not hold out much hope for your diet being of interest. Its 8 years ago I was told, changing what you eat will not make a difference. That was with our senior partner)

A recent "food programme" BBC 4, Sunday lunch time, was been about the interest medical students are taking in diet and its effects on health. I can't remember the date, probably 3 weeks ago. Students at one teaching facility set up their own group intersted in food associated issues and the idea is spreading through the country to other universities, according to the program. I was thrilled by this interesting development, possibly a result of the "Trust me" and other programs, may be "doctor in the house" and other we have had in recent years.

I don't think there is one of us who can't relate to your issues. I've said, my get up and go, got up and went. Weight, your 2 kg, just over 4lb in my speak is common fluctuation. Please take heart, weight does varey. It does depend on so much. Like you say it could be water, salt can be an influence as can greater physical activity as the muscles repair themselves. Also poor bathroom visits are the worst. You are not alone.

There is so much which might just help, its about discovering what is right for yourself. It can be baffling. I'm glad you are starting with your doctors visit. Its unlikely you will have t3 added to your test list. Mine was only done 5 years ago in the immunology department. If you can push for an antibody test this will be an improvement it will tell you if you are Hashi or not. After that you can take a deep breath and see how you go.

All the very best and support from here.
  • stevephi01
    Options
    Thank you Fuzziepeg, I'll take look on iPlayer and see if it is still available.

Good idea about taking the eating plan along, might also do a month to view print of my exercise regime, even if its not looked at I hope the mere fact I'm trying is noted. One thing I have noticed this year is I am unable to build muscle, have a had a bit of success in the past, so that's on my list too - rather a lot to cram in 10 minutes.
    I'll see what he is willing to do, I would imagine T3 won't be mentioned as that's almost a none event - I recall mentioning T3 in the past with my nominated Dr and she dismissed it straight away. If not too much is on offer, I'll broach the subject of having 'private tests' and how he'd feel about me taking them to him. Failing that I may have to go visit a Thyroid friendly Dr in Harley Street - so I know I have options.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Options
    I agree 10 minutes in not very long to talk all this through with any one. t3, is off the table, I'm sure. For some reason the NHS is supposed to pay more for it than other health systems. Quite a while ago, the radio program "You and yours" were saying even those who were already on t3 were becoming unable to get it. I don't think you will get much shrift on showing private blood tests. True the ones I held out were not straight thyroid ones, they related to dietary reactions, I was told, "I don't understand these". They were from a top US Lab.

I'm sorry you are having problems increasing muscle. I lost strength in my legs last summer probably combined with arthritis, it often feels like one thing building on another, comes harder after some progress. I hope you receive some advice on all this. It probably will mean Harley Street, though there are a few about who might be able to help. The BANT nutritionist I see consults in Harley St and fortunately locally. (I can't travel on public transport because of the salicylate and histamine both probably in some part down to thyroid issues, or so the Immunologist would have me believe.)

Unfortunately thyroid problems are not simple, definitely not as simple as NICE would have everyone believe. For some reason the orchestra which should be our endocrine system is out of sync. There are so many points at which one gland can unbalance another, most issues show in thyroid insufficiency. One way or another you will find a way to achieve some relief.

Please let me know how you get on, keep in contact anyway if you would like.
  • stevephi01
    Options
    Thank you, on the strength of your replies I've once again gone round the roundabout - this time taking a different exit and have actually placed a blood test order!

I'm sorry to hear of your ongoing struggle.

My decision to go ahead was based on the knowledge that I'd likely not get the 'basics' from the DR, not that they don't want to help but their hands are tied by the system. I've taken on board that taking my results wouldn't get me too far either.
    The best I can hope for from the tests is the figures are normal or close enough and work on other possible triggers.

The mere fact I've gone ahead and placed the order is indicative I'm feeling a tiny bit 'better'/stronger - best to push the button whilst I can, might land in a heap again and then couldn't be bothered.

In fear of sounding like I'm latching onto every possible ailment, the lack of muscle gain is consistent with a few other issues which may possibly be due to lower than normal testosterone levels either as a causation or effect from elsewhere. When I asked the Dr reviewing my meds if a test could be done I was fobbed off - so that's an issue for another day and not for this thread ;) sorry.
    Some of the symptoms overlap those experienced with thyroid-ism, potentially a case of the tail wagging the dog, I just have work which one is the tail!
  • Fuzzipeg
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Its good you feel a tiny bit better/stronger, would that it were more. It really helps taking an active part in your health.

I'm wondering about the test kit you have. I noticed a change in ones through one charity, they direct you to one of the private hospitals chains to have the test drawn? (I was told I could not use the local surgery, and they are all too happy for one to go private, takes the pressure off their budgets) When you receive the test results from the lab, they will probably be shown in diagrammatic form, your specific numbers will be shown to be at this point and their position within the expected frame.

It crossed my mind reading you last post. Might you benefit from vit d. One department or other suggested many of us in the UK should take some. Most of us are not out side as much as we were when we were younger. The amount of vit d, is 2000 international unitis, (this does not seem to equate to micrograms, its a number health people hit on.) No two international units are the same it seems, they relate to the individual item...... Vit d can raise your spirits as well as contributing to improvements in other areas of your health. I assume you are achieving your protein levels. Just the MFP, calculated for you is good. If you are light this might be reducing your ability to muscle loss.

So many symptoms cross reference each other in so many different ills. Until I took qualified advice, I found the best thing was to follow the principal symptom and see the advice from several different reputable sites and take the majority view. This endocrine system of ours is complicated its all supposed to work together till something throws a spanner in the works, its trying to remove the spanner without doing greater damage, which a fine art. Each of the endocrine glands exerts influences on another to produce the appropriate hormones and enzymes. The thyroid is common for exhibiting difficulties this can be because other parts are working too hard or not hard enough. Its a balancing act the NHS is loathed to get into, IMView.

Another thing. In the past you mentioned bathroom difficulties. I would assume you are drinking sufficient fluids, I drink mostly filtered water. Many experts on diet say our modern diets do not contain enough fibre. Things which might help are, as mentioned on the front group page, Flax seeds, also good for omega 3, and psyllium husks. Flax seeds can be found in many supermarkets, possibly sprinkle 15 g on your breakfast grains. Psyllium husks you can find them in packets in any health food store, they can even in capsules. If you use them loose they coagulate very quickly. In capsules its quite tidy you need to follow with a good quantity of water. Please do not be tempted to add capsules in particular too quickly take some time to discover what works for you, may be one capsule on the first day regardless of what the packet says. Monitor the effect. Once a regular routine is established some other issues may also lift.

(I'm wondering if my recent problems are in part down to lowering my Omega 3 levels. Normal useage is 1-3 large capsules but within the salicylate sensitive world, up to 10 a day is considered apropriate. I reduced from 9 at the behest of the nutritionist, today I'm upping to 9 again and will see what happens, restoration, I hope.) added, Salicylate and histamine intolerances are know always in someone's training.

As always, only do what you know is right for you. Take care.
  • stevephi01
    Options
    I've gone for the Thyroid Check PLUS ELEVEN through Blue Horizon, there are more complete tests but those would require me going to a BMI clinic for the draw. My surgery won't do it, I was procrastinating how I'd get to the hospital which for some reason is in the back-end of nowhere so settled on a finger prick test which I'll attempt when I get the kit, hopefully tomorrow.

I am taking Vit D, more by accident. Soon after I was diagnosed hypo I was at the dentist, he took an x-ray and went and called my Dr (was a medi-clinic in Johannesburg, SA) What he discovered was my bone density was lower than it ought to have been, so have been on Calcium for years. A similar check was done a few years ago by the dentist in the UK and he was happy with the bone density. The current tablets I have contain Vit D, but are the cheap as chips buy two get one free supermarket brand. I did check the amount once and got confused with the value, but seem to remember it did equate to 2000 iu.

I have an admission to make, I've never really taken much notice of the reports here, Just been having a sniff about and the graphs don't make a pretty picture. Carbs are usually at or just above 'limit', protein is usually well below, except at weekends when it will go just over, I also noticed potassium is fairly low too. I also am one who doesn't have enough fibre. I have Fybogel, but the box just sits on the table - I did take it a month ago, tried one a day for a few days. I think that was too much. maybe alternate days - not to be too graphic, it takes about three days to 'work'. I think when I've finished what I have, I'll try the capsules.
    When I was feeling better, I used to drink at least 2 litres of filtered water a day - but at the moment I've fallen back to my old ways and drinking more coffee again. I had virtually cut that out (1 a day) in Jan and Feb - but when the wheels fell off I started to backtrack on the things I had cut out.

I don't think I take Omega 3 supplements (again cheap and cheerful supermarket multivit) and am not good at eating foods rich in it - I'm not a big fan of oily fish. Prior to finding out I was hypo I had very high cholesterol and the big thing back then was cut eggs, so I learnt to live on 1 a week - I've never really recovered from that and am up to a heady 4 a week. The cholesterol readings are good now though.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Options
    I've not come across the Blue Horizon finger prick tests. I've not looked for a couple of years. I'm sure it will be good. You can see where you go when you get the results.

I like the Southafrican system. You are the second person I've known who have had things picked up out there which would not have been noticed, even now here. My friend used to sware by over ripe babanas for his digestive issues, I understand this is an african treatment. Well done on the vit d.

I get that you don't like the Fybogel way, way back I used to mix them for ladies in a care home. Please use the rest of the box as per instructions, try an extra glass of water with or after it. Might bring you round a little sooner, it was rather thick and gloopy. Then before you run out, get to a health food shop and find some phsylium capsules, down in one go, with a very good glug of water, sorted. Doing this will help you with coming round from feeling off too.

Thinking filtered water, you could put a squeeze of lemon into it. (I was advised to have the diluted juice of half a lemon to help with digestion first thing) please do not drink lemon straight or too much of it because it can make the stomach soar.

Having a thyroid level closer to a good level would have helped with the cholesterol, please don't ask me to tell you how. Its there in medical references.

If you can try to up your protein levels. You can't keep up your strength if you are substantially lower. If you find this really difficult there are ranges of protein powders which might help. Our local Tesco's have given up the small packs they used to do by Pulsin. Please don't consider anything with soy in it, this has been recognised as being problematic for the thyroid. Oh, if you are tempted by protein bars they will have sugars in them. Another way to achieve protein is from nuts, I think its Wallnuts which have omega 3 in, its Brazills for selienum. Other nuts are just good, if you can eat them. Oh and don't forget cheese, it does not need to be regular cheddar, you could try some of the others. Like other foods its best to weigh and log them, there are some nice small digital ones available.

You will get there, believe, you will.
  • stevephi01
    Options
    I'd forgotten about the over ripe banana, I have one but that is for my apple and raisin muffin which I make for my lunch - use the banana instead of butter. Another treatment, but for the other end of the scale, for upset tummies we'll turn to Rooibos (Red Bush) tea - have it black and if it needs a bit of sweetening then we'll use some honey.

I tend to have cheese over the weekend, I have weakness for it, so do tend to avoid the temptation of getting it out.
    Thanks for the protein powder tips, I've found the Pulsin @ Tesco Online. However knowing I needed to increase it I pulled out the unopened bag of peanuts which were supposed to have been for last Christmas. Fortunately they are not heavily salted and I'm well within my salt limits - that did push me over my daily limit for the first time. Protein intake was at its highest level this year, I also went all out to try and improve the Potassium intake - managed to double it from normal, but even so am just over half of what I ought to be - so that's work in progress. MFP were also reporting my fat intake was low, well the peanuts sorted that out quick enough ;) Today the fibre intake was over for a change, so the Fybogel will stay in the box at least another day.
    I don't mind the Fybogel, trick is mix it up and drink straight away don't give it a chance to go thick. The problem I had was I took as directed in the evening, when nothing happened in the morning, I took another one as per directions. It really made me uncomfortable and I think taking the second dose made it worse - not so much next time!

I have a digital scale, best purchase ever, I had a hit and miss mechanical one before and at best one could get was within 25 grammes if I was lucky.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Options
    I'd not wanted to go into the details of the ripe banana, I thought you would appreciate a memory. My d.i.l loves her Red Bush, I don't think she has any southern connections.

That was a neat way of increasing your protein. I had forgotten to say some nuts are better than others for fibre too. I hope you can find a regular way to up your protein it needs to be things you really enjoy. I'm pleased you had scope on your fat allocation too. You probably remember how fat was demonised in the past. It serves several functions, its needed for hormones, I think its part of their transportation too, don't quote me on that. Then once its work is done it ends up making things softer too. Fybergel is best in the box. The box might be equally helpful, giggle.

You are doing well. Its all about what works for you. One has to be comfortable one's own skin.
  • stevephi01
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Thank you, the box might be tastier ;)

Well I think I may well have got onto something with last nights adjustments, in spite of being calorific-ally over goal I have lost a kilo (2.2lbs) overnight.
    I agree with historic demonising foods in the past, like the eggs and fat - turns out that 'medical fad' was wrong and in fact is causing more trouble than it was intended to relieve.

However my feel good about it all came crashing down today when the test kit arrived, try as I may I couldn't get the required amount in the tube, in fact hardly 1 drop of the required 18 went in, so it's been sent back and I've cancelled the test and getting a refund. I now have two sore and bruised fingers! I am gutted about it not working not made any better when the Post Office refused to accept the packet saying it was the wrong size for the service I selected, the exact same service which was used to send to me and no problems Royal Mail delivering it <rant over ;) >

Ah well, as the saying/song goes - One more time around Piccadilly Circus, driver follow that bus
  • Fuzzipeg
    Options
    I feel for you. I'd not realised they would need so much from a pin prick. You were brave to try. Having cold hands or being dry can make all the difference but lets not dwell on things. Royal Mail goes and compounds the problem! I hope you have been able to make alternative arrangements to return it. The first time we sent a private blood test I was fearful they would not accept it at the post office. I was fortunate to have someone who knows the rules.

The up side of today is the weight you have lost. Sorry the peanuts put you over on calories. Being a little over from time to time is not going to sink the ship. A few peanuts are better than a similar weight in bread, not all calories are equal, something with protein in is better than just sugars. Its best not to make a habit of going over. You could always take yourself off for a half hour walk, to have earned calories under your belt to cover the problem.

Thinking where to go from here. You've discovered so much in the last few days. May be work on keeping your protein and other numbers in good order until you see your doctor. In the three weeks or so with your new regime you should see some improvements in strength and a little more weight loss. (progress may not be linier though) I would sacrifice simple carbs in favour of getting protein etc to a good level. Some find being down by 50g per day on MFP suggestions helps with weight loss. If you enjoy your coffee I hope you will continue to let yourself enjoy one or two a day. Its possible if you have not been taking care of yourself for a while this could put you back where you used to be. Probably see how you go with the changes so far, it takes time for things to bed in so to speak.

All the best.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Options
    I hope things are still moving in the right direction. I hope you are experiencing a change for the better.

Oh! Btw, if you have not bought some pulsin whey protein, i'd advise you don't. the pack i have just bought went clumpy in both hot and cold circumstances. I did not mine the pea taste of the pea protein nor minded the grain in the rice one but clumpy, not thanks. I need to look at the dates on it.

All the best
  • stevephi01
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Lumping along, thanks, hit a pothole yesterday - very small set-back. Either I didn't measure right or there was a problem, but my Blood Pressure dropped very low (was feeling pretty awful, hence the test)- I've been on medication for a few years. I didn't take it the day of the failed blood 'test', but did take a reading in the morning and seemed pretty good. That evening was about the same, so decided I best not take any more tabs but monitor it - then the crash, was OK last night and the same today I have a phone appointment with a DR next week, the earliest I can speak to someone about it. If it goes up, then I'll take them.

I haven't bought any protein supplements, I Rather like the peanuts for now ;) next week I'm going to have chicken for my lunch, so ought to be able to boost the figures.

I did buy Potassium and Selenium supplements today lunch time, far too early to say, but I'm feeling a bit perkier this afternoon - maybe because it's Friday >:) I'm not as washed out, lets hope it isn't another few hour wonder and there are more up than down moments

I'll keep an eye on things and let you know - thanks for following up.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Options
    I'm sorry to read of your sudden drop in blood pressure. It is possible a significant b-movement particularly two after a period of constipation can cause a blood pressure drop. Its complicated but if any pressure in the body is reduced significantly the veins and arteries are also under less pressure. It might be an idea to go carefully on the potassium because this is an essential mineral but it is involved in the salt balance which can lower blood pressure through the kidneys. Its probable best to find it in fruit and vegies for better control. Dark green vegies, bananas, oranges and the like. Selenium does aid conversion of t4 to th3 active form t3 which could improve how you are feeling. Not being clogged up will also have helped because the elimination of by-products of life will have been removed along with the potential for toxic build up. There is nothing simple about the way our bodies work.

I'm pleased you are to speak with your doctor in the coming week. I'm sure this will be very helpful, whether you can achieve a t3 test is doubtful. If you can try for antibody testing this will be good because you will know if you have progressed to Hashimoto's, Graves is less likely, both are auto immune and there are other things which can help reduce the antibodies, one step at a time, is good.

When you have a better idea of your current thyroid status there are several UK supplement companies which provide thyroid supplements some use straight forward vitamins and minerals others use plant extracts. Higher Nature is one, BioCare is another. Both are available on line and have an education area on their site and support. Nutri Advanced is a third, all three have been mentioned to me by my nutritionist but I can't remember if you need a prescribing person's introduction for Nutri Advanced. I've not seen their products in our local store but that does not mean they are not available else where.

Try not to take too many steps all at once, it is so tempting. Pprobably keep up with the selenium till after you have spoken with your doctor and may be have had a blood test take. Your base like will be less complicated.

All the very best.
  • stevephi01
    Options
    Thanks.

It looks like the BP drop well below normal was a one off, yesterday it did dip a bit below the magical 120/80, but was OK 2 hours later when I rechecked. Overall feeling much better, still not right, but not at the bottom of a well.
    I've got a bit more 'fight' in me, so am more inclined to get to a BMI hospital for a proper blood draw.

The phone consult was really only to give me the blood test results from the beginning of the month, but I'll use the opportunity to address my BP and leave the thyroid discussion for when I see the Snr Partner.