Dr. Vuong’s video on not going to the gym

Options
Trailtramper74
Trailtramper74 Posts: 135 Member
edited April 2018 in Social Groups
Has anyone seen Dr. Vuong’s video on not going to the gym or working out until you are at or near goal? I have been working out since early on. I am four months post VSG. I am currently stalled. I am not overly concerned about the stall. My doc said go back to liquids for a week, which I started today. However, Dr. Vuong’s theory on us not having enough calories to work out makes sense. Yet, one can likely make sense of most things if one tries hard enough.

Replies

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing 95% of other doctors would not give that advice. When I was 4 months post op I was eating regular foods and doing fine. Your last sentence kind of says it all. If that theory makes sense to you, then... Personally, I don't believe (and the SCIENCE backs it up) weight loss really isn't about calories anyway. But there are so many other benefits to exercise.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My NUT stresses weight training only for the first six months. She said to use your cardio as a warmup, but save the hard cardio for when your weight slows down after about 6 months.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    My doctor's office gives a free gym membership along with surgery, so they encourage exercise. Personally, I believe you have to start building an exercise habit in the first year to promote weight loss and maintain after you get there. It's interesting that the guidelines of bariatric surgery aren't the same from different surgery sites.
  • Trailtramper74
    Options
    loveshoe wrote: »
    My doctor's office gives a free gym membership along with surgery, so they encourage exercise. Personally, I believe you have to start building an exercise habit in the first year to promote weight loss and maintain after you get there. It's interesting that the guidelines of bariatric surgery aren't the same from different surgery sites.

My doctor definitely believes in exercise as well, and I was working out before and since surgery. I just find it interesting because Dr. Vuong has such a huge following, and his patient’s are so successful. I am not going to stop exercising because I lose my cardiovascular fitness too easily.
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I hiked and walked a lot throughout my weight loss period and lost 120 lbs to my goal in 8 months. I don’t buy it!
  • elle77belle
    elle77belle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When I was working Out I had to eat some carbs beforehand. I started getting really bad dizzy spells and started to almost pass out at the gym. You will find a balance that works for you and your body. Everyone is different. Keep a shake with you for right after. :)
  • Trailtramper74
    Options
    Thanks. I am fine working out. It is just the theory I was looking at. I am glad you found what works for you.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I agree you can't out exercise a bad diet. Lose weight in the kitchen get fit in the gym.

For me - Eating right and exercise complement each other well.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bj0P5_wpWl0

I don't agree when he said. Working out will hurt your self esteem because you can't move enough and burn enough exercising if you are obese. When you feel bad about yourself it will cause you to eat bad choices. This may be true for some patients but definitely not all.

I started walking the day after surgery (Dr. instructions) At three months I worked out at a higher intensity on low calories. I replaced stress/emotional eating with working out. It help build up my confidence and self esteem.
  • sexygatubela77
    sexygatubela77 Posts: 46 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Samquentin wrote: »

Here it is for quick reference, I am 5'4".

HW: 313
    SW 10/2016- 313
    RNY bypass: 5/16/17- 264

Great work!! We have similar stats. My HW was 316 and now weigh 148. I also began exercising before and after the surgery. I had the sleeve.