are persistent charlie horses diabetic nerve pain?

Options
liznotyet
liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
Hi - this problem has been haunting me for about two months, especially after days of long seated/walking burst sessions, that my calves ripple and cramp when I lay down. Anyone else? Any ideas? I have tried balancing my mineral and vitamin and water intake, it may have reduced the symptoms but not taken them away.

Replies

• wdnisbet
    wdnisbet Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    This is a great question. It never occurred to me that severe muscle cramps might be diabetes related. I look forward to any insights anyone can offer.

I have had charlie horses so severe I once was actually hospitalized for 2 nights. I would love to find an answer.
  • KetoTheKingdom
    KetoTheKingdom Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Here's a resource:
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/mobileart.asp?articlekey=2024

Assuming you're on a reduced-carb diet and are taking in plenty of water and sodium, I might suggest adding potassium (look for salt substitutes in your grocery store) and magnesium to your diet. This really helped my resting leg cramps!
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    You should discuss this with your doctor. You may be suffering from intermittent claudication which is a symptom of peripheral artery disease which unfortunately is a common complication of diabetes

Here is a link to the google search results

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=intermittent+claudication

• liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jay. The doctor didn't think it was PAD and did check the foot pulse and sent me home with the recommendation to take something to help me sleep. That didn't help, but some very targeted physical therapy exercises seem to have diminished the symptoms. I will ask the doctor about PAD next time.
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Might be lack of magnesium.
  • sarahtrust
    sarahtrust Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    low magnesium may be the cause, I suffered from leg pains /cramps etc but these improved markedly when I started taking magnesium Worth reading about magnesium and the 300 jobs it does in the body , fact that soils may be depleted in magnesium too. (" Wikihow" has good article on magnesium with pictures that are rapidly absorbed and helpful. Could also ensure your diet is nutritionally dense and macronutrients are included.
  • sarahtrust
    sarahtrust Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I meant "micronutrients" of course Sorry