Flaring temper on keto... Help?

Options
amandammmq
amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
Hello all, I have been eating keto for over 3 months now, and I'm pleased with the weight loss, decreased cravings, etc. However, I have noticed that I am WAY more crabby than I used to be, and I feel like it's starting to affect my romantic relationship! I'm usually pretty even keeled, but for the past few months, I lose my temper, feel sad, or get my feelings hurt at the drop of a hat.

I haven't been logging food, but when I was, I was faithfully sticking with 25 net carbs, probably a bit under on fats, and eating more protein than called for. I've been sticking with those recipes that I was cooking when I was logging, and I feel confident that I'm still hitting those marks. Not sure if any of this could be linked? I also do gentle exercise a few times a week and get about 7 hours of sleep per night.

Have others had this happen, and if so, what was the solution? This is not fair to my partner, and it's making me feel miserable (except when I'm trying on smaller trousers, LOL).

Replies

• FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    What’s your calorie intake like? I’ve noticed that I go from hungry to hangry really easily on keto, and I try to eat often enough to avoid that because it’s not pleasant!
  • amandammmq
    Options
    What’s your calorie intake like? I’ve noticed that I go from hungry to hangry really easily on keto, and I try to eat often enough to avoid that because it’s not pleasant!

I'm 5'11" and 195, and take in about 1700-1800 calories per day. I do try to only eat 3 times a day, as recommended by Dr. Fung's books (letting insulin levels calm back down between meal times)
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Um, for me, getting my period every 3 (freakin') weeks vs. 4-5 has caused me to have some not-so-pretty moments. And it's heavier, too.
  • amandammmq
    Options
    Um, for me, getting my period every 3 (freakin') weeks vs. 4-5 has caused me to have some not-so-pretty moments. And it's heavier, too.

I'm not noticing any cyclical problems, it's pretty constant throughout the month. I hope this levels out for you, because that sounds terrible!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    amandammmq wrote: »
    Hello all, I have been eating keto for over 3 months now, and I'm pleased with the weight loss, decreased cravings, etc. However, I have noticed that I am WAY more crabby than I used to be, and I feel like it's starting to affect my romantic relationship! I'm usually pretty even keeled, but for the past few months, I lose my temper, feel sad, or get my feelings hurt at the drop of a hat.

I haven't been logging food, but when I was, I was faithfully sticking with 25 net carbs, probably a bit under on fats, and eating more protein than called for. I've been sticking with those recipes that I was cooking when I was logging, and I feel confident that I'm still hitting those marks. Not sure if any of this could be linked? I also do gentle exercise a few times a week and get about 7 hours of sleep per night.

Have others had this happen, and if so, what was the solution? This is not fair to my partner, and it's making me feel miserable (except when I'm trying on smaller trousers, LOL).

I'm 64 so not influenced by cyclical mood swings/PMS. Eating keto didn't/doesn't make me "crabby". Probably more to the opposite.

Personally, I would consider whether or not it is the actual relationship or is is it keto? Are you "crabby" in general now or just with the romantic relationship? No need to answer. Just something to ponder maybe.
  • amandammmq
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    If you're losing fat you could be dumping stored estrogen into your body. It can lead to PMS-like symptoms.

Any sense of how long that lasts for? I hope it's not for as long as I'm losing weight!
  • stacybaker707
    stacybaker707 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've got the same thing going on but only on day 8 of keto. My poor husband is always hearing it from me lately. I do notice that it's worse when I am really hungry, so I need to try and eat every few hours.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Low sodium can have an effect too. symptoms of needing more salt are fatigue, moodiness, headaches, muscle aches, BM issues and such. If you aren't getting at least 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day (2300mg sodium in a tsp of salt) then you might want to increase your salt with boullion, salt tablets, or even a spoon of salt with water.

Also, some people do find that the high fat does not agree with depression or other similar issues. Conversely, most seem to find that LCHF helps with those issues... but there are some for whom very LCHF doesn't agree with them. If you've tried more salt, and are eating enough, you may want to change your carb levels.

Good luck!
  • amandammmq
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    amandammmq wrote: »

I'm 64 so not influenced by cyclical mood swings/PMS. Eating keto didn't/doesn't make me "crabby". Probably more to the opposite.

Personally, I would consider whether or not it is the actual relationship or is is it keto? Are you "crabby" in general now or just with the romantic relationship? No need to answer. Just something to ponder maybe.

Definitely worth considering! I'm getting irritated by things that definitely did not irritate me prior to starting keto, and I'm more irritable in general... I just manage not to snap when I'm at work and I save my grouchy reactions for home, apparently. :-(
  • amandammmq
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Low sodium can have an effect too. symptoms of needing more salt are fatigue, moodiness, headaches, muscle aches, BM issues and such. If you aren't getting at least 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day (2300mg sodium in a tsp of salt) then you might want to increase your salt with boullion, salt tablets, or even a spoon of salt with water.

Also, some people do find that the high fat does not agree with depression or other similar issues. Conversely, most seem to find that LCHF helps with those issues... but there are some for whom very LCHF doesn't agree with them. If you've tried more salt, and are eating enough, you may want to change your carb levels.

Good luck!

Thank you, I will experiment with this! I'm not noticing the "keto flu" symptoms that I did right at the beginning (that salt did seem to help), but I'll make sure to pay attention to sodium levels. And, if more salt doesn't help, maybe I will play around with carb levels a bit, to find that "edge" or "maximum" amount of carb that I can eat. Great tips!
  • Phoenix_Dawn
    Phoenix_Dawn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was super moody the other day, everything was irritating me. I was hungry and getting a headache. By the time I got my food home to eat I literally had a meltdown because my hamburger wasn't good. I had a cry and realized I needed salt. I ate some salt with a glass of water and finished my supper off with an avocado loaded with salt and I felt better within 20 minutes. My husband didn't know what to do with me. I was irrationally upset. I truly believe it was my need for salt.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    My guess is low sodium. If you’re not supplementing, it’s pretty much guaranteed to be low. Supplementing is much more than you can get from just salting food.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I would think 3 months would put you out of the withdrawal symptoms that might occur from letting go of comfort foods and sugar. It can happen if you consume a lot of caffeine and then reduce or stop all together but they usually subside within a few days or couple weeks. A mindfulness approach might help out (https://www.mindful.org/meditation/mindfulness-getting-started/) its not a cure-all but can help you cope with those pesky negative thoughts. It has helped me in listening to my wife, communicating with her, and dealing with my own personal poo before bringing up any issues with her.
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Good_Morning_Glory Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    If you're losing fat you could be dumping stored estrogen into your body. It can lead to PMS-like symptoms.

Oh....goody. :|

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options

It's good to be aware of these things but no need to "own" them just because they do happen to some.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Switching from Keto to low carb had proven to work better for me.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

LORI!!!!!!