Help for a beginner!

Options
miriaml5
miriaml5 Posts: 11 Member
I’m a super newbie, have no base, etc. Today I swam about 30-40 mim at a very slow pace. I feel my form is suffering; my mother told me my legs were kicking very choppily. Does anyone have any tips?

Also if anyone could point me to something that explains the notation of swimming workouts, I’d appreciate it !

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Oh boy. I'm not sure I'm the one to go to for tips. "Super newbie" and you lasted 30-40 minutes? My first day was swimming the length and then wondering how I was going to return without alerting the lifeguards to my horrible swimming technique + total breathlessness. I do kick sets with a board and short fins to work on straight legs and high hips. It's helped over time, but again, I'm a late learner and still consider myself a rather new swimmer. Stick around though. There's loads of experience and support here!
    And welcome!! :wink:
  • miriaml5
    miriaml5 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Well, I can’t do flip turns so I rested a bit at the ends but I tried to limit resting to switching to breaststroke or going slow. Maybe I will do sets with a board; that’s a good idea. How did you build your endurance/speed/form?

Also how do you read workouts? Also what if you are slower than the workout seems to assume?
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Mmm hopefully you will get some answers on swim workout notation over the weekend - it passes me all by!

Sounds like you are already doing the right stuff for endurance - gradually build up length of swims / reduce the rests, and drop the speed or go for a less intensive stroke. But it is a good idea tp add sprinting to the mix - to get your heart pumping, rather than all 'plodding up and down'.

Welcome!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Short fins like the TYR BURNER are good for kicking drills and getting control of your kick.
    TheY also help get your form more planar.
    I only made 6 laps back in 2001 when I tried doing laps for the first time in a coupe decades.
    I swim Just a bit more than that now. :D
  • jessetfan
    jessetfan Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I learned to do flip turns by standing by the wall for about two hours and practicing over and over again. I have fins, swim paddles and a kick board, and I'll usually do 200 m sets with each apparatus to try to improve my form. I started out as not a very good front crawl swimmer, but I've built up to swimming 45 minutes by pushing myself 5 more minutes each week.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    jessetfan wrote: »
    I learned to do flip turns by standing by the wall for about two hours and practicing over and over again. I have fins, swim paddles and a kick board, and I'll usually do 200 m sets with each apparatus to try to improve my form. I started out as not a very good front crawl swimmer, but I've built up to swimming 45 minutes by pushing myself 5 more minutes each week.

On your flip turns, a good source to find out tips and drills to learn them is by going on YouTube. So many great swimming videos on there. Many with showing elite swimmers and coaches.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,313 Member
    Options
    1houndgal wrote: »

On your flip turns, a good source to find out tips and drills to learn them is by going on YouTube.

Good idea, thanks. I just watched a couple and now I am going to do some flip turn progression drills.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,313 Member
    Options
    Wow, I watch the youtube on flip turn drills, I went to the pool, I got all ready to do the drill, and it made me seasick, I got nauseous doing the very first one. I did five or six more drills hoping I would "get used to it" but I still felt motion sick on each flip turn drill. I then swam, got out, and felt motion sickness the rest of the evening.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    That’s my fear, and why I haven’t tried them yet, in spite of reeeeaaaally wanting to do them. I just hate being upside down in water 🙄
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Try to find an advanced adult swim class or a masters swim group where you work on technique. I’ve been going to masters for 3 months and the Coach is completely reworking all my strokes.

If you swim slower than workout assumes, just adjust accordingly. Keep the distance and the same rest times. It’s just that your swim times will be different. That’s perfectly ok.