Roller coaster ride!

Options
purebredpolly
purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
I have to say, it's been a terrible roller coaster ride trying to figure out what I can eat, and not get sick. I'm following a low FODMAP diet, and even staying very close to the elimination phase can still produce the worst symptoms. I find that bland foods, and carbs sit best with my digestive tract, but staying within calorie budget while eating so many carbs is rough.

Any ideas for low calorie, but filling, low FODMAP meals?

Replies

• krythie
    krythie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I understand from my experience with GI issues, that cooking veggies to death limits their ability to cause GI difficulties. Use spices to make them taste a little different every day. Have fun with your taste buds. Avoid intense spices, butter and oils. I use a steamer and water. Veges do fill you up! And you can have them anytime...even for a snack. Canned unsweetened fruits are a substitute for fresh. They make yummy desserts. Fresh and frozen fruits are hard to digest and cause stomach issues. I always get a stomach ache after eating a fresh apple. Hope this helps.
  • purebredpolly
    Options
    Thanks!!!!
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    What I did (per a doctor that was so good to me) was go back to being a baby. He said moms are told to feed their babies one food for a bit to see if they have a reaction. I did that too. I started with foods that I knew would be okay, like broth and mashed potatoes and then would start something knew and journal how I felt. What I found out was, I could eat the same foods that made be sick and bloated IF they're prepared a different way. I was shook! With raw broccoli I get so distended, but steamed to death broccoli? Yes! You will find out slowly what you can tolerate but it takes a little time and patience.
  • purebredpolly
    Options
    Thanks! Good advice. Go back to being a baby.

Funny, but I found the only thing I could stomach 6 weeks ago was bananas, and cream of rice. Oh, and full sugar coke, hot tea with real sugar. It was a real nightmare.