Anxiety and blood sugar/insulin spikes

Options
flitabout38
flitabout38 Posts: 48 Member
I have been keto for around 4 months and I have anxiety issues. Yesterday I had a bad attack. The first one I have had since starting keto. I was hungry and at the store getting dinner when it happened. I felt it coming after I talked to my husband, and he asked me to do something I really didn't want to do. I know it's stupid and it made no sense but I couldn't control it.
By the time I got home and started getting the kitchen around to cook I could feel my blood sugar dropping out. I got the shakes I was tired I tested my blood ketones and I was down to 0.6. I normally test well above 1.5 at that time of day. I have been pretty careful with my eating I rarely go over 20 NC. I do understand the cortisol response and gluconeogenesis. Anybody else ever have issues with this where it actually kicked them out of ketosis?

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,955 Member
    Options
    Bumping to page numero uno. :smile:
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Just a question... I see you measure ketones, but do you measure BG? Could the anxiety be causing a 'panic attack'/giving you the shakes? Are you keto for neurological issues, because otherwise it doesn't really matter what your level of blood ketones are - you were still in ketosis. 0.6 is not 'kicked out.'
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Adrenals release cortisol, cortisol boots blood glucose and drops insulin levels plus makes all your cells less sensitive to insulin - this is specifically for the purpose of boosting glucose levels circulating in your bloodstream at that moment...your body needs less ketones when there is adequate glucose...I don't think it should be a surprise that your ketone levels dropped, the whole panic thing is designed for short-term survival, fight or flight to stay alive.

However, long-term it shouldn't impact your ketosis, it's just a momentary blip.

Licorice root will help support the adrenals, and can help some people with the anxiety - it can cause a spike in blood pressure for some individuals, so should be avoided by anyone who already has high blood pressure. Nervous Fatigue is a traditional chineese medicine herb blend that is also adrenal supportive and will not impact blood pressure.
  • flitabout38
    flitabout38 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yes I measure both I was just out of strips that day, I know I wasn't kicked out I was just wondering if it was possible.