Trust the process

Options
phytogurl
phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
Hi all, I'm new to Keto and have found that this way of eating could very well be sustainable for me so far. I'm not a big sugar eater and actually prefer savory foods rather than sweet. I also think it's wonderful that I can feel satiated with meals that i do eat and it actually holds me over to the next meal while eating less food.

However, I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around eating high fat and low carb...equates to more fat/weight loss and healthier body. Everything I've read and been told all my life has always been otherwise.

I am trying to re-educate myself by watching and reading more literature on Keto/lowcarb, but I was wondering if anyone initially felt the same way I do? If so, what did you do to believe and trust the process?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm 64 years old so that means in 1970 (suggesting that as a general date for the onset of the low fat craze) I was a 16 year old girl, not over weight but certainly interested in appearance of which weight, is a part. My point with that is I have spent most of my life hearing fat is bad. I was never chronically overweight until my 50s. I did lose my excess 60 pounds around age 59 and (for the record) I didn't do it via keto. I learned about keto after weight loss while exploring diets for a health reason unrelated to weight.

Reading this book https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16130316-the-big-fat-surprise was the stimulus for me to start some personal research to determine if I (and the general population) have been "misled" regarding fat and why.

I eventually ate (for 52 weeks) a medically therapeutic ketogenic diet for reason other than weight and still continue to eat a high fat diet, just not 75+% of my intake. More like 50-60% on most days. I'm no longer eating keto. I do eat LCHF with no emphasis on ketosis.

Reading The Big Fat Surprisewas my catalyst to overcoming a fear of fat. Fat intake is essential to several functions of the human body. To my knowledge, experts don't dispute that fat is essential, only how much or what type of fat. I choose to make fat a high percentage of my diet. I've not been to the doc in 4 years or so and have no idea if it has been negative in my case. I know eating fat has not made me physically fat and I'm not hungry like I was a couple years ago after weight loss when I ate lower fat.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree, Big Fat Surprise was a great book to read for that. Good Calories Bad Calories was another that helped me accept that fat is not bad.

Peter Attia's blog was a good source of info for me too. Knowing cholesterol and fat in foods is not the boogey man was reassuring.

All that being said, I don't know is LCHF = more fat lost. I definitely think it often means a healthier body, but not everyone tends to lose easier on this diet. It seems that those with IR tend to benefit the most, and that weight loss edge only amounts to a few pounds over a year. The main fat loss benefit seems to usually be the reduced appetite and cravings... not always a small thing! ;)
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    For me it was Dr. Jason Fun and his book "The Obesity Code" that opened my eyes. I still have a difficult time buying full fat things like sour cream when I've been buying "light" for sooooo long, but I have lost 22 pounds, so it works!
  • phytogurl
    Options
    I have always struggled with my weight and was able to mitigate that struggle with intense cycling, running, and sports for a while, but my weight eventually crept up over the years. I tried low fat, high fiber, counting calories, vegan, vegetarian for years and that never seemed to work. I was always hungry and my fat increased with yo yo eating, along with my cholesterol going up. As I get older and (heavier), it is no longer easy for me to workout at the intensity that I had, and I realize that I can no longer continue with what worked in the past, and not all that well...I might add.

I am at a point in my life where I need to try something different, because i don't want to give up. I don't want to miss out due to older habits and engrained ways of thinking, and i am hoping this could be the right fit for me, if I can convince myself. I will be getting my blood work completed this week and am looking forward to seeing my numbers here in the beginning, and after the next six months of eating Keto, if i can stick to it.

Over the weekend, I was able to watch a couple of documentaries: Fathead (super entertaining and funny) and some other speeches from Tom Naughton, and a couple of lectures from Gary Taubes. I like what they had to say and found it interesting that there were players in the past that were the driving forces of changing the way Americans eat, despite what worked well for centuries before the low fat change.

Thank you for taking the time to respond and share your information and thoughts on why Keto/lchf works for you. I do appreciate the recommendations and links provided as that will help to narrow my search for answers. I also appreciate the reassurance from folks that have been there and have found that this way of eating is manageable and with clear benefits. :smile:
  • KaitlynPeri
    KaitlynPeri Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    One of my greatest resources when starting my Keto journey was listening to the 2ketodudes podcast and being active on their forum, they even have guests like Dr Jason Fung and the author of BigFat Surprise. They both used Keto to combat Type 2 Diabetes and Carl reversed his diagnosis in 6 months or so (sorry I can’t remember the details) Good Luck!
  • ClayBengal
    ClayBengal Posts: 124 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    l59yo9ngkk86.jpeg
    Trust the Process
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I could not wrap my head around the high fat numbers, especially for long term, adding in spending my whole life hearing fat is bad. Also, the high fat versions of keto (fat bombs, BPC and butter) were not working for me.
    I found the Facebook Page of "Ketogenic Dieters" and loved the information there, both nutritionally and scientifically. You may get something out of reading their 'pinned post'. Just my two cents! ;)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @KristinLeeD

I just ran across a new favorite reference from Phinney and Volek!

They explained that a well-formulated ketogenic diet IS high fat, but all the fat is not coming from the food you are eating. Part of the fat in “high fat” is coming from the fat that is already stored in your body.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @KristinLeeD

They explained that a well-formulated ketogenic diet IS high fat, but all the fat is not coming from the food you are eating. Part of the fat in “high fat” is coming from the fat that is already stored in your body.

Exactly!
  • phytogurl
    Options
    ClayBengal wrote: »
    l59yo9ngkk86.jpeg
    Trust the Process

Funny! I had to look this up :)
  • phytogurl
    Options
    @KaitlynPerl- I listened to yesterday's 2 keto Dudes on my walk yesterday,with their interview with Jessica Turton RD. I enjoyed the RD perspective and would like to checkout their website when I have more time. I can see myself as a regular with their podcasts.
    @KristinLeeD, agreed. It's hard to change one's way of thinking when food guidelines have always been low fat. Thanks for the FB reference.
  • phytogurl
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @KristinLeeD

Exactly!

I have heard some about this, and I think it's interesting and worth taking a look at Phinney and Volek, to see if they have specific nutritional guideline ratio's. Thank you for sharing...so much too learn!