Keto is exasperating

Options
grugrx2
grugrx2 Posts: 3 Member
It’s been 10 days since I started this crazy diet I find myself exasperated with trying to make the macros numbers. Hovering between 20-25 net carbs and inevitably go over on protein by 10 and under fats by 10. Ive read that the fat/protein allocation is okay.

But these carbs numbers! What the heck? I don’t eat fruit, juice, or starchy vegs and grains of any kind. No sweets. Reading labels and weighing foods. Literally only consuming meat and green veggies and whole dairy products (heavy cream and cheese). I’m subtracting fiber grams from the carb count. Why am I over 20g?

I read the keto blogs, avoid the bad foods list...I just can’t get under 20g. It just seems like it is impossible to do.

Its early in the game, right? But I want to quit before I feel like an epic failure, but I can’t quit because then I’d be a loser without weight loss lol.

Replies

• 0426Jamie
    0426Jamie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything said above! But I also found that after being on Keto for about a month, that I was starting to eat less. Like, my serving sizes went down and that helped to dramatically reduce my carbs. Simple things like eating half a can of tuna instead of a whole can. I used to pack my lunch full of 5-7 different things and now all I eat is lunch meat and a cheese stick, and I am satisfied.

Keep at it and it will become easier! Good luck :)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Don't quit, adapt instead.

If 20g is too low for you to sustain long-term, then increase it to 50g and see how you do.

I find that I don't have any problem staying keto even with 100g days...but I am very active, so that might not be the case for everyone.

In the end long-term sustainability is going to be more important than hitting a particular number, so if hitting a number is making you want to quit, then it's time to adapt the plan to something more sustainable for you as an individual.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    grugrx2 wrote: »
    It’s been 10 days since I started this crazy diet I find myself exasperated with trying to make the macros numbers. Hovering between 20-25 net carbs and inevitably go over on protein by 10 and under fats by 10. Ive read that the fat/protein allocation is okay.

But these carbs numbers! What the heck? I don’t eat fruit, juice, or starchy vegs and grains of any kind. No sweets. Reading labels and weighing foods. Literally only consuming meat and green veggies and whole dairy products (heavy cream and cheese). I’m subtracting fiber grams from the carb count. Why am I over 20g?

I read the keto blogs, avoid the bad foods list...I just can’t get under 20g. It just seems like it is impossible to do.

Its early in the game, right? But I want to quit before I feel like an epic failure, but I can’t quit because then I’d be a loser without weight loss lol.

Aside from the other posts in this thread, find ways to reduce your stress a lot. Weight loss has just as much to do with your state of mind as it does finding ways to navigate a new way of eating (WOE). Don't think of this as something you "quit" and start thinking of it as something you adopt into your life and then adapt it to suit your needs. Stressing out is a weight loss killer, in my opinion. Take a breath, be mindful and present in the moment it will all work out.
  • Pambo1234
    Pambo1234 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had a similar post not that long ago. I listened to the group here and stopped trying to hit my macros perfectly. Some days I'm up, some days down. Most days at calorie deficit, so I'm losing. Agree with post above about HF...I pay attention to make sure I don't go too far under...just to control hunger before it hits. Hang in there...I'm not even a month in and it's gotten easier since I stopped obsessing about the exact macros. I suspect a stall or gain in my future, but confident it will keep trending down in the law of averages