How soon did you see results?

Options
jverne2
jverne2 Posts: 3 Member
So I've been at this for almost a month and I am not seeing results. Looking at all the "Keto transformations" on social media has me thinking I'm doing something wrong. How long does it take to see some real results?

Replies

• Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    It can be different for everyone. My first month wasn't really noticeable physically but my scale weight decreased. When I started working out and really sticking to the LCHF program I started to notice fat decreasing and waist inches decreasing to the point where I needed to buy new pants. The initial weight loss is typically just water weight, the 1-2 pounds every week or two had more of an effect on my physical appearance and blood work over time. My saying is to treat this weight loss journey and way of eating as a marathon not a sprint. It will be ups and downs along the way but it does work given time. Some people just drop weight like there is no tomorrow others it just seems to take longer and you have to try different things during plateaus to kick start the fat burning process.

Also "results" are defined differently for each person. Some its better health, others weight loss, and others clarity of mind and breaking the sugar/carb addiction and for people like me its all of the above. :smile:
  • PQ4321
    PQ4321 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It took more than a month for me, but I had a heck of a time getting my carbs low enough. Still have a learning curve on that. Totally bummed that lettuce has carbs.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    On the scale, in clothing sizes, or in the mirror? How significant are the results you're looking for? If you give us your stats and make your diary public we might be able to troubleshoot a little.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    It depends. I started with a lot of weight to lose. 10 lbs on a heavy person's frame shows different than 10 lbs on a small person's frame. I had to lose 40 lbs before it started to show!! But now, at my current weight, every 5-6 lbs makes a difference on my body shape & size... where at my highest weight, not so much.
  • flitabout38
    flitabout38 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Some times it takes a long time to heal your body before it's ready to give up the fat. Try to focus the fact that you are feeling better. If isn't getting better in another few weeks you may need to readjust your macros.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I was at least 60 pounds overweight. So far as I knew (know), I didn't have any reason for being overweight other than eating too much. I plugged my stats into MFP and followed their calorie suggestion by measuring a lot of what I ate. I altered MFP macros A BIT to 40c/30/30 and loosely followed it. I quit eating the things I tended to over eat. Sweets and snacks. I lost 6 pounds the 1st week (to answer the question posed) and continued to average 1.25 pounds per week for another 52 weeks.

A couple years later (in maintenance) I trialed keto for 52 weeks for a reason other than weight management. I lost 0 pounds throughout the duration (as expected because I was eating maintenance calories, by design). I did have my normal daily scale fluctuations. I also bought a food scale and weighed everything because ratios of macros were important to my purpose.

The only reason I elaborate is because I am one of "those people" who questions are you weighing and measuring your food. My switch from eating low carb to high fat keto was pretty eye opening regarding tiny, fatty portion sizes. :/
  • SteveP999Tx
    SteveP999Tx Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I started "a diet" on January 1. Really that just meant giving up sodas.....but I wasn't strict on myself. I had a lot to lose though. Just dong that, over 3 1/2 months, I lost 7 pounds.

Then I saw some friends that had been on Keto and they sold me on it. Almost immediately, I jumped in head first. Took a few days to get the hang of it. But the weight is coming off quickly. A couple days where it goes up. I have figured out that I'm a volume eater, especially at dinner. So I have to be careful with my breakfast and lunch, and then make smart nutritional choices for dinner.

I don't mind cauliflower or broccoli.....but I eat a lot of it. And it has carbs. I've lost so much weight so quickly that I get discouraged when I gain a bit or I don't lose. Usually the next day, I'm extra vigilant.

16.4 pounds in 22 days. It's a lot, but I had a lot of "easy weight" to drop. I have a close friend that's been doing it a bit longer and is stricter with how she measures and she's only lost a couple. Everybodys bodies are different. I totally expect to hit a wall at some point. Just waiting now.

The biggest benefit for me is the increased energy. Before, I could fall asleep at a red light if I wasn't careful. Always wanting to take a nap. It went away on day one for me. I don't drag out of bed and I power through the workday without having the drowseys. For that alone, its kept me motivated.

Give it time. Maybe your wall is right up front. In the meantime, turn the screws to find out what works and look at some of the other benefits you may have.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    When I first started keto, I started losing pretty quickly. I wanted to lose 20 lbs and lost about 10 in the first month. On my frame, that's when people started to notice.
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I can lose weight pretty rapidly so long as I don’t allow any stinkin’ thinkin’. Stinkin’ thinkin’ is like saying to myself, “LCHF is good for me so having several servings will be even better.” No! It’s still a matter of calories in v. calories out. I still have to eat at a deficit to lose weight. The only thing LCHF does for my weight is to keep the hunger pangs away to make eating at a deficit easier.

Another stinkin’ thinkin’ thought is, “Well, I had that large glass of wine with some cheese and crackers yesterday and didn’t gain anything so it’s okay to have some more today.” No! Perhaps my splurge with the wine, cheese and crackers just happened to coincide with one of those normal weight fluctuations only this time the fluctuation was downward, canceling out what I splurged on. Just as we aren’t to worry if our weight jumps up for no apparent reason, we’re not to think that NOT gaining after a known splurge is license to splurge even more.

Just one more example. “I’ve been so good lately so I’ve EARNED this treat.” No! Payment for my efforts is being paid to me in better health and a body I won’t be ashamed of. That’s what I’m working for and that’s what I’m getting. When I worked for a living I received a paycheck and that’s what I got. I didn’t get my paycheck and then expect my employer to give me a car, too, so why would I work for health and a slimmer body then expect some decadent treat, too?

My precise answer is my first week going keto typically gives me a 10 pound loss. That’s with carbs less than 20 and calories between 1100 and 1200. Probably half those 10 pounds is due to water weight so it slows down from there. After the first week I lose two to five pounds per week.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    jverne2 wrote: »
    So I've been at this for almost a month and I am not seeing results. Looking at all the "Keto transformations" on social media has me thinking I'm doing something wrong. How long does it take to see some real results?

While I had lost an inch in the waist and some in my face based on remarks made to me I did not lose a pound until day 45.
  • dangerousdashie
    dangerousdashie Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have been doing keto for years with no noticable changes. I was even gaining weight. Which is why I just started tracking.
  • kpk54
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I was at least 60 pounds overweight. So far as I knew (know), I didn't have any reason for being overweight other than eating too much. I plugged my stats into MFP and followed their calorie suggestion by measuring a lot of what I ate. I altered MFP macros A BIT to 40c/30/30 and loosely followed it. I quit eating the things I tended to over eat. Sweets and snacks. I lost 6 pounds the 1st week (to answer the question posed) and continued to average 1.25 pounds per week for another 52 weeks.

A couple years later (in maintenance) I trialed keto for 52 weeks for a reason other than weight management. I lost 0 pounds throughout the duration (as expected because I was eating maintenance calories, by design). I did have my normal daily scale fluctuations. I also bought a food scale and weighed everything because ratios of macros were important to my purpose.

The only reason I elaborate is because I am one of "those people" who questions are you weighing and measuring your food. My switch from eating low carb to high fat keto was pretty eye opening regarding tiny, fatty portion sizes. :/

And I'm one of those people who started with "lazy keto" (counting carbs only and not with much accuracy.) I ended up here, using a scale and counting EVERYTHING because I stalled and would not lose more. So my personal experience is that some people have voracious appetites (me), and some can't eyeball portions worth crap (also me)! :lol: I know there's more than one person like that on this spinning rock.
    So if you aren't losing, then you are underestimating your calories and carbs and need to get a scale and be more meticulous to find success. It is very easy to have too much with delicious fatty goodness. :smile:

Is that a QTF post or did you really mean me? I've been maintaining in goal range for 4 years so think I might be adept enough at eating the proper amount of calories for my weight. :)
  • kpk54
    Options
    LOL to my post above. I meant "QFT" not "QTF". The last thing I need is more acronyms. :# I've finally looked up "KWIM" enough times I've remembered it.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    oh goodness these acronyms........WTF.......... :D
  • kpk54
    Options

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! :p
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Well, that's fabulous!

Right? :D
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

And I'm one of those people who started with "lazy keto" (counting carbs only and not with much accuracy.) I ended up here, using a scale and counting EVERYTHING because I stalled and would not lose more. So my personal experience is that some people have voracious appetites (me), and some can't eyeball portions worth crap (also me)! :lol: I know there's more than one person like that on this spinning rock.
    So if you aren't losing, then you are underestimating your calories and carbs and need to get a scale and be more meticulous to find success. It is very easy to have too much with delicious fatty goodness. :smile:

Is that a QTF post or did you really mean me? I've been maintaining in goal range for 4 years so think I might be adept enough at eating the proper amount of calories for my weight. :)

Totally a QFT. :wink:
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Well, that's fabulous!

Right? :D

Yup totally a QFT I looked that one up!!