Help! I am a bottomless pit!

Options
rnjenny8599
rnjenny8599 Posts: 34 Member
Ive been doing keto since January-20 carbs a day. Was diagnosed with RA and A1c of 6.5. I was started on low dose prednisone in Feb transitioning to MTX. I was losing well and doing great but prednisone has turned me into an eating machine! I tried cutting my dose in half and my appetite decreased but my symptoms returned. I literally never feel full and eat like a pig. I stay away from the carbs but managing my calories is hell. I can eat a full meal and feel like Ive had nothing. And of course Im not losing. I am at my wits end.

Replies

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I have been far better able to manage my hunger, cravings, and ability to stick to calorie goals if I don’t touch cheese. One chunk and I am crazed for more and wanting things outside my macro parameters as well. Once a week I will allow myself a meal including cheese but I have to be very aware of my true hunger signals and food choices for the rest of the day. Maybe evaluate if it is more of one specific thing you want, one specific thing that when eaten makes you want to eat more of anything, or other related factors. I have no experience with steroid type meds but I have been told over and over that that is a struggle that is a huge battle when it comes to food! I feel for you and I hope you can find a solution.
  • flitabout38
    flitabout38 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You might want to talk to your doctor about adjusting or changing you medication. Prednisone is hell on your body as far as weight loss goes. Just for curiosity are you checking your blood ketones or glucose levels? I ask because steroids can cause gluconeogenesis and actually kick you out of ketosis regardless of presence of carbohydrates in your diet. They can shut down fat burning while your liver pumps out glucose and actually cause type 2 diabetes.
    I am sure you know the drill by now blood glucose goes up, insulin response (insulin is the fat storage hormone) and anything you eat is stored as fat, your blood sugar drops and you are left very hungry!!!!
    I found this article about glucocorticoids and hyperglycemia. It might help explain some of what you are experiencing. It's a long read but very informative. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4515447/
  • rnjenny8599
    Options
    My fasting glucose has been creeping up, from 90, to some days 120. When I havent eaten in 12 plus hours! Weirdly enough what I seem to want is fat-really fatty pork cracklins, greasy sausage and bacon, I can eat coconut oil straight out of the jar! I am a nurse also. This is driving me nuts. Maybe I need to fiber supplement to help?
  • rnjenny8599
    Options
    The "symptoms" I referred to are pericarditis. That slapped me in the hospital and they found that the RA was what caused it. Within 3 days of cutting my steroid the symptoms of chest/back pain tachycardia etc were back. Its only 10 mg a day, but I am also steroid naive, never had them in my life. I would love to chuck them in the wastebasket but I dont guess thats an option at the moment. I was worried about eating too much protein causing gluconeogenesis, Im within my macros and have figured them on 100 different calculators LOL, but maybe I need to go below the macros.
  • flitabout38
    flitabout38 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Don't go to low. Protein is very satiating, and you don't want to lose muscle mass either.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Definitely don’t reduce protein. Not getting enough could be why you’re never satisfied in the first place.
    https://blog.designsforhealth.com/the-protein-leverage-hypothesis

I would also stop eating any straight fats. One spoonful is adding 100+ calories and isn’t providing as much nutrients as the same calories of meat would.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
  • rnjenny8599
    Options
    Ok Makes sense. I reconfigured to do more protein and I will see what happens-but the last couple days since I cut I have weight coming off. Yes there is the whole lean muscle mass thing, but I think the steroids are messing with normal processes.
  • need2move2
    need2move2 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have crohn's disease and have recently went thru a flare up.. was on prednisone :neutral: Off the medication now.. cravings are slowly going away! ... I gained 6 pounds in 2 weeks... I was a bottomless pit as well! Something had to change so I increased my water.. it helped some.. weight slowly coming down. I hope the idea of more protein works for you. Good luck!