How much did you lose before people noticed?

Options
flitabout38
flitabout38 Posts: 48 Member
edited April 2018 in Social Groups
How much did you have to lose before people started to notice. I am at 30lbs and I haven't heard anybody but my husband say anything. Personally I think he says things to encourage me. But nobody else has said anything. I have lost a total of 15% of my original body weight and nothing I am getting sort of frustrated.

Replies

• FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    At about 14 pounds I started getting a lot of attention for it, but I teach fitness classes, so there are a lot of people watching my body every week. Aside from my husband and class participants, I actually can't remember anyone addressing it, except once when I mentioned it first.

I think people aren't always sure if it's something they should bring up, because weight can be such a touchy subject, and what if you're losing because you're sick or something, and also we're all basically self-involved. :)

But I bet they DO see it, whether they've said so or not, and that you look great, and 30 pounds is freaking amazing and you should be proud of yourself! Your work and its results are out there for the world to see, whether people are telling you so yet or not. :)
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    40-50 pounds before other people around me really started to notice.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I got my first comment at 40 lbs lost. A few more trickled in at 60 lbs lost. It wasn't until 80-90 lbs lost that more people felt safe to say something! I think people feel awkward or uncomfortable remarking on people's weight, unless it's an undeniably obvious change.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    For me, direct comments about weight loss were preceded by numerous comments/questions like: did you get new glasses? I like your your new haircut (it was the same). That outfit really looks nice on you. You look so chipper today. When I was about halfway to my -60 pound goal people were willing to mention weightloss. It's a personal question.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    At 10kg lost people started to ask what I was doing. I think it is just different for everyone as we all hold weight differently.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I started keto yes to lose a few vanity pounds, but more because I wanted a sustainable way of eating given my lifestyle, which involves a lot of travel and had me on a constant lose/gain loop. So i only had 10 to lose, and I got comments at 6 lbs, but that’s half a clothing size. I lost mostly from my chest and waist which fortunately are not areas people would scrutinize on me! The additional pounds seem more obvious on my face, so I am starting to get more comments. Husband has only noticed that I am eating differently!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure that the first mention by someone other than my wife was at about the 80 lb mark. This was a point where I had lost 6 to 8 inches on my waist and about an inch and a half on my neck. People are slow to notice.

When I first started, I was going for a doctor's appt and mentioned to my secretary I was down 12 pounds and was hoping the doctor's scales would reflect the same loss as mine. She said, "no you haven't."
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Okay in peoples defense I wear a lot of clothes! Minnesota is still cold and snowy even in April! That might be part of the problem.

There's some real truth in that. I lost most of my weight between October and May. Though we have some reasonably warm winter weather in North Carolina, at least a warm baggy sweater is in order most days (December through March) vs shorts and a tee.
  • flitabout38
    flitabout38 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was just sitting here thinking about the fact that I live in a 2x sweatshirt!
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Okay in peoples defense I wear a lot of clothes! Minnesota is still cold and snowy even in April! That might be part of the problem.

And I live in South Florida, wear sleeveless shirts and shorts a few days a week, so people can actually tell when I have lost only a handful of pounds!!!
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    for me the good thing isn't that people don't even comment when I've lost weight but that at least they didn't comment when I've gained!! Maybe it's the rough with the smooth? :)
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My coworker said something at about 10 pounds, I think. But *I* didn't start to see it until closer to 20. My goal is to lose 36 total - so 10 pounds was a somewhat significant amount, I guess.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I've lost 22 pounds and almost no one has said anything... but then again, I'm 5'11" and it shows up a lot more slowly. Also, 22 pounds is one clothing size change for me, whereas for someone shorter, it would be more of a change.
    One thing that makes me feel better about people not noticing is that I don't always notice someone else's weight loss until they point it out to me, because I am just not focused on analyzing people's body sizes. I didn't notice that a shorter friend had lost like 50 pounds years ago, and I didn't comment on another friend's weight loss until she mentioned it! "Oh yeah, I thought something was different!" kind of thing. I did notice a coworker's 80+ pound loss...

TL; DR: almost no one has noticed my 22 pounds on my tall frame. I frequently don't notice either, so don't feel bad! :-)
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 34 pounds and am only 5’2”. People started to notice and comment at the 14 pound mark or so. This total equates to 3 pants sizes for me. I have found that I get more comments if I’m out and not eating or drinking like most of my friends. Then I feel that some turn a bit snarky. I just smile and acknowledge that my hard work has paid off so why revert back to old ways? I don’t care what you eat so why worry about me?
  • aupston
    aupston Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I’m 5 foot tall.....and weighted 260. It took between 30-40 lbs before people noticed....
    One thing that I noticed was that my clothes seemed to hide weight loss.....
    People really notice now that I have lost 75 lbs

Good luck
  • dmcnur
    dmcnur Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I didn't get much reaction until I started wearing new work uniforms. I dropped from size 18 to size 10 but the bigger clothes hid it. All of a sudden I have people who don't recognize me welcoming me and are shocked when they realize who I am.
  • LoveJoyFood
    LoveJoyFood Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am with you! I have lost 30 pounds and only two people have said anything beside my husband. But I am not discouraged because I have 60 pounds to go and it's gonna take a while.
  • amybethjack
    amybethjack Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I started getting comments at about ten pounds, which really surprised me since I started so high (who can really see a difference between 284 and 274?) but those comments were coming from people who knew I was trying. At about twenty-three pounds I got a call from my ex-sister-in-law who saw a picture of me on facebook. Her purpose for calling was to comment on my weight loss. The early people said they saw it in my face. I don't think I really lost weight in my face but by eating keto I think I lost inflamation/puffiness in my face and that is what they noticed. I also have noticed that I am losing most of my weight in my waist (unlike any other diet I've ever been on) which would account for the ex-sil noticing it on facebook. I also had a customer in my office who, when I mentioned that I was following a keto diet, exclaimed that she thought I looked like I lost weight but wasn't sure if she should say anything.