Weekly Post - 09.04.18 - 15.04.18

Options
jknight001
jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
edited April 2018 in Social Groups
Hi Everybody!

Happy Monday. Spring Break is over for me as well as my break from 5:2, logging and, unfortunately due to my bronchitis, exercise. :cry: Fast day for me. Just going to focus on making it through today. My next goal is my Annual Physical appointment with my doctor on May 16th. Looking for a much better report than last year. Thanks to 5:2, I have already moved back into a normal BMI (yay!). Hoping for lower triglycerides and lower blood sugar level this year. Elevated tryglycerides and blood sugar makes me feel old. Would really like not to be listed as pre-diabetic (OK, why does my spellcheck offer pee-diabetic as an option??? :lol: ). Lets go!

Hope you all had a great weekend. Looking forward to catching up with you all this week.

Replies

• sjgold123
    sjgold123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Morning! I haven't been on for a while we are still in holiday mode with kids being off school. We've had our week away in the caravan and it was fab just what we all needed. Good news we went for walks, bike rides etc bad news i ate everything i shouldn't crisps, dip, cheesy chips, carrot cake, millonaire caramel cake, kfc, wine, chocolate, baileys...even chocolate eggs filled with baileys and cream oh my it was good. I logged almost everything even though i went over everyday...yikes no self control. I was quiet good before planning my calorie controlled meals like soup and cauliflower bakes etc and i took the baileys and choc for me and a friend to share (should have had christmas to be fair) but my husband went on to rebell and got the crisps etc. Hey it's a holiday and i put on 3llbs but i've lost 2 and not been home a week yet so hey ho that's the difference now as i never used to be mindful of the treats, logging them neither did i pull myself back on track so celebrate i say...just not with food so we went for a bike ride and kids had ice cream and we didn't x
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon...I'm new to this group but I've been doing 5:2 for a while as it fits perfectly into my social life.
    I especially enjoy fasting monday since my weekends often brings arrangements loaded with food, cake and alcohol. So far today I've had a cup of vegetable broth (4 kcal) and I dont really feel hungry (here it's 14.30) - I am looking forward to salad and sandwiches for dinner though
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    Sorry for not checking in for a few days. Jeez, where the heck did the weekend go?!

Thank you, thank you, thank you all for the comments regarding me venting about the scale not budging. Yes, I really am grateful that I have lost what I have in the past year doing 5:2. And I do feel really good.

@KateNkognito yes, I have thought about sticking with my current weight since I am pretty happy. I appreciate your comment about finding a weight you are feeling good at and sticking with it and being happy. I agree with that. But, part of me thinks I should really try and get to a healthy BMI due to my health issues I have had in the past. I am a cancer survivor and anything I can do to prevent it from coming back is my way of life these days.
    With that being said I don't think I will push to get to 135, I will stick with 145 which is healthy for my 5'4" height. So around 20 lbs to go and when I get there I get there. In the meantime, at least I am maintaining and feeling good and getting nice compliments.

Thank you @orlcam and @mamainthekitchen for your comments too! Yes, I am going to measure soon (should have done that months ago) and I am trying not to obsess about the scale. I have never been a fan of the scale because I have spent years being overweight and I will admit that the scale affects my mood when it doesn't go my way and that is not cool. Life is short.

I think part of my struggle is my personality. I like completion. Crossing off that last "t" or dotting the last "i" and moving on to another life goal. Like I am so close, why can't I just finish this one out? Frustrating to me.

But, I am definitely going to stick it out. I never want to go back to weighing (over) 200 lbs again and the number I weigh does not define me as a person. Just a silly number. Muscle definitely weighs more than fat and if I look back at the months and my slower losses it sort of goes hand in hand with the addition of strength training.

I have decided to pause the strength training for a bit and focus on different types of cardio, to shake things up a bit. Yesterday I rode the exercise bike (kicked my butt) and then walked on the treadmill. No more just the treadmill for cardio. Going to hit the eliptical and the stair stepper machine and do different mixes each day. Need to keep the body guessing and keep shaking things up. Eventually the scale will come around if I keep doin' what I am doin'!

Sorry for my long post!

Welcome to the group @rikkejohnsenrij! Happy birthday @jknight001 hope it was awesome!

Check in with you guys soon. Monday is here, we got this! :smiley:
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday all. Hoping your light days are easy ones this week!

Between needing to eat with the antibiotic I’m on when I take it and the food poisoning bout last week, 5:2 didn’t happen. Actually that is the first week since October I didn’t do a light day at all. I’m thinking I’ll do one light day this week probably Thursday.

@Meghan509 a bunch of us are right about at the 5’4 height here I think. I’m just a bit shorter- 5’3 & 3/4.

My weight this year (in maintenance in 2018) hovers in the normal/overweight boundary but I really don’t think I look it. Well, my thighs do, but the rest of me looks very normal weight. I’m a pear or hourglass shape tho, so my weight is all on the hips and thighs. Also, short waisted I believe, so I don’t look very good in store standardized pants. I swear, I look better in a swimsuit than regular clothes!

Ok, I’m thinking of y’all but I have a tooth extraction coming up tomorrow and my kitty has a tooth extraction on Thursday. Allergies are kicking my butt and I did not strength train last week due to sickiness so have to get back in that horse. I need around 85000 steps this week too. So I’m not sure how much I’ll be here this week. But warm and supportive thoughts flow from me to you!

• sjgold123
    Options
    Welcome rikkiejohnsenji yes 5:2 does help with wkd splurges if you can keep cravings down in the week with the weekend as a goal.
    Warm thoughts Meghan i hear you perhaps give yourself shorter/smaller goals or look at your 5 calorie days. I'm 5:4 and i have 1400 5 days and 500 2 however this is because i want to get to my goal quicker as that is motivation for me but also it allows for a wobble or a day going off plan without feeling rigidly controlled by a diet. My cals seditary can be 1850 if i've worked it out right again not sure so work on 1400 it was 1600 but i became static so adjusted. I'm pretty good if i can plan all my food the day before and balance calories to make allowances but get in a mess if my extended family throw a takeaway on me (beg/plead to come over and have a get together then kids get on the band wagon and i feel the party pooper). 1400 i think is ok today i've even allowed for a caramel filled cupcake as my daughter is bringing some back after a cake course....bit of a sweet tooth me!
    Happy birthday jknight! Oh my cake on my mind again lol...
    Ryenday get well soon and you and kitty will be in it together!? I had to check the 0000 on your step goal!! Good luck
    I'm sticking with 1400 during easter break as i can't do 500 with preparing food for kids etc foing fun stuff with them but expect to still loose as out a lot.
    Good luck all x
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning everybody!

Yes, I do think a lot of us ladies here are 5'4" or there about.

Hope you and your cat feel better @ryenday ugh dental stuff is no fun... I have to go this Saturday for a cleaning and I am really not feeling it! The hygenists and dentis are really nice. But I hate all the picking at my teeth and gums!

Thanks for the calorie info @sjgold123 I am not doing 5:2 at the moment since it was not working for me. And I don't mean to be bashing 5:2, because at the moment nothing I am doing is getting the scale moving.

I have been eating anywhere from 1200 to 1500 for the most part. Just have to ride it out. What I am doing will eventually catch up with the scale. It definitely can't hurt!

Last night I did the step mill for 20 minutes. I am definitely getting in to better shape because in the past that machine really kicked my rear. Last night I started out slow and gradually moved faster. Will do faster from the start next time. I also got in a good 25 minutes on the upright exercise bike. I had a great workout with a nice burn on the bike, so I am going to do that for a full 45 minutes tonight. Trying to keep shaking things up and not fall back on old faithful - the treadmill.

See you all soon. :)
  • ryenday
    Options
    Tooth extraction yesterday. Long story but I’ve been nursing an injured tooth for 15 years and this year it decided to just go constantly infected.

So on soft foods. Won’t be a 5:2 week, but doubt I’ll even come close to usual calorie intake.

Ironically, my dear kitty who seems to suffer from the same allergies I do (his drippy eye and my drippy allergy nose always coincide) has a tooth extraction set for tomorrow. Poor baby.
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Ouch. Hope you feel better soon @ryenday tooth issues are not fun...
    Poor kitty! Hope he/she does well in their surgery.

Not too much happening here. Friday yet?

Last night I had a really awesome workout on the upright exercise bike (not the recumbent) and I was able to pedal for 45 minutes at around 15 mph on a decent level and burned 650 calories. Woo hoo! Have to take a break tonight because my rear end muscles are sore! :o Will maybe fall back on the good ole treadmill and see if I can get back on the bike for Thursday. :)

We are slooowly getting nicer weather here. Supposed to be 70 degrees F on Saturday. OMG get out the beach chairs! Kidding... Funny thing is they have called the month of March around here "Marchuary" because it was colder than February temps. Yikes!

Have a nice one all. Almost time for lunch here. See you soon.
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I’m jumping back on the 5:2 train as my weight is slowly creeping back.
    Today will be my first attempt at fasting in awhile.

I work through lunch so shouldn’t have a problem.....keeping my dinner as low cal as possible.
    Thanks for keeping this group going.
    It’s a great weight of getting your health back on track.
  • jknight001
    Options
    Hi all! Second fast day today. Last one of the week. Woohoo! Been having some craving attacks this week. Just praying and pushing it through. Keep telling myself that more food is not going to solve the problem of cravings.

Thank you all for the birthday wishes! I did have an awesome birthday. So glad to be 30 lbs lighter this year. And glad that my clothes frustrate me because they are too big, rather than they are increasingly too small (did the dryer shrink my pants again? :o) . We went out to the beach and ate lunch at a favorite restaurant. Then we played baseball on the beach. My DS is crazy about baseball so any occasion is one for baseball gane! It was too cold to swim but a beautiful day none the less.

@sjgold123 - Glad your caravan was good! My feeling is that even people who are able to stay within their BMI have times where they eat more. The difference is, like you, they eat less later and lose what they have gained.

@rikkejohnsenrij - Welcome to our group! We are so glad to have you join us. We welcome your experience and input.

@Meghan509 - seems to me tonight would be a good night for stretching and a loooong hot bath. B)

@ryenday - This has been a rough season for you! Amazed that you are even thinking about us at 5:2. May you and your kitty feel better soon. Hugs to you! <3

@mamainthekitchen - Hope you are doing well this week. How is your husband doing?

@chiccam - Welcome back. If there is anything we can do to support you, let us know.

• ryenday
    Options
    Hey you wonderful people you!

I’m feeling very lonely because my kitty, Kidd Kirby is at vet having tooth extraction surgery today. My normal cuddle with Kidd and have my coffee routine is upset and I realize how cuddle close we have become in the last few months.

Not 5:2’ing this week because I’m on soft only food due to my own dental woes. That is 2 non 5:2 weeks in a row, and the first ones since October. Im hoping it won’t be too hard to pick it up again next week, as it is the primary tool in my weight maintenance control.

Will be working some odd hours today and tomorrow (helping out b/c they pitched in for me when I had dental woes) but it will enable me to get a good session in at the gym tomorrow. Not sure I’ll be up to swimming (open mouth breathing necessary) but I can use a kick board, tread water etc. maybe work on my pitiful back stroke! Every cardio calorie helps and since much of this week has been milkshakes, yogurt and baked potatoes- well I’m sure I need it! If I had any sense (I don’t) I would have made a big thing of tomato soup last weekend!

@jknight001 and any others doing light days today: More Power to You! I’ll rejoin next week. I get the clothing frustration! But with my shape and size, it is always rare (healthy weight or not) to find a piece of clothing that flatters as well as covers. Lol. Ironically I seem to look best in swimsuits with my figure (one piece suits) but being older and prone to sunburn I only wear swimsuits at the gym pool.

@Meghan509 - I know the scale has been less than cooperative- but how do you feel about your vacation clothes? I understand the feeling that you need to shake up the exercise - I’m with you there, but I don’t do the vigorous cardio that you do, so keeping up
    my weight training is a must for healthy bones. I switch up the cardio alot tho.

Best wishes to all! Off to eat something cold as my jaw aches a lot this morning.
  • Meghan509
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Good morning all!

Thanks @jknight001 LOL That is a great idea to soak in the tub! Sorry to hear about your food cravings. Maybe now that you are nearing maintenance you can have a "scheduled" treat once in a while. So you don't feel like you are neglecting youself but still keeping on track. :)

Last night I had a hearty walk on the treadmill. I would love to get back on the bicycle tonight if I can but today for some reason I am having low back pain. Going to pop an Aleeve and see if that helps. Not sure what I did to myself but it really just started this morning. :(

@chiccam welcome to the group! Yes, do let us know if you have any questions or need help with anything. We are here to help and support each other!

Not too much else going on here. Just trying to stay focused on eating at or a little below my calories for the day. And keeping up with the exercise.

See you guys soon. Have a great Thursday!
  • Meghan509
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Good morning everybody!

Oops, sorry @ryenday I didn't see your post right before mine yesterday. So that is why I didn't comment. It looks like we were typing at the same time!
    To answer your question, yes I do feel comfortable with the vacation clothes I have. I bought some new short sleeve t-shirts. I have a jean skirt that I can still wear. Hangs more on my hips now instead of getting caught up in the tummy area. So I think I am okay for now. Also have a lot of dresses. I love dresses in warm weather. I don't plan on buying anything else until I look through my closet and try on some old stuff. Hoping that for some stuff it just looks a little better than last year. Some stuff, like two awesome long tank dresses that I had picked up at the Gap last year are definitely too big now. One black and one blue and white stripes. They look very baggy so I figured why not turn those in to beach cover ups! This way I won't have to buy a new beach cover up (those are also too big) so it sort of kills two birds with one stone! One thing I do need to buy more of is bras. Dropped down a size on the band, but still holding on to my cup size by a thread. :o LOL

Hope everybody else is doing well. My weigh in is the typical one but I do have some good news on that front. My scale tells me my body fat and muscle percentages. I know I should take them with a grain of salt since I understand that a true body fat composition is with measuring and stuff. But anyway! I have slowly crept down to around 25% body fat, I was in the higher 26's for the last few months. For muscle I have gone up to 35%. It was not that high before. So yes, my body is changing for the better and I can't get hung up on the fact that my total weight is steady. So that's that. :)

Have a nice Friday. It is pretty here. No jacket needed today (first time in months)!! Going to get out at lunch for sure.

Enjoy and see you guys soon.
  • jknight001
    Options
    Well, today is the day I pay the piper for my Spring Break break. :s. Up 3.6 lbs, after already going back to 5:2 for a week. :blush: I guess this is my new start point for weight loss this for this next 5:2 segment. Glad I don't have to start where I was last August :smiley: Hope to be back to 145 by my annual physical appointment mid-May.

@meghan509 - I am getting excited about your trip. So fun to hear about what you have to wear and what you have to buy. You are going to have an awesome time. If you really like your dresses, most cleaners have a seamstress on staff who may be able to easily resize them for less than what it would cost to buy a new dress. Congrats on your body fat measurement going down. That too is important for weight loss and, more importantly, overall health. I am wondering how your scale determines what is muscle and what is fat?

Looking forward to the weekend. DS has a game on Saturday (8am! The things we do for love! :lol ) and Sunday is what we call Forever Ours Day, the day that the court made our son legally ours. :heart: We are surprising him with tickets to a Dodger Game. He will love it. Just wish the Dodgers could pull together and start hitting better. :angry: Win or lose our son LOVES the Dodgers.

Have a great weekend all!
  • sjgold123
    Options
    Hi all just briefly popping on kids still off for me. I put 3llbs on at the caravan and have lost 4llbs so all good this week recovering! Have a good weekend all x
  • Meghan509
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Hi guys!

Figured I would check in again before I head off for the weekend. :)

@jknight001 thanks! Awwww, your note about your son. <3 That is beautiful. Hugs to everybody!

That is a good idea about popping in to a seamstress to have some stuff worked on if needed. The thing with me is I am a bargain / discount shopper so I tend not to spend a lot of money on stuff. So to pay $20 for a dress I got for even less then that at Old Navy for example wouldn't make sense. But, maybe some of my nicer Ann Taylor cropped pants that I have in THREE colors. UGH! LOL Those would be worth it. I will take a look and keep that in mind when I do my try on's and closet walk through. :smiley:

My scale is one of those kinds that has sensors in it. They call it a smart scale. I just Googled and checked to see if I could find it on Amazon, but no luck. I bought it around four or five years ago I think. I found one similar so you can see. Link below. In a nutshell, you program it for who you are: male, female, age, etc. and then you step on it with bare feet if you want to see your break down. Mine gives muscle, fat, and water %. You can also step on regular and it will give just your weight. I see there are a lot more bells and whistles on these scales now. Like showing your BMI. Pretty cool!

https://www.amazon.com/RENPHO-Bluetooth-Body-Fat-Scale/dp/B01N1UX8RW/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1523652003&sr=8-3&keywords=apple+smart+scale

Congrats @sjgold123 That is awesome! Hope you guys had fun.

Have a good one and see you guys soon!
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Hi people! Just wrote a big long post only to get “blocked” by mfp to post?? Weird!
    I’ll try later... this one is a test...
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    ^ok weird... it worked and now I’m outta time here.... hubs is calling!!!! Omg... his knee is healing but......!!!!

Everyone sounds so great!! Keep up the good work! I’ll post later...
  • ryenday
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Kidd Kirby and I both had oral surgery this week. He’s had a harder time tho, his brother, Jackie Kane, has been rejecting him ( due we believe to vet smell) until today. Thank heavens they seem to be good again.

Open spoiler for diabetic coma level inducing sweetness as the brothers cuddle together for a nap.
    o7ipl6mgubg5.jpeg