Not the Keto Flu - the Flu Flu. :(

Options
GoLisaGoSD
GoLisaGoSD Posts: 9 Member
Ugh. Started Keto recently and had a great first week (in many ways it's not so different from Whole30 concepts so the slide into the more dramatic keto wasn't super hard) and was really on my way, those keto sticks were turning pink... no real keto flu that tweaking my magnesium and potassium didn't fix. And then 8 days in I picked up a virus from hell and went down HARD. Crazy headache, high fever for days, body aches and the worst nausea... doc called it flu, they checked for meningitis. Nope - just a crazy variation on the flu (and screw you too, flu shot). Nausea and the keto diet can't be friends - there is no saltine equivalent out there and God help me if one if you say "pork rind" I will throat punch you.

So I made a decision to hit pause and live (am still living) on fresca and crackers... and it's looking like at least another 3-5 days before I can kickstart keto-ing again. Discouraging... but I'll hitch up my big girl panties as soon as I can and get back to doing the thing.

No real point here, just enjoying a safe place to whine. Keto on, keto-ers!

Replies

• ThreeLilBirdsFarm
    ThreeLilBirdsFarm Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Feel better
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    ginger will help...if you can find any ginger ale with real ginger or candied ginger...

I usually just eat eggs when I'm sick...wheat and dairy definitely upset my stomach any time I am ill...

good luck, do whatever you have to do to support your body while you recover!
  • GoLisaGoSD
    Options
    Oh man - i tried eggs. Could. Not. Do. It. I'm not normally this much of a pansy, honest! I've been chugging water infused with muddled fresh ginger... that's helped!
    This too will pass! Thanks for the support!
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    A good remedy for upset stomach is peppermint oil, especially peppermint tea. Dunno if that's going to help you here or not, but I always try to let people know it's a remedy. Lots of liquids, and rest. This will pass. Hugs until it does.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    Hope you feel better soon. Just do what you can and when your better get back at it. I know it’s disappointing but you need to get well soon. Hugs
  • aluhsin
    aluhsin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Get better! Nothing beats saltines and chicken noodle soup!
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Get well soon. Staying hydrated and getting a lot of rest will help you out the most. Do what you have to do to allow your body to fight off the virus. I know when I was sick this last winter I didn't feel like eating anything so I just stuck to the fluids and small meals that didn't make me want to hurl. Once I started feeling better I just went back on plan.
  • GoLisaGoSD
    Options
    Finally! Back to keto as of yesterday. Thanks all for the well wishes. Nice to be back on the horse. :)