improved symptoms

Options
I really don't care much for doctors... Anyway I've had nodes on my thyroid for a few years now. They are benign. They went half way up my neck and virtually all the way across. My doctor told me not to make any dietary changes and to wait for my thyroid to crash so I can go on medication. I have no family history of thyroid issues. Saw a different doctor, was told the same thing.
Prior to this I did spend many years basically starving myself to put a roof over our heads. Found out I was anaemic when I went to donate blood. Had a blood transfusion, didn't take iron tablets.
I also have chronic constipation - 1 bm every 2 weeks sometimes 3 weeks. So much bloat, I went for a colonoscopy and nothing was found. Was told I probably have bad indigestion.
Before the colonoscopy I had taken iron tablets for a year and a half with no improvement in levels. Initially the doctor thought my iron levels were throwing everything else out. Which is what made him check my thyroid levels and other stuff e.g cholesterol and diabetes.
I was suppose to have a blood test 3 months ago to check my thyroid. I have had this niggling thought that I can reverse my damages of self neglect and destruction by eating properly. Personally, I find it alarming and disturbing that I should just 'sit and wait' and it's nothing to be concerned about. Sorry but I don't buy it. If it was not a concern then I wouldn't need medication to begin with - I can't be the only one that has a knee-jerk reaction of 'Kitten that!'
I am finally in a much better financial position now to eat better. For me, I finally figured that if I could get my belly working efficiently, then I'd be able to absorb nutrients better so I upped my fibre. Dimwitted me adds iodized salt when cooking now (hubby had to go low sodium, so I stopped using salt altogether). I mostly eat wholefood plant based whenever possible. It's been a hard few months of alot of ups and downs and waiting for my mind shift to flow. Cows milk is my toughest. I know giving up the coffee is the true battle for me.
My bm is now daily or 2 days at most, the feeling of constant muscle fatigue and inflammation has stopped, along with the dull never ending headache. I didn't even realise that I had brain fog - thought I was just always going to be more dopey than usual. My delay in responding in a conversation is alot quicker now. I'm an introvert so processing was always slow lol. The lump on my neck is a lot smaller too. It's a little harder to notice.
I said to my husband 'Either my nodes are shrinking because my thyroid has crashed (I don't actually know what happens when it does crash so I admit ignorance) or they're shrinking because my thyroid is healing.'
I have been reminding myself that at this time I do not have hypothyroidism. I am close to, but I do not have it. So, If I want to get better, I have to eat better. It is my choice. I could be right or I could be wrong. I think I'm almost ready for another blood test to find out if my efforts have worked.
N.B This is not to throw shade on or minimise anyone's unwellness and what it means for them. I just wanted to put it out there the few personal changes I have noticed from improving my diet has made on how I feel overall and who knows just might ideally save me from needing medication.

Replies

• stevephi01
    stevephi01 Posts: 240 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I think most of us can identify with what you are going through and well done for trying to work it out yourself.

From what I've experienced this is extremely complex and taking this or that medication may work for some, but not for everyone.
    I am on medication and over the past two months it seems to have stopped working. I had a blood test a few weeks ago, but so far the results haven't been read by a DR. Given the complexities it is easier to understand why most Dr's don't have sure fire solutions.

This seems to be working for me, my brain fog seems to be lifting, bm's less infrequent, energy level up and not what I was expecting my blood pressure dropped back to normal zone (on meds for that too). What I did, and this possibly will only apply to me, I checked my food 'stats' on this site. Whilst I thought I was eating well enough, I found I wasn't eating as much protein as I should have. Also I increased my fat intake, that was below recommendation - then I moved onto the vitamins and minerals and found my Potassium intake was extremely low. Increased that, still below the limit, but, and this may be coincidental, I'm feeling somewhat human again. Maybe worth looking at your figures.

I hope it continues to improve for you.
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    amelialoveshersnacks Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I do think it is very unfortunate that you need to take medication and that they have stopped working. I can only assume the feeling of being 'not quite right' is made worse now because of the meds not working. I hope the drs hurry up and find a suitable alternative for you.
    I wholeheartedly agree that 'proper' nourishment seems to make a marked improvement in symptoms and overall sense of well being.

I don't know if my age or my upbringing reflects my attitude towards Drs - that they're just guessing and if we are in tune with our bodies, we should know our own needs best. There are more cliches? that come to mind but I wont mention them.

I try to log my foods more diligently now so I can watch my macros. And I also noticed the coincidences of a very low protein filled day vs a high protein filled day. Being mostly wfpb it is extremely easy to undereat, it's also extremely easy to overeat. I guess finding balance will be on the to do list for some time lol.

And I don't know why it took me so long but I got some b12 a few days ago and that is what helped with easing the brain fog. I only got some because I had shimmering eye vision and feeling the same as how I was feeling right before I had a blood transfusion but knowing my iron levels are good. And research has taught me that the symptoms are similar. Naughty me for not getting onto it as soon as I started eating more meatless meals.

You keep doing you man! Sounds like you're on a solid path to good nourishment. Onwards and upwards

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Hi Amelia, you seem to be making some very good progress, sorting bm's is a great help. Its good news your nodules are reducing. Like you, I fear doctors are generally tied to the system they know or are permitted to apply. I don't know if you have Functional Practitioners near you but they are more open to more recent developments in the understanding of thyroid related issues, they do not wait for the thyroid gland to give up before helping. I believe a system which does this is failing those with problems. There is a list of thyroid friendly Doctors on the Stop the Thyroid Madness site and possibly the Hypothyroid mom too.

Its good you are having positive results with b12. You could try other b complex vitamins too. Possibly something which includes all forms of b vits would be good for you. It would seem as you are benefiting from b12 you have the means to absorb it which not everyone does. Were you to try a b complex please make sure you are not overdosing on b12. Folate comes in the b vitamin range and it is something many women are low in. You may find vit d helpful, if you are in the northern hemisphere the level of Europe the recommendation is 2000 international units for everyone. Its what the British health system recommends.

I don't understand your comment on cows milk. Do you know you react to it, or are you justifiably thinking it may be an issue from things you have read. I was advised I react, normally to casein, initially I gave it up and used rice milk. I was surprised to realise I was feeling much better within 48 hours of total elimination of dairy products. Lactose and casein intolerance can be part of thyroid conditions generally the autoimmune varieties. If you are feeling better because you are not having dairy, all to the good. It is possible goat milk might be worth a try. its predominantly type 2 casein which is like breast milk, cow/bovine milk is predominantly type 1 casein, all milks contain less types 3 and 4 which are least problematical. It is unfortunate if one needs to give up all dairy, its good for iodine which is supportive of the thyroid we need something like 150 microns minimum a day. As a whole food it supports so much more than any non dairy milks. I've started to use digestive enzymes to cope with the lactose and casein, these are freely available in health food shops.

Wishing you all the very best as you work towards a more healthy you.

• amelialoveshersnacks
    Options
    @Fuzzipeg - thanks for the detailed reply.
    The reference to the cows milk is that it makes me bloated and phlegmy and yet I will not do soy, oat, rice, coconut, or almond milk in my coffee. Which is the only time I drink milk. So for me, I would have to give up the coffee to give up the milk. I tried lactose free milk but the phlegm was worse. I'm not lactose intolerant, but I am sensitive to something in cows milk.
    I know it's more a 'that's the way it's always been done' kind of thinking in regard to using cows milk and I am having a hard time mentally adjusting to there being a different way so am willing to continue suffering for it in the meantime. Hmm, I just re-read that. I will try goats milk. In my coffee. I will try goats milk in my coffee. In my head goats milk tastes alot like butter milk. I hope I am wrong. Buttermilk doesn't taste very nice in coffee lol.

I have pondered the benefits of using a b complex supplement instead of a b12. I was of the assumption that the body would flush out any excess b12 since so little is actually needed to do so much. A b complex, however can be overdosed.
    I live in Australia, so sunshine is not an issue here ha! And while I do not like the heat, I do like to be outside.
    The only thing I am really struggling with at this time is regulating my body temp. I'm not sure I know what 'warm' feels like anymore. I'll just keep plodding along.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Options
    You reminded me, I'm fairly certain Australia started the A2 cow milk which can be bought in some if not many supermarkets. It comes from cattle who have been tested to product only or predominantly A2 casein milk. The original cattle with this variation lived in isolation from other herds. It just a though, goat is different tasting to cow.

Please do not dismiss a b complex, its a good way of obtaining the benefits of all the b vitamins without the risk of overdosing on any one of them, it is also less expensive than buying a pot of each. I mentioned the possiblity of overdosing on b12 if you decided to take a complex as well as b12, yes excess b12 is usually eliminated easily, I did not want you blindly taking any risks. Vit c an also be helpful when trying to resolve anaemia.

Low body temperature is most likely related to low thyroid function, fewer t3 than one needs. Without nodules one answer could be an over the counter thyroid support supliment, but I don't think they are available in Australia. Probably its best you look out for a functional or integrative practitioner for the best advice you can achieve for yourself. Sometimes the thyroid shows poor function because another gland is not working well, they are all supposed to work together. Doctors trained this way consider all aspect of the person's health, rather than do what the systems says.

All the very best, always do what is right for you.
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    Options
    @Fuzzipeg - I went and got some a2 milk and goats milk today.... I didn't like the a2 - bit reminiscent of a subtle skim/uht milk taste. The goats milk was so soothing and of course did not taste like buttermilk. Fears can be so irrational at times lol. Bit of a shocker at the price but oh well, because I'm worth it... Thank you very much for the suggestion.

I have been thinking along the lines that I need a nutritionist as I don't understand the thyroid's inter-connectedness or impacts as a whole or as separate components (I hope you understand what I mean as I'm not sure which words best convey the concept I'm trying to put across). I am convinced that my primary issue is nutritional deficiencies.
    I shall begin the hunt for a team player to work with.
    p.s my body temp runs hot, but then it is unusually very warm here still. Bring on winter!

• Fuzzipeg
    Options
    Hi Amelia, I'm pleased the goat milk hit the spot, I hope it works in the long run. Sorry the A2 was disappointing. I think of our Channel Island over here and its rich and creamy, the cream rises to the top. If the goat does not work there are digestive enzymes, if the body makes too few, you should be able to find a supplement from a health food store which would cover lactose/casein. there are a broad range available these days.

I understand your not understanding the thyroid inter-connectedness etc. A nutritionist could be a very good way to go. I hope the person you turn to is qualified to take blood tests and understand them. (our BANT Registration covers this for thyroid and other health issues). I hope you can find someone to support you. Its the nodules which are my concern, I'd not want you to do anything to make them worse. a high temperature is not consistent with being hypo. May be your improved diet has rectified this.

I don't know if you have come across Allison Vickery, she is Australian a certified Health Coach, who has worked in women's health for many years. She has written very interesting books and also has a very interesting website. If you could read from her site and sign up for her free articles too these could be very helpful to you. I found her looking for information on Histamine Intolerance, which can cause higher temperatures. The thinking on Histamine intolerance is, oestrogen dominance which is not buffered by adequate progesterone, but there is much more to understand. If you think thyroid relationships complicated, Histamine is much more so. Meats are more prone to histamine, especially cold cuts, fruits and veg have influences, some are histamine liberators facilitating a higher release, kitchen hygiene and many modern domestic products are also involved.

Wishing you all the very best as you work your way through your interesting situation.