What foods make YOU stall?

Options
potatospud
potatospud Posts: 14 Member
hello everyone, hope you’re all having a wonderful Monday! I’m here today to ask for people’s opinions on what usually makes their weight loss stall or what patterns they have noticed that contribute to stalls. For me, I think my weight stalls when I don’t eat enough vegetables (I’m not sure if that’s common, would really like some input on this), and exercise doesn’t really seem to speed anything up. I was stalled when I worked out every week :\. It’s truly frustrating.

Anyway, if you have any suggestions or would just like to talk about what makes you plateau, please reply!! I’d love to see any responses

Replies

• heatherrk45
    heatherrk45 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    For me it's protein. If I don't eat enough protein I snack a lot more and usually it's stuff I shouldn't be snacking on and I don't lose weight. Since doing low carb I don't snack at all at night, which was usually my most difficult time of the day. And water...I have to drink a lot of water or I get bloated... Good luck!
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    When I consume any artificial sweetener, low carb tortillas (so very sad), and way to many peanuts (if I stick to a serving I am usually ok). I can have one low carb protein bar once in a while (maybe two times a week) and do OK but I usually stick to Raw Rev Glo bars since they don't seem to affect my weight loss and contain a lot of fiber that offsets the carbs. Nugo Slim are "ify"
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer - my primary concern is blood sugar control. I am now right about where I want to be in terms of weight right now. That said, I see the same things causing issues with both. Common foods that can hinder are nuts (including peanuts even though they are really legumes), seeds and dairy.

I am currently doing some elimination experiments and have decided cheese and almonds are not an issue for me, but peanuts are the devil in food form. This really sucks because I like peanuts. They are great for eating at a baseball game straight from the shell.

I still have macadamia, pecan, walnuts, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds to test. I started doing without all of them several weeks ago and will bring one in at a time to measure effect.

Another thing I see frequently is people thinking they must eat a certain amount of fat. If you are trying to lose weight, keep the carbs down, eat enough protein (this gets sticky because you will hear all kinds of numbers here) and only eat enough fat for satiety. The rest of the "fat" you burn will come from what you have in your personal storage. As @heatherrk45 stated, it is common to overeat if you don't get enough protein due to how satiating protein is.

If you normally eat 2000 calories a day, you would be hard pressed to eat 2000 calories of protein. Even if you did, you may not eat again for a couple of days. That said, your body has its limits on how much it can process. Unfortunately, that varies broadly. Best advise I can give is experiment. The low end is around 0.8g per kg of lean body mass (if you are 200 lbs and have a body fat percentage of 30%, your LBM would be 140 lbs or about 64 kg). The high end would be 3 g per kg of LBM. For the example I gave, that would mean a range between 51 g a day and 192 g a day. Big range.

The more active you are, the higher that number will likely be.

As for exercise, the truth is you lose pounds in the kitchen and ounces in the gym. That said, you will get more benefit from strength training than from aerobics. The absolute best is to get a lot of low level movement (think getting 10,000 steps over the course of the day just by moving more) combined with 20 minutes 3-5 times a week of heavy lifting. You do not have to worry about getting big and muscular. What this will do is give you enough muscle mass to increase your basal metabolic rate so you burn more calories when you are doing nothing.

Good luck!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I have a theory now that low carb tortillas and possibly low carb protein bars cause stalls for me. Not positive yet.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Nuts! Its very easy to eat far too many.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    ooooh chocolate bunnies............
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    My two favorite dangerous bunnies....

7gor00ozthgs.png
    jr8dqxr0yb0z.png
  • JaiNicole7
    JaiNicole7 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Carbs-pasta, rice & occasional desserts are my Kryptonite, and they definitely seem to stall my weight loss. If I indulge in more than one serving I'm sure to be 2-3 lbs up in water weight the next day. Which has derailed me/set me back before, because then I indulge again with emotional eating. Working on breaking the cycle and learning to live lower carb and when I do indulge limit to one serving.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Cashews, pistachios, almond butter, peanut butter - I usually get an unpleasant feedback message in the form of GI pains and cramping. Cooking oils as well; it's just way to easy to go over on kcals by not measuring or just eating by emotional satisfaction or plain old craving.
  • need2move2
    need2move2 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Too many nuts.. plus been playing with almond flour... awesome but very calorie high.. so baked good will be a rare treat!
  • flitabout38
    flitabout38 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have a list!
    Atkins bars
    Heavy cream
    peanuts
    Artificial sweeteners
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    I have a theory now that low carb tortillas and possibly low carb protein bars cause stalls for me. Not positive yet.

As a low carb tortilla lover (they don't give me tummy aches like bread does), what's your theory?
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options

As a low carb tortilla lover (they don't give me tummy aches like bread does), what's your theory?

Just that they cause stalls for me. ;) No theory on why. I'm experimenting with Joseph's lavash flatbread now to see if that has the same effect. i was mostly eating La Banderita low carb tortillas before; maybe there's something in the ingredients that makes me stall?
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Just that they cause stalls for me. ;) No theory on why. I'm experimenting with Joseph's lavash flatbread now to see if that has the same effect. i was mostly eating La Banderita low carb tortillas before; maybe there's something in the ingredients that makes me stall?

My only theory is that I possibly have some gluten sensitivity and they cause and inflammatory response and I retain water weight. I can have a corn tortilla now and then if I watch my daily carb count and it doesn't do anything to me. Also if I eat the whole wheat low carb tortilla it gives me some serious heartburn while the other more processed versions don't, go figure.

I used to think some manufacturers weren't really producing a low carb product and just packing regular tortillas in a low carb bag and charging more or their recipe will vary from batch to batch changes just how "low carb" they are. I just stay away from them these days or buy a bag and freeze them an have them once in a great while. I am from New Mexico and tortillas have been a staple for me all my life so its a challenge.

• cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Everything and anything. The other night I made a simple cauliflower bake and ended up eating all 10 oz. I need to find my control switch. Even protein doesn't seem to work at stopping my hunger sometimes, especially after working hard on the farm.

I'm avoiding baking low carb goodies. I've banished any type of nuts....almonds more because of the excessive Round Up used in growing them. I think I'll get rid of dark chocolate and Atkins bars next. If it's not in the house I can't eat it.

But here is the problem, my hubby is underweight due to kidney and dialysis problems. He has no diabetes problems so I have to keep fattening goodies, cakes, pies, donuts, ice cream and cookies around for him. And they have to be on the shelf where he can see them, or he'll forget they are there and wont eat them. Just like I hide the good stuff from myself so I don't eat it, I have to tempt him with it at the same time. I see those donuts and treat myself to a bag of peanuts. The chocolate cookies beckon me, so I eat 3 squares of 73% chocolates after having already eaten my carb limit. Sigh, I have found that if I cover his treats with a dish towel, I'm less likely to move on to treating myself with low carb items. But I have to remind him they are still there under the towels and I hear them whisper my name.... ;)