Doing Keto , little help please

Options
tammyfranks2
tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
Ok for about a week , i have went full on keto , I was just doing low carb with added stuff like the fat bombs , my blood sugars were so good , This week Not so good yesterday morning , 166 and today 131 , I am devastated . I am working so hard . I get 2500 calories a day , which is a lot of fat to eat in one day , if you eat 70% of food fats and 25 % protein and 5 % carbs ...... ok I seem to be left over of 40 to 50 g of fats left to eat and I just can't , so I dropped my daily calorie count to 2000 , today I stayed under that , and also ate all the fat I was to eat. SO my question is do you think this will fix my high blood sugars in the morning???? Thank you in advance for help!!

oh also I am on hormones to help fix a woman problem , sorry guys

Replies

• tammyfranks2
    Options
    Thank you I feel way better about things now !! really !!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    no matter what I do. It actually tends to go down after I eat my first meal, which is usually just animal products (no carbs).

yes i do this as well and yep i bet i don't have an actual carb until late lunch ( don't eat till 3 or 4 pm) but i do eat in the mornings no carbs.

Funny how that works, isn't it? I remember being baffled at first when I would eat and my BG fell. LOL ;)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    dawn phenomenon - it's normal for BG to rise prior to waking, even in non-diabetics...eating triggers your body to release insulin, so that helps bring it down if you aren't introducing carbs...some people do not eat carbs after 2pm in order to try to counteract the morning high BG, but I'm not sure if that is effective for everyone.
  • tammyfranks2
    Options
    Today I have eating maybe 2 times , like real dinner food , and now it's after 10 pm and I am hungry , so normally I would eat the pork rinds , no carbs at all , but yeah calories , before with the reg low carb it was ok , but now with the added fat , my sugars are high , so I am going to try and NOT eat a snack and wait till morning , to eat . so maybe my BS will be more in a good range , this morning it was 131 . ughhh lol i still have only had 10 to 14 carbs today and yesterday . i have been watching dr.berg and I will try Dr. Bernstein as well , cause berg wants ya down to only 1 meal a day , that seems crazy to me , if I eat 2000 calories in one meal how is that helping me , anyways LOL I know he didn't mean that but , how do you get your daily food in one meal ? But I am going to figure this out , and I am still eating low carb so that is all that counts.
  • PeacefulTomm
    PeacefulTomm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    110 isn’t bad how is it going now
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic, but I eat keto, and like others here, I keep my net carbs under 25 grams (total carbs usually around 50)... It's the only macro I watch.

I eat meats and veggies cooked in olive oil, sometimes topped with dairy (cheese or sour cream).

I snack on fruits, cheeses, and proteins.

I have quit trying to force more fats, unless severely under calorie.

I'm 5'8" 45 yrs old, and try to consume 1400-1700 calories a day. I don't stress if I go over or under a little.

Good luck, you've got this!!
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic so I can't speak to your A1C etc. I very regularly follow a 16hour fast 8 hour eating window schedule. And after 4 years of self trial and error I've found a couple things to work well for that Intermittent Fasting schedule:

1) real food. Things like pork rinds, and meat sticks and deli meats and cheeses loaded me with fats but not the actual proteins my body needed to function at it's best. If I focus on chicken, green veggies, full fat dairy (with loads of protein) like plain greek yogurt, and cottage cheese, eggs etc I find myself much more full, and with better energy etc. The processed stuff is easy. And tasty, and can be very low carb but it wasn't helpful for me

2) I drink a lot of water. Not everybody needs to. I always have even before I went low carb. I live in a desert It's just part of what I do. When I'm fasting I find having the water there makes a huge difference. I don't "feel" fake hunger. When I'm hungry, I really am hungry.

3) Sleep. If I'm not getting enough sleep my body wants food. And not the good foods that make it feel good, it wants the crap stuff that gives it a cheep energy rush. Focusing on my sleep, and making sure I'm doing all the things that allow me to get good quality sleep has done more for me than anything really. It was shocking.

maybe one of these things would be helpful for you too. Good luck! Keep experimenting and figuring out what works for you and your body.
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    How do you get your carbs under 20? I am so interested in doing that, but it seems so much of any foods we eat, we add to the carb counter, at least a bit. Can you describe a breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks for a day that keep carbs under 20?
    need2move2 wrote: »
    Keto for me is not so many grams of fat. keto for me is 20 grams of carbs or less. This is what works for my body. Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    snha wrote: »
    How do you get your carbs under 20? I am so interested in doing that, but it seems so much of any foods we eat, we add to the carb counter, at least a bit. Can you describe a breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks for a day that keep carbs under 20?

Here's a list of zero carb foods, just pick some of them? You can eat hard-boiled eggs for snacks, meat for breakfast --whatever you like! Just avoid high-carb things. https://lowcarbediem.com/atkins-zero-carb-foods-list-free-download/
  • snha
    Options
    This is a great list. Thanks.
    camtosh wrote: »

Here's a list of zero carb foods, just pick some of them? You can eat hard-boiled eggs for snacks, meat for breakfast --whatever you like! Just avoid high-carb things. https://lowcarbediem.com/atkins-zero-carb-foods-list-free-download/

• snha
    Options
    @camtosh just checked your profile and you seem to have been successful for a number of years. How did that work? what was it that made weight loss stick?
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options

You are welcome to friend me and see my diary. I have been doing keto since 2016, and I log.

• svpLarry
    svpLarry Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I found this video on what is called the Dawn Phenomenon: High Fasting Blood Sugar Levels On Keto & IF
    I found it very interesting
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l80su1zCLc