Latest Labs-Not as Happy as I'd Like to be

Options
AshStout83
AshStout83 Posts: 190 Member
Hi, low-carbers. I had my annual wellness screening today and I'm not pleased with my LDL number. It jumped 29 points since last August. I'd like your thoughts. The only change I've made is increasing my cream consumption. I use around a pint every two days. I used to measure one tablespoon, but I started just pouring it in. I've also noticed my body odor is back. I use men's deodorant and I smell a few hours after I shower. I have to sniff my armpit to notice it, but I definitely stink again. I know cholesterol rises when we're burning fat, so that may be part of it.

Here are my numbers from today. Here are my numbers from last August.
TC-196 TC-165
HDL-73 HDL-71
TRG-67 TRG-63
LDL-110 LDL-81
TC/HDL Ratio-2.7 TC/HDL Ratio-2.3
GLU-88 GLU-82

Replies

• AshStout83
    Options
    Thanks. I was just surprised by the large increase in LDL. I haven’t noticed any new weight loss, but the BO made me wonder if that was the cause. I’m not trying to lose anymore. I reached my goal last year, so I expected my numbers to be better or the same, not worse. I appreciate your input.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I've had the same Issue with LDL getting out of hand in the past; culprit turned out to be simply not measuring my fats (strangely enough, my HDL: TC ratio was still ideal, TC > 300mg/dL, HDL ~ 125mg/dL). Triglycerides indicate you are carbohydrate limited for sure

I've compromised fat consumption getting TC just under 200mg/dL but HDL now only around 80+mg/dL (no impact on triglycerides as I expected). Overall, your LDL is still rather good (the most stringent LDL goal is around 70mg/dL....based on other factors (CVDx, diabetes, age,etc.) goals cut offs are usually 130mg/dL and 100mg/dL for LDL.

It's a very grey area as to whether you NEED to make an intervention. Ratio is still good and normal variance from cholesterol draws could easily put you back in goal range
  • AshStout83
    Options
    Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts and experience. I appreciate your insight.
  • AshStout83
    Options
    Thank you, Macchiatto. I am interested and I appreciate you sharing your numbers and advice.
  • AshStout83
    Options
    Excellent information, cstehansen. I really appreciate the time you took to share all of that with me. Thank you!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNfjkTyBUdQ

Watch the video. Sometimes the timelines we have in our head to resolve an issues do not coincide with the timelines our bodies need to correct the issue. My body took 4 years to get there.
  • AshStout83
    Options
    Thank you, ladipoet. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNfjkTyBUdQ

Watch the video. Sometimes the timelines we have in our head to resolve an issues do not coincide with the timelines our bodies need to correct the issue. My body took 4 years to get there.

Thanks so much for this link to a short clip I was needed to see again. :)
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    No problem my peeps! :)<3