Introduce yourself + 3 Questions to answer :)

Options
Let's jumpstart this group in 2018!

Three questions for the group to get the conversation going:
  1. When did you first decide to try lifting?
  2. What dietary changes have you made to complement your lifting?
  3. Fill in the blank: I'm a woman who lifts because ___________________________.

Replies

• lady_of_steele
    lady_of_steele Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'll start!
    1. I first decided to try lifting in March 2018, during physical therapy for recovery from cervical spine surgery. We did a lot of core strengthening and shoulder/back muscle targeting, and I got hooked! Now that I've graduated PT, I feel it's time to switch from resistance bands to lifting.
    2. I began intermittent fasting on a 16 hour fast/8 hour eating schedule to complement my lifting (only a week in). So far, I've only been working out during my eating hours, but I'm going to shift some of my workouts to the fasting time as soon as I think I can handle it.
    3. I'm a woman who lifts because I want to be fit enough to say YES to almost any physical activity this summer. I love indoor climbing/bouldering, and hiking, so I want to be ready to go at (almost) a moment's notice.
  • charlenegrichard
    charlenegrichard Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    1. I started lifting three years ago because I felt the overwhelming urge to get into shape. As in, I woke up one day and told my husband "We need to join the gym today." He got on board simply b/c he didn't want to waste money. A year later he was diagnosed with a soft tissue sarcoma and had to have his entire right glute muscle removed and his sciatic nerve cut and repaired. The doctors say if he hadn't been in the great shape he was in the recovery would have been awful. He bounced back at a miraculous rate from the surgery and the cancer treatment. We thank God every day for that overwhelming urge I was given.
    2. I initially just cut calories, then I got pregnant after a 10 lb weight loss. After delivery I did a modified Advocare challenge while lifting (and breastfeeding) and lost 75 lbs. Now I count macros.
    3. I'm a woman who lifts because I want to be healthy for my kids/family, I enjoy it, and because we are only given one body so I should take care of it.
  • lannakin
    lannakin Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    1. I am starting tomorrow. My friend is showing me what to do. I am pretty excited. I’ve lifted in the past but just from videos and I was never sure if I was doing it right. To be honest the weights have intimidated me but I want to do it.
    2. I will have to eat more protein rich foods. I am not a huge meat eater and often have to remind myself to get protein. I like beans and quinoa so that’s a plus.
    3. I want to lift weights to become stronger and be the healthiest version of me!
  • cmkeller88
    cmkeller88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Let's jumpstart this group in 2018!

Three questions for the group to get the conversation going:
    1. When did you first decide to try lifting?
      I first started lifting in highschool with my softball team. It was not mandatory but highly encouraged. I was in the best shape of my life without even trying really. Then I had a babya year after graduation with my now husband, we were struggling for years before he had a career change, another baby, health scared, and two moves later, I am medically cleared to lift again.
    2. What dietary changes have you made to complement your lifting?
      I try to limit and/or cut out added sugars. Staying under the 10% of my calories recommended guideline is my goal. Other than that, I try to eat at home with produce of some sort at each meal. Or I'll double up during a meal if I end up just wanting a sandwich for lunch or dinner.
    3. Fill in the blank: I'm a woman who lifts because I want to show my daughter and son that a mom can be more than just the maid of the house who chauffeurs them around. Between taking charge of my health and being in college full-time, I can only hope they will see the strength they both have to achieve their own goals.