I glass of wine on keto = hangover

Options
I had a salad with protein and a glass of Sauvignon Blanco for dinner last night, drank 2 liters of water throughout the day, but still woke up feeling like I’d been pounding shots all night! Assuming this is one of those keto side effects ? I have had red wine on keto but this is the first time I finished the whole glass.

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Many find that keto turns them into lightweights.
    I never have unfortunately. Maybe because I'm practically a friggin Amazon... :smirk:
    So, yeah, it's a thing. Regarding hangover, alcohol messes with electrolyte balance. It's dehydrating. So next time, have a preemptive ketoade. I make my boozehol mix a heavily salty ketoade drink (with whiskey or vodka). And I have another salty drink first thing in the a.m. No hangover. So if you are doing wine, make sure you get a salt bolus before or after to avoid hangover next time.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I drink wine mixed with La Croix flavored water mostly. If I do drink a full glass of red or white. I do get a buzz. I am a really cheap date now for DH >:)

I have found that my magnesium supplements help, so no hang overs thankfull.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Thanks, salting up today!

The interesting thing to me is that the wine tasted too sweet, and it was dry. I think my taste buds changed!
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I don’t get a full hangover(just minor headache) but as head pain is fairly normal for me daily, it counts as very little when caused by drinks. But, I did notice that one 5oz glass of wine has me giggly, and two has me pretty much done. I have never been a heavy drinker but could previously hold my own easily, as in coherent, good choice making, etc, easily after 5-6 drinks. Now I am scared what 3 would do! Lol.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I was a lightweight prior to keto anyway, so the last time I even attempted to drink wine I was starting to get lightheaded after two sips....Whoops!
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    goodness I wish I was that much of a cheap date, or my husband does! No change with adding alcohol for me!
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've been working liquor back into my life slowly as I'm cautious of everyone's horror stories of becoming light weights after keto. I had 5 oz of vodka on Friday night, and 5 oz of red wine last night, and I had the bigger hangover with the vodka. Which is fine by me, because I love wine! But I'm not much of a connoisseur, because I find a brand I like and I stick with it. So when I researched what wine I can drink, all the literature says 'dry wines.' I have no idea what a dry wine is >_< But my Apothic Red seems to be okay, so I'll stick with it. ^_^
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Wine always gives me a headache due to the sulfites so I stay away from it. Vodka and soda with lime or an occasional White Claw Seltzer are my go to drinks.
  • melluc2
    melluc2 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I can't drink as much as I once did. Which is good! I have 2 shots mixed with diet coke over a couple hours and I'm good to go.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Dry wines have less carbs than sweet wines because more of the sugar is consumed during fermentation, or sometimes because the grapes used have a lower sugar content to begin with...Apothic Red is listed as 4g carbs per 5oz serving, so that is fine...something like a sweet table red is more likely to have 20g of carbs per 5oz serving because of the high residual sugar.
  • Scott555
    Scott555 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Since I started my favorite beer no longer tastes the same and now I’m a lightweight as well.
    At least it will be cheaper going forward.
  • temazur
    temazur Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing, hangovers come easier so far. We have a whisky tasting to go to tonight, so I'm pre-hydrating like a frat boy before homecoming. :smiley: