Cupboard clearance tomorrow! Starting LCD Monday! Help!

Options
Salkeela
Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
edited April 2018 in Social Groups
Hello all. I'm Sally.

um4glv9ey733.png

I've been doing Intermittent Fasting (IF) for about a year. I often fast 20hrs each day, but sometimes I do 2x 36hr fasts a week, and once I did an 81hr fast. I eat well in between times and like cooking real food. I currently eat gluten-free and low-ish sugar.

Unfortunately, in my year of IF didn't lose a certain pesky 20lb that I gained a couple of years ago (whilst on a drug treatment). So right now I'm stuck just that much above where I want to be.

I also have ME/cfs which limits my exertion levels. This means exercise is out. But my health is better than it was and I want to face up to getting my figure back. I've been told LCHF also helps with migraine, and that is another incentive.

PLAN:
Tomorrow I finish clearing out the cupboards, fridge and freezer - so all the GF bread, rice, GF pasta, potatoes, dried fruit etc. will be GONE.

On MONDAY
I'm starting the two week challenge via the DietDoctor.com site (first month free ;) ).

So I guess I'm just looking for some support. I don't think I'm going to find this easy - especially giving up bread, apples and potatoes. I've bought Suzanne Ryan's book Simply Keto to keep me inspired. . . .

Please tell me I can manage this!!

Supportive and encouraging comments very much welcomed at this point. :blush:

Replies

• chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    You can certainly do this. The recipes on the diet dr site are excellent generally and the two week challenge certainly gets you viewing differently as it adds so many things you will have previously have thought of as not 'good' for you!
    One of the recipes on there is for an almond bread which is really good and means you can have bread too! In the longer term I think we come to the realisation that we may have to watch the calories a bit as well, but by the time you are in Keto and fat adapted those drop fairly naturally anyhow as generally people become less hungry although you have been doing IF for a while anyhow. Good luck and enjoy the recipes and the new way of eating!
  • Salkeela
    Options
    Thank you. :smile:

I've printed out the Week Plan, the shopping list and the Foods to Avoid list, and am priming my good man to accompany me on this endeavour. He likes the idea of scrambled eggs in the morning which helps. And has told me I'm allowed to hide his breakfast cereals, tomato ketchup and bread. I'm not entirely sure he'll manage once out at work, but we'll see.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

There are a few of us around here who find LCHF helps with migraines. Just make sure you increase salt or you could make the problem worse before it gets better. ;)

You can do this! The first couple of days might be a bit hard but most seem to get into a LCHF groove pretty quick. Just jump on in.:)
  • cricketpower
    cricketpower Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Hi, Sally. :) I'm new to the forums here, but I am not new to keto. I wish you all the best in your journey & will be here for support. Just remember: you have to pop in and TALK to us. That's sometimes hard to do when you are feeling all sorts of out of sorts... but I think it always helps to talk to others who understand. Take care & good luck!
  • Salkeela
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Thank you all you lovely people for this encouragement.

Last night I did an online shop, so all this week's ingredients will all arrive this afternoon. The big cupboard clearance is about to commence (I'm just finishing my morning coffee, and that habitual surf round Facebook and Twitter first ;) )

I'm going to have to leave a little bread and cereal available for my Mother in Law who is coming to stay tonight. She's nearly 80 and has her own eating routine, but I'm used to resisting normal bread and cereals anyway (cos I've been gluten free for several years now).

Fortunately, I've always cooked somewhat alternative foods, so I doubt my MIL will even notice that our dinner this evening will be LCHF. LOL.

@nvmomketo It is interesting about the salt. I have definitely found I need to supplement salt when fasting, and have just finished reading a very interesting book called "The Salt Fix" about how the standard Low Salt advice may have suffered the same sorts of errors as the Low Fat advice.

Regarding salt, I often make a drink for myself with hot water, Himalayan salt, black pepper and fresh thyme. Tastes really good and has none of the additives of a stock cube. Sometimes I switch out the thyme for Turmeric powder (as it is anti-inflammatory which helps with ME/cfs muscle aches) and that also tastes good.

Okay, heading to the Twitter-verse now, then cupboards!
  • Salkeela
    Options
    Large larder cupboard - DONE o:)

However there are a couple of other lesser-used-corners, that still need cleared out. Nearly there. ;)
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hi! Haha the dreaded cupboard clearance! I remember doing that but it was the best thing ever. I wish you all the best on your journey, keto definitely helps me with migraines. When I go off track I certainly notice a huge difference. You've got this :-)
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    Hi Sally,
    Thanks for the book recommendation. I’ve realized that I haven’t been getting enough salt when fasting and have felt miserable. I’m still experiencing the keto flu and it sucks, but every day it gets a little better.
    Wishing you success as you embark on improving your heath!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Salkeela wrote: »
    Thank you all you lovely people for this encouragement.

Last night I did an online shop, so all this week's ingredients will all arrive this afternoon. The big cupboard clearance is about to commence (I'm just finishing my morning coffee, and that habitual surf round Facebook and Twitter first ;) )

I'm going to have to leave a little bread and cereal available for my Mother in Law who is coming to stay tonight. She's nearly 80 and has her own eating routine, but I'm used to resisting normal bread and cereals anyway (cos I've been gluten free for several years now).

Fortunately, I've always cooked somewhat alternative foods, so I doubt my MIL will even notice that our dinner this evening will be LCHF. LOL.

@nvmomketo It is interesting about the salt. I have definitely found I need to supplement salt when fasting, and have just finished reading a very interesting book called "The Salt Fix" about how the standard Low Salt advice may have suffered the same sorts of errors as the Low Fat advice.

Regarding salt, I often make a drink for myself with hot water, Himalayan salt, black pepper and fresh thyme. Tastes really good and has none of the additives of a stock cube. Sometimes I switch out the thyme for Turmeric powder (as it is anti-inflammatory which helps with ME/cfs muscle aches) and that also tastes good.

Okay, heading to the Twitter-verse now, then cupboards!

That was a good book. I forgot about that one.

Many, if not most, around here find that they need 3000-5000 mg or more of sodium a day. There is 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of salt. I was not a big salt eater before LCHF, and had problems with low blood pressure. Now I eat a half teaspoon to teaspoon of salt a day with a chaser of water. It really helps me, but my family first thought I was nuts. :D
  • Salkeela
    Options
    Salt is an interesting thing. I always wondered why people thought eating salt "puts pressure on your kidneys"..... I was a biology teacher (before ill-health) and as I understood kidney function, it was the re-absorption of salt when salt levels were low, that caused the kidneys to work. Otherwise excess salt is just passively flushed out with the water you drink. So I was never a person to go all-out to avoid salt. It never made sense to me. Now of course, I am supplementing it a bit. That helps with fasting for sure, and keto too. So yeah... SALT... :blush:
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Hope you're on track. It's always the first two weeks that I struggle hardest with all the cravings. After that it gets easier.
    If your cupboards aren't cleaned out by now, I recommend a walk out to the trash bin. I've done it before... to get started off right, and also I'd a pesky, carby intruder makes its way into my home...somehow.

Not proud of wasting food, but if I'm not fierce about it, I falter.
    I'm also working on getting rid of a 20 pound regain...for a long time now.
    Since it's not as much weight as my initial loss, I struggle most with determination to stay true to plan in the moment of actual temptation.

Good luck to you, pal!

• Salkeela
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Thanks for asking @elize7 . Things are good so far. I've been gluten and chocolate free for years so I'm quite used to refusing foods I don't eat, and thankfully I don't have a very sweet tooth any more, so in truth cravings are not too high for me. (Having said that I do miss - but not crave - mashed potatoes under melted butter... )

My sister always joked that I used to put a little bit of toast under my slice of butter, so you can see that adapting to this diet is not so very difficult for me. I just need to find something else to eat my butter with! LOL

I've the cupboards are mostly cleaned now, and I've removed a load of stuff (scary how many jars were in there with just a half a teaspoon left in the bottom) but I haven't actually chucked ALL the flours etc for cooking, as my daughters will want to bake when they come home. This stuff is however in a sealed box upstairs out of sight, and well away from the kitchen!

Anyway, just a few days in, and I'm pleased to note I've lost a couple of lbs already, despite eating well and not feeling at all hungry. I imagine some of that is water loss, due to the lowered blood sugar levels etc, but I don't care, I'm taking it. :)

Hope you are fairing well too and keeping the carbs at bay. Best wishes. Sally