Cholesterol Test Results-Concern or not?

Options
Dianecg
Dianecg Posts: 44 Member
Got back annual test results today. Just starting to research this but wanted to share and get others thoughts. Below are the results from Jan 2017 (non-Ketogenic diet) and then Jan 2018 (keto diet for about 3 months):

Total Chol: 202 -->230
Triglycerides: 77 -->58
LDL-C: 129 -->138
HDL: 58 -->78

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hey @Dianecg, here's a link to another discussion on here which might be helpful:
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10623850/sticking-through-the-cholesterol-wave#latest
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It looks pretty good to me. :) HDL is up and triglycerides fell. Your LDL is up a bit but I would guess that there are becoming a more desirable density.

That's quite a good change in only 3 months. :)
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    I think it looks good! You are going in the right direction!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    New podcast/transcript from Dr. Malcolm Kendrick via NourishBalanceThrive (Christopher Kelly) nourishbalancethrive.com/podcasts/nourish-balance-thrive/why-cholesterol-levels-have-no-effect-cardiovascul/
    Dr. Malcolm Kendrick is a medical doctor, author, speaker, and sceptic living in Cheshire, England. His evidence-based arguments refute the lipid hypothesis and other ideas related to chronic illness that has resulted in a pervasive culture of fear and misinformation. His popular blog features an ongoing series of posts on the real causes of heart disease, pointing to endothelial damage as a causal factor and nitric oxide as vital for preserving health.

Dr. Kendrick is with us to share not only what really causes cardiovascular disease, but the specific environmental and psychosocial factors that cause the most harm, and what we need to do to maintain good health. We also discuss unexpected side effects of common medications and supplements and the healing power of specific micronutrients. If you enjoy this podcast, you can support Dr. Kendrick’s work by pre-ordering his latest book, A Statin Nation: Damaging Millions in a Brave New Post-Health World, available 7/12/18.
  • primalpam
    primalpam Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Those are awesome. HDL went up. Triglycerides went down. That's exactly what is supposed to happen.
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Your results are better than mine. My triglycerides went up and my HDL went down. Don't knw that I did anything different except lose more weight.
  • rnjenny8599
    rnjenny8599 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thats a lot like mine,
    Total chol-273---369!!!
    HDL 27---38
    LDL-203
    Trig 213
    in 3 months. I expected the total to rise, but seeing that number was still a shock. My dr is probly going to crap his pants. but all my ratios improved significantly except one. And that is with NO statins. And on steroids. I have research and am armed for bear for my follow up apt.
  • rnjenny8599
    Options
    I might add also, that now I have settled in to low carb and am comfortable, I am working to increase my good fats some more and trying to eat things like avocado which I have hated. My tastes have changed and different things taste good now.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Thats a lot like mine,
    Total chol-273---369!!!
    HDL 27---38
    LDL-203
    Trig 213
    in 3 months. I expected the total to rise, but seeing that number was still a shock. My dr is probly going to crap his pants. but all my ratios improved significantly except one. And that is with NO statins. And on steroids. I have research and am armed for bear for my follow up apt.

Your total Chol and LDL can go up when you loss weight, irregardless of what diet you are on.
    Your moving in the right direction. Seeing progress. What matters is the size of the LDLs. if fat and fluffy bring them on, if tiny they can cause damage. I'd push any dr. who wouldn't do the NMR test, or order it here: requestatest.com at about $99 per NMR test.

Read up about how these numbers can vary within days.

http://cholesterolcode.com/
  • rnjenny8599
    Options
    Good info, thanks. I will ask for the test.
  • flitabout38
    flitabout38 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Also if your are actively losing, you are actively mobilizing your fat stores in your body. That means more fat in your blood. Blood lipid tests really shouldn't be done during active weight loss or until your weight loss has stabilized.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    And by stabilize - that means 6 months stable weight/fat loss wise. Otherwise those numbers are essentially invalid. Cholesterol numbers are very volatile. That's why an average of consistent results is essential for a "true" reading of your cholesterol health...