Keto “Off-Switch?”

Options
wheeee123
wheeee123 Posts: 19 Member
So, I’ve been in Ketosis for about two weeks, confirmed by pee sticks, and I’ve had the oddest thing happen to me twice in as many days.

As I was eating dinner last night, and then lunch today, I suddenly had to stop eating because I was extremely full and completely satisfied. It was almost a physical sensation, like a switch was flipped.

Both dinner and lunch were reasonable portions of healthy food (600 or 700ish calories). Dinner was salmon, roasted broccoli, and a few cubes of cheese. Lunch was greens with blue cheese dressing, two hard boiled eggs, and salami. I don’t snack between meals, and I either just have butter coffee or a cheese omelette for breakfast.

Portion control has always been a challenge for me, and I think I’ve cleaned every plate ever set before me. But when the “off-switch” clicked, I had no desire to finish what was left.

I’m happy that this happened- and wondering if it is something other Keto newbies felt. I also wonder if thin people always feel the off-switch.

Replies

• cricketpower
    cricketpower Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Thin people do not always feel the off-switch. Not when eating carbs.

Pee sticks are unreliable for telling you what is actually going on in your body. That is why people invest in blood ketone monitors and the very expensive strips that go with them. But when you are feeling the effects as you have in the past couple of days ~ welcome to ketosis. From the history you describe, I think you'll like it here. :)
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I'm the same as you. Historically I've always eaten everything in front of me and it took a lot of food to make me feel full... then I'd become overstuffed.

Keto is the only way I've found that controls my hunger signals and satiety signals. I can actually tell when I'm hungry and feel when I'm satisfied. I've had a number of times like you're describing where I just have to put my fork down and say "I can't finish this! I'm full!" Which was a new experience for me.

It's been 10 months for me so it doesn't happen often anymore, I can usually tell how much is enough just by looking at it. But if my body says I'm full, or not hungry, I listen :)
  • gayle_moeller
    gayle_moeller Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    yes, wheeee123!
    Thanks for describing this. I just started keto about a week and half ago and was just thinking these very thoughts last night as I shared *half* my dinner with my son because I was full!?!?!?!
    The off switch I've never felt, that and going half or three quarters of a day without eating because...I'm not hungry yet have fully adequate energy! *What?*
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Yes, this definitely happened to me, and I felt most full when I first went into ketosis. Now I have been on it for a few months and will finish my meals, but the funny thing is--if I get interrupted while eating, I often will forget I didn't finish. I think I finish my meals because I enjoy them and mentally think they are "small" compared to what my family eats. But physically, I probably could skip many of them. I'm happy with my weight loss so at this point, am going to finish what's on my plate when I want to. But it does make me not at all nervous about being "keto-stranded"--at a social event with no keto-friendly options--because I now know that I could just not eat and these events without becoming weak or tired.
  • wheeee123
    wheeee123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    yes, wheeee123!
    Thanks for describing this. I just started keto about a week and half ago and was just thinking these very thoughts last night as I shared *half* my dinner with my son because I was full!?!?!?!
    The off switch I've never felt, that and going half or three quarters of a day without eating because...I'm not hungry yet have fully adequate energy! *What?*

It’s great, isn’t it? So glad it’s happening to others too.

When I was only counting calories, but not counting carbs, I would sometimes feel full 10 to 15 minutes after eating, but I COULD have continued if I’d wanted. When the keto switch flips, eating is not possible for hours.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Keto has been a blessing for me. I felt like I was starving after weight loss and really struggled. I decided to try keto for something other than weight loss and was elated and shocked by the hunger suppression/satiation.

I don't have to keep strict keto macro ratios any longer but I'm pretty darn cautious about having too many lower fat days in a row. I guess most find satiety with protein. I've run that route. I keep fat high.
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I thought of this post last night when suddenly I was TOTALLY full, at the end of my dinner. The type of "full" that even the temptation of a favourite nibble wouldn't have broken. So Yeah! I get what you are saying. :)
  • char1iej
    char1iej Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My parents always told me to clean my plate. For most of my life, that's what I've done -- no matter the size or portions on the plate. For the first time in many years, I had the same sensation last week. I pushed my plate back and said, "I'm done." Almost half the meal I ordered (eating lunch with a friend) was still on the plate. I admit, it was WEIRD. I felt compelled to eat more, but decided this was a good sign.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who actually gave this question, or situation, some thought. :blush:
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Thought about this last night when we went to a Japanese hibachi place for my son's birthday. He wants to go there every year. The last time I went, I had been on a calorie-focused (not keto, just lower calorie) program and had ordered steamed shellfish and vegetables and remember being downright hangry by the time they finally brought it out, with everyone else around me enjoying fried rice and everything else. This time, I honestly didn't care or get annoyed when they brought out my steamed salmon and vegetables a half hour after everyone was eating their hibachi dinner. Didn't have food envy or hunger. Did not have or want birthday cake. Last year, I just had to have a little bite and this time did not even want it. This is why I do keto!!
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I felt it too, yesterday. I made 4 eggs (deviled) and half of avocado for breakfast and stopped at 2 eggs and a quarter avocado. And I didn't have a desire to eat anything for the rest of the day.
  • flitabout38
    flitabout38 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Now that I am keto and have been for several month I normally eat everything on my plate. That said I also put way less on my plate to start with because I already know I can't eat nearly as much!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Another little sign people often ignore is that 'pause and sigh' when your body is actually telling you enough. It often comes before that 'full' feeling, but most people just dig back in and eat more till they are stuffed. It's easier to note it if you are mindfully eating and not distracted with TV or other things at the dinner table.
    Hara hachi bu. "Eating until 80% full"
    Not Overeating
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Good point @canadjineh, that does happen and it's a great reminder to listen to your body.

I've only been eating keto for a couple+ weeks and i've gotten this full sensation quite a bit. I average around 1200 calories now, but prior to Keto 1200 calories would make me feel like i was starving!

I actually forgot to eat lunch today around noon, and ate it a couple hours later even though i wasn't really hungry. That never happened before. I can see why people turn to IF naturally with this way of eating.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    My switch is still broken. I've done low carb high fat and keto before and again most recently lost over 40 lbs and am trying out maintenance....again. I have found that I very rarely will experience a sensation of fullness and a switch to stop. Mostly, I think that switch is mental when I haven't logged my food, and I'm guessing at what my total cals and macros are for the day. I want my switch to work.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I've gotten the full sensation too! Usually what comes to my mind is "oh my gosh" all this chewing is killing me. LOL.....
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    My switch is still broken. I've done low carb high fat and keto before and again most recently lost over 40 lbs and am trying out maintenance....again. I have found that I very rarely will experience a sensation of fullness and a switch to stop. Mostly, I think that switch is mental when I haven't logged my food, and I'm guessing at what my total cals and macros are for the day. I want my switch to work.

You and me both, hon. When I was keto for that 1.5 years, my switch started working again for exactly 3 days and then broke again. Ugh!!!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    This might be unpopular to some for any number of reasons but I sometimes find when the macro "I'm full" switch does not work for me...and sometimes it does not...VOLUME works. There are days I just seem to need a little volume in my diet. Volume is more readily accommodated with a full cup serving of non-fat (yes, I said non fat cuz calories) plain Greek Yogurt versus a one inch cube of cheese for the same amount of calories. OR a big bowl full of salad vegetables rather than a little piece of fatty steak...
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    When I'm having a hungry day I totally go for several cups of lettuce with some meat and either dressing or cottage cheese. Sometimes a huge bowl of food is just necessary for my sanity.
  • flitabout38
    flitabout38 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    This might be unpopular to some for any number of reasons but I sometimes find when the macro "I'm full" switch does not work for me...and sometimes it does not...VOLUME works. There are days I just seem to need a little volume in my diet. Volume is more readily accommodated with a full cup serving of non-fat (yes, I said non fat cuz calories) plain Greek Yogurt versus a one inch cube of cheese for the same amount of calories. OR a big bowl full of salad vegetables rather than a little piece of fatty steak...

Yes sometimes you need to hit that stretch receptor to get that switch to work! Sometimes it's that I do need extra calories It might be because I am woman! LOL!