Eating "on the road".

Options
Salkeela
Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
edited April 2018 in Social Groups
Suggestions for travel food please. :)

Next week I'm to be away for a few days - I'm staying in a self-catering cottage with 3 others, whilst on a dog-training course. Lunches of "Soup and a Roll" are going to be provided along with buns at break times. LOL

Now the buns and chocolatey nibbles are no problem for me to resist - I've skipped them for years as I'm both gluten and chocolate intolerant.

However I want to make myself some LCHF meals and snacks to bring with me.

So far I've thought the following could be prepared this week and stored/frozen in readiness. Other suggestions welcomed:

Bacon wrapped burgers
Keto muffins (the ones made in a mug)
Egg and bacon muffin bites
Cheesy keto crackers

I can also bring cold cooked meats, nuts, veggies, and maybe some dips. I'm thinking out loud here really, but I guess I'm trying to find a way to make my diet EASY when we are away. Rather than cooking, I want to just pull out "something I prepared earlier". This could either be my whole meal or added to whatever-else is provided, that is suitable.

Thank you in anticipation of a few ideas. xx

Replies

• Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I am about to go on a trip for four days for work and packed jerky, small packs of nuts, dried seaweed, small individually wrapped Atkins treats in case I’m craving something sweet. I always go for salad with chicken and put on my own olive oil/lemon juice dressing to avoid hidden sugars. I’ve made these keto sausage egg biscuits when i have had a kitchen but usually just order two eggs scrambled with cheese and veggies at thebhotel and sometimes ask for “half cheese.” I worry about added calories and hidden sugar in restaurant food so usually try to leave the table slightly hungry or at least not feeling stuffed. I will eat a bun less turkey burger with cheese, again, looking to slightly cut down on the calories that a restaurant would add.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs are good. As are Hamburger patties you precook. Be careful with jerky you don’t make yourself. It will no doubt have sugars. Pepperoni is good. Precook some chicken breasts. Make some mayo to take with and you could have both egg and chicken salad.
  • Salkeela
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Ooo yes how could I have forgotten hard boiled eggs :smile:
    And good point about the jerky. Thanks.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    My mom likes those laughing cow cheese triangles. Also, pork rinds. Other than that it seems like you've got it pretty well covered!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    PLUS all your cottage-mates will be sooooo jealous ;)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'd say you have it well covered with your list and suggestions. Keep in mind the beauty of lchf for weight loss is a lack of chronic hunger and the ability to not be eating all the time. But yes I do understand you'll be there a few days and want to stay on track.Good to plan ahead. Have fun and learn lots!
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I didn't see pork rinds in your list. Easy satisfying snack.
  • Salkeela
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Pork rinds... good call, and should keep salt levels up too as presumably they are salted. Will look for some before I go. Thanks. :smile:

In other news I spent this morning cooking. In the freezer, ready to travel, I now have:

Egg muffins,
    Bacon wrapped burgers (snack size) and
    Cooked chicken thighs (with skin).

I'm also going to pack:

sliced meats
    Philly cheese
    eggs
    salad greens, tomatoes, scallions, cucumber etc.
    mayonnaise
    butter
    Brazil nuts
    milk (cos I still like it in my tea)
    coffee & tea
    cream
    chia seeds
    & some blue berries

Oh and pork rinds if I can find them.

This is the first time I've planned eating away, and it seems very weird not to be packing bread and breakfast cereals. VERY.
  • Salkeela
    Options
    @kpk54 Yes, interesting you should mention it. I have over the past couple of days had a distinct ramping down of my appetite, which is marvellous.
  • dangerousdashie
    dangerousdashie Posts: 119 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    When I’m at a hotel, I keep lettuce wrap ingredients in the fridge and salad ingredients:

Cold Cuts
    Romain Lettuce
    Avocado
    Primal Kitchen Mayo/Mustard
    PB or AB
    Spinach
    Evoo & lemon
    Sea Salt

I recently saw a recipe for making copycat Complete Cookies. You could make those with keto friendly protein and sweetener. And then smear with butter/palm oil for fat.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Tuna packets, mayo and spices for tuna salad (easy to pick up in a pinch)

I make soups in large quantities and freeze it in individual portions for future use. It’s an easy way to cook once and eat for a week.

If you have room in your carb budget for plain Greek yogurt, mixing a cup of that with a scoop of protein powder makes for a quick meal or snack, keeps me full for hours. And easy to pick up the yogurt and protein powder at the store in a pinch.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    And, great job planning ahead! It makes me so happy to see posts like this, people finding ways to make their plan work. (So much better than letting it be an excuse to go off-plan, and whine about how hard it is to get back on track!!)
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    I'm heading out on vacation next week and I'm planning to bring along in the car: jerky, pork rinds, low carb protein bars, nuts. We're renting a cottage and luckily I'll be able to buy my normal foods I eat. Now my only problem I foresee is that I'm heading home to Canada and it will be very hard not to buy timbits and all the other treats you just can't get in the U.S. (someone say Caramilk bars?) :)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    maple cookies - things you just can't get in the usa
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This is when I pack the kirkland "quest" bars. YMMV. Have a great time!