Zero-Calorie Artificial Sweeteners Linked To Diabetes, Obesity, Just Like Sugar: Study

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
https://www.medicaldaily.com/zero-calorie-artificial-sweeteners-linked-diabetes-obesity-just-sugar-study-423703

Zero-Calorie Artificial Sweeteners Linked To Diabetes, Obesity, Just Like Sugar: Study

I think I'm not surprised (if true)?

Replies

• cricketpower
    cricketpower Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Dr. Perlmutter has a lot of articles on his site related to artificial sweeteners, for those who are interested. This ^ and more, including the effect that they have on our microbiome and brain health.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    It is definitely true. I didn't realize at first because I wasn't a huge fan of artificial sweeteners. I only consumed about 3 packets of stevia a day - no other artificial stuff. I couldn't figure out why my blood sugar was out of control, until I stopped using them.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    It is definitely true. I didn't realize at first because I wasn't a huge fan of artificial sweeteners. I only consumed about 3 packets of stevia a day - no other artificial stuff. I couldn't figure out why my blood sugar was out of control, until I stopped using them.

You test your blood sugar/glucose regularly and stevia spikes it?
  • flitabout38
    flitabout38 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    One way that they affect your body is that when you taste sweet anything your body responds by pumping out insulin. Insulin the fat storage hormone! While these sweeteners don't raise the blood glucose level in and of themselves just the sweet taste is enough to drive the insulin up and of course the BG levels down, which then makes you hungry and crave more sweet to get that BG up and stable again. I have really been working on myself to get them out of my diet. But sometimes you just want a little chocolate! So if I am going to do it I make sure I add only a small amount of the sweet thing and only with a meal. It's the only thing I have found that might mitigate the insulin spike that comes with the fake sweet.
    Now that I am actively limiting my intake I am losing a bit fast and my sweet cravings are also slowly going away.