Probably a stupid question about fat intake

Options
flitabout38
flitabout38 Posts: 48 Member
edited April 2018 in Social Groups
So I am having a bit of confusion regarding fat, and how much is too much. Is there a point where you are just burning dietary fat rather than body fat? I realize that calories don't matter as much on keto, but yes I still watch them just not in the same way I really try to hit at least 2200 a day when I eat because of the way I like to fast. I can end up with upwards of 80% fat on feeding days. Is this going to be to much or should I just not worry about it? Also I haven't stalled on weight loss it's just more of a question with my current fat consumption will it become an issue.

Replies

• tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    from everything i have seen and read 80% is pretty good , so you are doing great.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    So I am having a bit of confusion regarding fat, and how much is too much. Is there a point where you are just burning dietary fat rather than body fat? I realize that calories don't matter as much on keto, but yes I still watch them just not in the same way I really try to hit at least 2200 a day when I eat because of the way I like to fast. I can end up with upwards of 80% fat on feeding days. Is this going to be to much or should I just not worry about it? Also I haven't stalled on weight loss it's just more of a question with my current fat consumption will it become an issue.

Technically too much would be the amount that puts you over your TDEE for maintenance or deficit calories for weight loss aka calories. It could also be too much if not allowing you to get adequate protein for health. The recommendations vary greatly for how much protein one needs. I've seen everything from .36 grams per pound of ideal weight (being adequate to keep 97% of the population healthy per the RDI) to most often .6-1.0 grams of protein per pound of ideal weight. A part of what drives the range is how active you are, how far you are from ideal body weight and/or amount lean body mass in general.

As an opinion-you probably need to be getting more protein unless you are eating Medically Therapeutic Ketogenic for a medical disorder or perhaps have a medical condition where you are to limit protein (such as kidney disease).

There are numerous keto calculators on line. I'll recommend you try a few and determine what the average protein suggested is. I have no preference in calculators.
  • primalpam
    primalpam Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Agree. Decrease fat, increase protein.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Right.

You should stay under carbs. Get enough protein. Enough protein is essential to health. Then the rest of your calories come from fat. Use the keto calcs to find a good protein range. Though I feel like their minimums are too low for anyone. More protein is better. Losing too much muscle isn't good.
  • flitabout38
    Options
    Protein and carbs are the easy part. I have just been trying to not reduce my BMR (I understand some is to be expected with less of me) to much and I end up trying to make up the caloric difference with fat. I also have a tendency since doing keto to just not want to eat at all. Which is part of the reason I try to pack in more calories on feeding days.
  • flitabout38
    Options
    Thank you awesome video!!!!