MCT Oil & Keto?

Options
xMikeh
xMikeh Posts: 12 Member
So I read something about some people taking MCT Oil to fill calories and fat, and truth be told that's a bit of where I'm struggling at is getting those final calories. I usually end every day around 100g of fat/protein but usually a great deal below my calories.

AS for the oil I read 50/50 some people think it works some think it doesn't. I have the 1000mg capsules but questioning if I should start taking them or not.

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I mean, if you've already purchased the caps, then ya, use 'em. But once they're gone, is the question do you "need" them, or "should" you have them? IMO, no. Plus, like fish oil, I suspect liquid would be the better buy vs. caps.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I was using MCT Oil the last 4-5 months I ate keto to the tune of almost 500 caloies per day. It provided the fat I wished to get in my diet but no other benefit that I could tell.

The caps you have are what? About 25 calories and 3 grams of fat? Since you have them you might as well take them. If you plan on taking multiple caps just be careful to build up the amount slowly. They can be fairly disruptive to the digestive tract. That is probably on the label somewhere.

I no longer use it but still eat high fat. Nuts, seeds, avocados, butter. If you like fat in meat, buy the fatty cuts. 80/20 beef versus 90/10. Pork butt versus loin or tenderloin. Chicken thighs and legs versus breasts.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I found mct oil helpful during the fat adaptation period, the first few months of keto. I feel like it helped me feel more full and helped train my body to recognize fat as fuel. Once I was fat adapted, I cut out the added fat in my diet so that I would burn bodyfat for fuel.

I feel like high fat is great for the first few months but once you've been doing Keto for a while it's better to chill on the dietary fats (if weightloss is your goal).
  • flitabout38
    flitabout38 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    From testing (I was experimenting) my ketones and I did notice a substantially rise when I use MCT oil. But I also got the same rise from plain coconut oil. I will add more fat to keep my calories up when needed. The ketones produced are where the actual energy comes from, and I can get the same bump in energy tweaking my macros to raise my ketone levels. So are they necessary? No can they be helpful on a busy day? Absolutely! But that is my experience and not an absolute for everybody.
  • knotgood77
    knotgood77 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have been using it in my coffee now, and then. Only in the morning, and only before a workout of some variety. I would not use it at the end of the day to try, and hit perfect macros. i
    It does come with some fast energy for me that would disrupt my sleep patterns, I think.