Weekly Post - 23.04.18 - 29.04.18

Options
jknight001
jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
Welcome to a new week 5:2ers! Let's make it our best one yet.

Replies

• Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon all!
    Guess who is doing 5:2 this week!? Meeee! BF and I are doing it together. He has been struggling with a bit of a gain and I am always looking to shake things up. Today and Thursday are our days. I am going to be at around 600 or so. I am cool with that.
    Had a great weekend. The weather is finally cooperating here! Been in the 60's and sunny. Woo hoo!
    That movie sounds really good @jknight001 thanks for mentioning!
    See you all soon. :#
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    A light day here too! Concentrating on veggies and protein. My also be closer to 600 so that I can get enough protein in.

So, I’ve been doing the weight loss/ maintain weight loss thing for a year now. Time is funny, it took forever to get here but the time also flew by.

I’ll probably be around the 5:2 board til they turn out the lights, tho, because my slow metabolism at this age means too few calories to enjoy anything unless I 5:2 hack it. Maybe someday the weight training could help, but for now it is 5:2 and still pretty restrictive calories on the other days. The one thing I am committed to is not gaining an ounce above BMI normal ever again. (A scant few pounds above current weight.) So, I could stand to lose a few more pounds as a buffer. Thus I consider myself at maintenance but would not mind dropping 5 more pounds.

Well, a good day to all!

• jknight001
    Options
    Light day for me too. First of the week. Been a busy day so it is flying by. Looking forward to breakfast in the morning!

@Meghan509 Hope your week of 5:2 goes well.

@ryenday - Congrats on your first year! The longer you are successful the greater the chance you will remain successful. You inspire me.
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,554 Member
    Options
    Hey, all! I am in the midst of a little personal health scare. I noticed that I am developing a crease in my earlobe (indicative of heart disease) and I am not healing as fast (indicative of diabetes) and I can feel my blood pressure is high and can feel my blood sugar up there, too. I also noticed that I am sleeping on my right side instead of my left, like I usually do. This is also indicative of heart disease. (Not everyone that sleeps on their right side has heart disease, but people that have heart disease are more likely to sleep on their right side.) The final thing that got to me was that I am pretty sure that my vision has changed in the last couple of months, which is a heart/diabetes thing, too. It all kind of came together this weekend. SO, I am really back on the wagon! I have 40 pounds to lose, 20 to no longer be obese, about 25% of my starting weight. Pray for me. Seriously. Don't know how else I can do this!
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Fasting tomorrow, I was able to fast last week and had a small success in the scale.
    Hoping to stay consistent.

Kate- definitely see a Doctor, I prefer my right side and have the earlobe crease and today at my doctors visit my BP was 100/60 (healthy) so I’m telling you for peace of mind see a Dr.

Jknight-great job in your light day!

Ryen-you’re an inspiration and is seems like 5:2 is a good way to maintain for life.

Meghan-good luck this week and that’s cool you’ll have your BF along side. It always seems easier with a partner.
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Hi all, ok @chiccam ... your post is exactly what I was going to say to everyone .... so ^^^^^^DITTO above!!!

Really hoping I stay good today... my food is always good but I still have the problem of treats added in!!

Fasting today!
  • ryenday
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @KateNkognito some of what you describe can be attributable to stress, too. So I also recommend getting a physical.

Regardless of the results of a physical, tho, you already stated your goals, SO now to figure out your best course of action.

Many, Many people swear by the ‘do one thing’ or ‘just do today’ mentality. They get overwhelmed and stressed by the big picture but can much more easily commit to a small but significant change and build to others as they build confidence in themselves. Does that sound like you? If yes, considering this is the 5:2 board, why not commit to a light day. If my schedule allows, I’ll do it with you. Any time that day you feel like going off the rails, come here first and post about it. That might be all the incentive you need to get the first day done. That one step is how it starts.

I’m not like that, tho. I back out of little commitments way too easily. I had to slam the door on my eating and (lack of) fitness habits and dive right into the deep end. If this is more like you, then my advice is to set up medium range goals. Like getting out of the obese range. Then allowing a time (two weeks or a month) break at MAINTENANCE eating levels before diving right back in. Also, the absolute best piece of advice I ever got here in MFP follows:

NEVER TWO DAYS IN A ROW!

Because we are all human. Slip ups (and cake) happen! That’s ok. Just say to yourself ‘well no problem. Just NEVER TWO DAYS IN A ROW.’ That allowed me to forgive myself human imperfection and recommit without guilt. Maybe it will help you too.

I don’t pray (no offense intended to those who do) but I’ll support you and send good thoughts your direction. I think you can do this. Anyone with your wonderful sense of humor has what it takes, imo. And we are all here for you!

Rye
  • sjgold123
    sjgold123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi all, just checking in... been out on the bike lots but also feeling hungry but prob due to being so busy and tired. Kate hope you've made the dr appointment..
    Good luck all x
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,554 Member
    Options
    Hey, all! Thanks for the inspiration! I went to the eye doctor. Does that count? LOL
    I don't do doctors. (Please don't hate me!) I know my blood pressure, I can feel my blood sugar, and I don't give a hoot about my cholesterol. For me it was just a perfect storm that really came together this weekend and re-motivated me. I haven't been healthy in a long time, but it finally hit me just how unhealthy I have become.
    Today was a fast day, a little higher than I would usually do, but I will take it. :smile:
    I hope you all have a great week! Happy fasting!
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    Sounds like everyone is doing pretty good.
    Few things to chime in about lol -
    @ryenday what amazing progress you have made! You look awesome.
    @KateNkognito agree with others about popping in to see a Dr. Another idea is to pick up a blood pressure cuff so you can monitor yourself at home. For heart related issues I am told that we should try and keep salt intake as low as possible. Exercise, even if just 20 minutes a day and eating well with lots of fiber and fruits and veggies will help too. You got this!
    Things are good here. Monday's light day was good. Planning another tomorrow. Been mixing up my cardio too for shaking things up.
    Have a good day and see you all soon. :)
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    OK... first off, why won’t mfp let us press more than one ‘emotion’ response?? For ryenday’s post I want to press woohoo! And like! And inspiring!! My goodness awesome achievement indeed!!! {{applause}} ........... (inspiring won) ;)

Kate, I hear ya on the dr thing...! But I also agree with Meghan on the sodium! Look at labels for sodium counts and cut it down, you’ll feel better from just that alone...

Taking out some of my chicken soup from the freezer for my dinner tonight and just had 20 grams of oatmeal with a little almond milk... fast day here we go!! I wasn’t successful after all yesterday.

It’s very warm here this week... 14-17C!! Crazy day for soup! I also need to review the clothes situation.... suns out guns out? Such a silly saying!

Happy Wednesday! Anyone else fasting today?
  • jknight001
    Options
    @ryenday Loved your post! Especially liked the no two days in a row. I can do that and I think it can help break that downward spiral of a craving. Although I will have to broaden it beyond specific items. I know myself well enough to know I could binge on cake one day and cookies the next and not consider it two days in a row. :D

@KateNkognito - A little bit of a reality check for you. I would be willing to bet that no one can accurately predict their blood sugar level by feeling it. High blood sugar is like taking sand paper and rubbing it against the insides of your blood vessels. Causes all sorts of ugly problems and eventually death. I am not trying to be mean but to wake you up to your future. I know you have kids. I am sure you want to live as long as possible to enjoy them as long as possible. I know you don't do doctors but they can help us reach those life goals in a healthy way. They are a gift of wisdom to us from God. That is why we are encouraging you to get yourself checked. You don't have to do what the doctor says but at least you will know what you are or are not dealing with. Having a check-up now could be the difference between attending a wedding or graduation alive and healthy or not later. <3
  • ryenday
    Options
    Light day for me again today. I didn’t prep anything so lots of oatmeal and frozen veg today.
  • jknight001
    Options
    Me too! Light day. Keeping busy so the day goes by fast. No pun intended.
  • sjgold123
    sjgold123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Ryenday your progress is really inspiring, you look great!
    I'm yo - yoing this week with sweet cravings. I think i'm finding it harder as i get to my goal. I need to follow the never 2 day rule as i had a awards eve for a young person yesterday and gave in to chocolate cake which i new was going to tempt me so i saved 500 cals but the taste of the sweet stuff has made me be a rebel today. I had a sod it approach as i made a light quiche but still had a large slice of full fat for the rest of the family. Then this eve had chocolate. I feel in a bingy mood and need to snap out of it tomorrow! I also need to up my exercise again. Anyway i thought if i posted on here it would give me the kick i need to stay focused! Bye for now
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your woes Kate. I was in the same boat...not the ear creasing or sleeping on the right side. I had to look those up. Made me paranoid, which is how I'm sure it happened with you. We grab onto these things sometimes and let the tail wag the dog. Good luck with everything.

Glad to hear that others are doing well... HOLY TOMATOES @ryenday !! Some truly inspiring people in this group.

Was able to get a long fast done earlier in the week. Haven't eaten today....I might try to get in a 2nd.

Have a good weekend everyone.
  • jknight001
    Options
    @Meghan509 - Celebrating with you!!! What a great wy to go into you vacation. Enjoy the day!