New to Keto

Options
Hi everyone! I'm new to keto currently in my first week (day 4.) So far I have been doing very well sticking to high fat, low carbs. I have around 55 lbs to lose and would love some friends to turn to and share meals, tips, and any random thoughts. I do not have a social circle where I live beside husband even after 4 years. Making friends as an adult is hard! Anyway, look forward to hearing from anyone who'd like to add me and help me on my keto journey.

Replies

• chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Hi, if you would like to, why not join the April Challenge in the announcements section? It's a weekly, usually on Sunday, weigh in and super supportive. We do the challenge every month.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I accept all friend requests, but I'm generally full of inappropriate humor, so if you decide to be my friend, that's on you.

:smile:

the best way I have found to make friends as an adult is...

take a dance class - I don't know why dance people are so chatty and friendly, but I'm a terrible dancer and yet they are always nice and supportive...fyi, a lot of bars offer these for free, such as line dancing or salsa dancing or bellydancing, or whatever...

go to wine/food events...again, not sure why that is such a thing full of friendly people, but it has been my experience that it is...maybe because food is just delicious and attracts friendly people...

take a class at a community college...and tutor if you are good at that class...quite a few of my friends are from helping them out with math, which for whatever reason, I'm really good at and many people are not...this is probably the most expensive option, but it would be fun if you are not working on a degree and maybe want to take fun classes like Art or Statistics or Critical Thinking or Psychology...
  • pendennis
    pendennis Posts: 117 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I've been keto since January. I'm feeling so much better. Please feel free to friend me
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Welcome @mx_mommy ! Looks like you've done pretty well on your version of keto (lazy or not, that's not a term I would give anyone changing the way they eat! It's not lazy)! I friended you, so if you ever wanna talk keto, I'm available. ^_^
  • aluhsin
    aluhsin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I sent you a friend request!
  • mx_mommy
    mx_mommy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you xDaniDragonflyx and aluhsin! I don't know how to move around on these boards yet! So forgive me if I miss messages! Thanks so much for the friend requests! Now I'm horrified that people can see what's on my diary of food! LMAO Those DAMN mini Cadbury eggs!!!!! ha ha
  • mx_mommy
    Options
    If anyone wants to follow me on Instagram? I'm @keto.artist there! :) I follow TONS of people on there, and have quite a few followers. It REALY helps me to see other people's plates of food and what they're buying and cooking. It also really helps motivate me seeing before and after photos! Guess as an artist, the visual is HUGE for me! lol
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    Hello. I've only been doing this keto thing for about 3 weeks now. I broke down and bought the premium version of MFP so that I could track my macros better. I've lost almost 13 lbs in 3 weeks. I'm excited and oh so happy that I'm not STARVING all of the time! Thanks for letting me join your group! I'm looking forward to hearing all of your stories about weight loss this way!
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    @mx_mommy Just requested a follow on IG. My ID is the same as on here. :smile:

@Mrs_Hoffer I upgraded to premium of MFP too! Congrats on all the weight loss! I've lost 20 lbs in less than 2 months myself. I Love this 'diet' as well, BECAUSE I'm not always starving. :smile: I'll add you as a friend right after this post so we can share food diaries and talk keto! ^_^
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    My diary is open to all.
  • mx_mommy
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Had a rough day. A dear friend passed away Sunday and her funeral was today. I stayed for the luncheon and all they had that was Keto was the meat in the sandwiches (and butter), dill pickles and black olives. So yeah, I didn't want to be "picky" or make a scene so I ate the foods they had for us. Ham sandwich, potato salad, baked beans, pickles, olives (I did skip the potato chips) and cake. I did have coffee with creamer and Splenda. I don't feel bad eating the food, because it was in her honor. I wouldn't have wanted her family or friends to not understand an empty plate or tossing the bun. :/
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    mx_mommy wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. Had a rough day. A dear friend passed away Sunday and her funeral was today. I stayed for the luncheon and all they had that was Keto was the meat in the sandwiches (and butter), dill pickles and black olives. So yeah, I didn't want to be "picky" or make a scene so I ate the foods they had for us. Ham sandwich, potato salad, baked beans, pickles, olives (I did skip the potato chips) and cake. I did have coffee with creamer and Splenda. I don't feel bad eating the food, because it was in her honor. I wouldn't have wanted her family or friends to not understand an empty plate or tossing the bun. :/

I'm so very sorry about the loss of your dear friend.

I suspect that at events others pay much less attention to what we do or do not eat than we think they do.
  • jenham3
    jenham3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    mx_mommy I sent an IG follow request. I'm new to keto...3 weeks and 9 lbs. I seem to be stuck right now.
  • Kirstyjem
    Kirstyjem Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Newish to keto. Welcome any friend requests! Always need inspiration and motivation :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @mx_mommy

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. All the hugs!

@jenham3

Don't forget that after the initial stored water dumping that naturally occurs with keto, the body sometimes needs weeks 3-6 to balance that out and burn all the fat cells (filling them with water until it's ready to believe you're sticking with this plan!).

Take measurements and pictures. They're crucial when the scale starts playing games with you. When the scale didn't move, my tape measure did - and vice versa!