Do people notice your gains/losses?

Options
Over the course of a year, I slowly put on about 7 lbs. I recently lost 10 lbs total within about 2.5 months.

Very few people seem to have noticed! I guess it's good that the weight gain wasn't obvious, but I am in my "skinny clothes" and at the lowest weight I've been at in a few years and in the past when I was this low, I got a lot of, "you're looking good..."

I thought I'd ask here because I know it's a pretty small range of pounds. However, it's the difference between a size 6 and 4 on me. I know, I am being vain! But just wondered if anyone else was in the same boat!

Replies

• Urbancowbarn
    Urbancowbarn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! I’ve lost 17lbs since last May and dropped 2 sizes. Very few people have mentioned it, even though it’s noticeable. I think it’s because it’s no longer PC to comment on someone’s weight, as if saying you look great might be taken as you looked horrible before the weight loss. I wouldn’t mind more compliments personally. It took a lot of hard work. :D
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I think most people don't notice small changes in weight (5-15lbs) that most of us are going for. You really can't tell too much with that weight change clothed. It's when you see the difference is say a bikini that it's really noticeable.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    No one really notices when I gain while I'm bulking. But my mom recently bought me some clothes in my "usual" size, but was surprised when they didn't fit haha.

They do notice when I get really lean, especially during the summer where it is more noticeable with less clothes/bikinis.
  • FormerlyWallyAmadeus
    FormerlyWallyAmadeus Posts: 35 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    No. I gain and lose first in my belly, and since I tend to dress very comfortably, it isn't noticeable.
  • io8785a
    io8785a Posts: 35 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    My girlfriend and parents have noticed, but my friends haven’t really commented on it. It’s only after I show them pictures at my heaviest wait they go “oh wow you did lose weight!”.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I have had several people notice. I think it's partially because the exercise (weights/resistance) has caused my body fat to drop. I've lost 20-21lbs so far and I feel so much better for it.
  • xelsoo
    xelsoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I find that my family usually notices it but I live abroad so they will see me once every couple of months. People that I see everyday don't seem to notice the 6-7 lbs difference. When I originally lost most of my chunky weight and my face got leaner it was more obvious, as it was right in front of them haha.
  • NelliR86
    NelliR86 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    People notice the gain, (and tell me :neutral:) but not the losses which is sad because I’m proud of myself lol.
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 20 lbs in 6 months. Only a couple people have noticed.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I tend to cover my weight when it's up, and the only people who end up seeing the rest of me are my racing buddies when we're all wearing our compression tops/pants under our suits (which don't leave much to the imagination!).

If I lose enough, then yes, I'll get some comments, but they're smart enough not to comment on the gains LOL!

I may get some comments when I finally start getting closer to my goal, but my fat is always worst around my belly/love handles, so I tend to keep them covered if I can as those won't go away until I'm really close to my goal composition.
  • gutsnglory6
    gutsnglory6 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I lost about 30 pounds a while back, going from the low end of an overweight BMI to the mid-range of normal.
    I found that people didn’t really notice the loss until I was close to my goal. I’m also tall (5’9”) so I think that makes the loss a bit less dramatic.
    Towards the end of things, people started to ask if I’d lost weight - but I also found that MONTHS later people who I saw every day started to notice for the first time that I was looking lighter. So for those looking for outside validation - sometimes it takes a while.
    Personally, I’m on the shy side of things and would rather people don’t notice or ask.
  • smcconnaughys
    smcconnaughys Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with my weight for years. I was diagnosed with some health problems, I got those under control and dropped down to my ideal weight for three years. I felt great, healthier too. At that point all I heard was I looked too thin, I lost too much weight. But I was at my healthy weight... Then I had to go on medication (corticosteroids) to control my health problems, and I gained 20 pounds. Now I hear I look fine. It sucks because, the medication not only has caused weight gain but psychological issues too. I was so down because I finally got to my ideal weight... But I am slowly coming off of my medication. I've done research on why my medication causes weight gain. I have cut back on sugar by 50%, seriously watching what I eat, and drinking lots of water. I haven't been exercising like I would like too, just because I do not want to induce a flare up in my health problem... But, I'm glad to say I've lost 6 pounds while being on the medication, which I thought was impossible.
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have recently put on more muscle. People noticed before I did. My mom says "why do you want those muscles?" and "your 48, it is really time for you to slow down your workouts". My gym buddies say " you are really filling out", I like my gym buddies comments better-- they get it!