Snow

Options
fdhunt1
fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
Anyone else sick of the snow? So far thus April 34.5" with another 5"-8" coming on Wednesday. ENOUGH ALREADY!

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I hear you. We have already had a few cm this morning and are supposed to get 10-20 cm in total by tomorrow. Everything is white again. It is supposed to warm up to seasonal by the end of the week so this new snow shouldn't last

Not that it was melted before. All the fields still have a few inches of snow and on the north sides of hills and buildings, there is well over a foot of snow left.

... And soccer season is supposed to start next week! LOL :D It is pretty normal to get a bit of snow at some point in the early soccer season but I am doubtful that the fields will be snow free before May.

ETA at least the trees are not leafing out yet, or even really budding out, because all of this snow would crack branches.

Our last summer was hot... This is the yang to that yang. ;)
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    We had 17" over the weekend and beat the record. BUT...I see high 50's in the forecast next week (fingers crossed). I am dying to get outside and start jogging!!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    No snow where I live, but I am sick of it getting cold. This late in the year, I shouldn't be losing plants in my garden from frost.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    No snow where I live, but I am sick of it getting cold. This late in the year, I shouldn't be losing plants in my garden from frost.

My crocuses aren't even up yet!

Our last frost free day is usually mid May - 1 month to go until I can leave annuals out. Hopefully sooner.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    News last night mentioned that we are at 152% of snowpack and they've taken on 40 extra firefighters to fill sandbags and build up edges of streambanks that they feel will be a problem in the next couple weeks when the melt really starts to happen in the high country. It's been up as high as 18C within the past week, but now we've had rain and lows of 4C (so that means snow again in the mountains above us). We just got our local bridge rebuilt after it was washed out last June from floods. Crossing my fingers for NO emergency site security jobs this spring.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Crocuses, daffodils, and grapes hyacinth - all are blooming here...irises, monkey grass, peonies, and hosta are starting to peek up their greenery...it's been kind of a cold wet spring, but we have had a few nice days and at least I don't have snow!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Friday, we got up to 82F. Saturday, we had freezing rain and then snow. The weather here is normally back and forth in spring, but it seems like the cold and hot days are more extreme than most years.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Same ol' same ol' in North Carolina. Our last frost day is typically considered to be 4/15. We haven't had frost temps at night but have been pretty darn close. I'm guessing to be a couple hours south of @tcunbeliever. My peonies are ready to bloom and my irises are mostly 12 inches high though I'm not seeing any signs of buds/blossoms. The liriope was chopped down this year by the landscaping crew and is already about 8". Asiatic lilies seem a little stunted. Seeds of radishes, spinach, carrots, beets, kale, sweet peas got planted a bit late so I hope they make it through the heat about to arrive. Tomato and peppers are in the ground and have made it so far. I picked up the remainder of seed (bush beans, pole beans, cucs, pickling cucs, cantaloupe, zucchini, watermelon) and will plant them in a day or two.

I brought some more tropical plants indoors last year and nursed them through the winter then set the out a couple weeks ago. I've had several nights I needed to collect them into 1 spot and cover them but they've made it so far.

New to me this year are tulips (already in bloom), rannunculas (peeking out of the ground) and anemones (no sign of life yet). I love spring! Hang on. Summer is on it's way.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    I haven't even started gardening yet, did some weed pulling and mulching...I have purple carrot seeds to plant, but last year everything died in the heat and no rain, so I'm not sure how much I'm going to plant this year...the catnip, and lemon balm are doing great, and the sage is back but looking a bit peaked...I have one lone strawberry plant still struggling...all the other herbs appear to have died for good last summer...I may just go for grapes or red/black berries so that I can not have to replant so much every year.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Crocuses, daffodils, and grapes hyacinth - all are blooming here...irises, monkey grass, peonies, and hosta are starting to peek up their greenery...it's been kind of a cold wet spring, but we have had a few nice days and at least I don't have snow!
    Bragger.... :D:D
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    No snow here either, but dang cold! I hate spring because it is so unpredictable. One day it'll be 71, the next 41. SMH... I just want Mother Earth to figure it out already
  • nvmomketo
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Bragger.... :D:D

Yeah! :tongue:
    LOL
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    No snow here either, but dang cold! I hate spring because it is so unpredictable. One day it'll be 71, the next 41. SMH... I just want Mother Earth to figure it out already

We have the same deal going. 30s-snow. Next 2 days: 60, then 80. Tomorrow-frickin 40s! My oldest daughter has an evening soccer game. I'm gonna become a walking popsickle. I get what's called Raynaud's Phenomenon. In response to cold, I do not tolerate it well, and then my fingers and toes loose circulation to the point they become white with blue nails and go numb. Winter sucks, and it needs to stop being dramatic and finally just die!
  • heatherrk45
    heatherrk45 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    We don't have snow, but the rain won't stop. I'm so sick of it, I want some SUN. Welcome to the Northwest..lol
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I understand most are ready for spring to get here, but it really could be worse.....Northwest Oklahoma has been on fire for over a week because it is so dry there. Many, many homes and livestock lost to fire. Seems like there is sometimes no happy medium between too much and not enough though....drought or flooding.....Darn it!
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    It's melting! Mellllting! :)
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    I had a single lone tulip bloom in my garden. I don't even know where it came from, but it's super pretty. I may need to plant some tulips.
  • nvmomketo
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I had a single lone tulip bloom in my garden. I don't even know where it came from, but it's super pretty. I may need to plant some tulips.

I actually have a few poking out of the ground now... up against the south facing wall of a reflective colour. LOL Within a month I should have tulips! :)
  • UNO77
    UNO77 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    woke up to more snow today - but by this afternoon it is all gone except where shadows fall in some spots.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I missed this thread because I was away for a week. My sister and her husband retired to Tampa this winter and invited us to visit. We were tired of winter in central NY and jumped at the chance. Enjoyed summer for a week. Back home to cold rain but at least the snow is all gone. Not putting the snow blower away yet though.