lowering your intake of fat??????????? but still following a keto diet

Options
sexysexy2
sexysexy2 Posts: 49 Member
does anyone here keep to 5% carbs, 20% protein and 75% fat but only consume 30-50g fat letting your body use its own fat for fuel ... for me I should eat 108g (75%) of fat so if I ate 50g fat my body would have to make up the other 58% to make it up to the 75% ? I am confused with this one ..... I have sat and watched youtube on it but.... does it mean I should still hit my daily % of carbs and protein, only half the fat which in turn gives you a lower calorie intake.... The reason I am asking is because I am in ketosis, losing body fat but no weight. Keto Chaos is just one person but there are more on youtube who either eats a higher protein and lower fat or eat the correct macro for carbs and protein as per keto calculator but only eat half the fat... and they are on keto and in ketosis ???? I am confused as to what I should change my macros to for mfp or should I keep them as they are but just make sure I only eat half the fat?????

Replies

• sexysexy2
    Options
    I have been on keto since the end of january and feel like I am losing the battle. I initially lost weight, then gained it back again although I followed and logged everything but.... I have lost fat%. It is so frustrating because I have used several keto calculators and I have used the average macros and calorie count.

Last weekend I really did my homework on keto and found out why I was losing fat% but not weight (muscle) I then found ketoers who lowered their fat% and increased their protein% so that your body uses its own fat to make up the difference. So I thought I would give that a go making sure that I did not come out of ketosis (of which I have been in since I started keto).

So after a week I still have not lost any weight, I am still in ketosis but my fat % has gone up by 0.3%.

So I have gone half way on my macros from what I was using to what I changed them to at the weekend (in bold). Although my aim is to stick to the calories I average out at 1350 a day which is 60 calories more but my carbs are always well under 16g carbs (btw I count total carbs)

Macros before the change - Marcros after change - Marcros now
    calories 1290 calories 1290 calories 1290
    carbs 5% (16g) carbs 5% (16g) carbs 5% (16g)
    protein 20% (65g) protein 30% (97g) protein 25% (81g)
    fat 75% (108g) fat 65% (93g) fat 70% (100g)

I am pleased that I have lost fat% - actually since I have started I have gone from 48% to 42% body fat, I have not lost any inches, I am still in the same clothes and I have not lost any weight and at the end of the day I HAVE 42LB TO LOSE ...........

I love the keto lifestyle I just wish I was one of those lucky ketoers who lose weight !
  • lizward18294
    lizward18294 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great to see you are motivated and persist. I am in a slump at the moment after a good 6 months losing 20kgs. From what I have learnt from another keto group you MUST eat your protein allocation depending on your height. You can consume up to your allocated carbs so feel free to eat less if you want to of these. The fat grams is a MAX amt you have the option to consume. You should eat some to satisfy but the amounts for the day should be at least 10 grams less than your allocated protein grams if you want to lose weight. Those I have seen lose a lot of weight have very low carb counts and really do not add any fats and remove all visual ones such as fat on meats etc. Having said that eating healthy oily fish is a must for your health so is natural fat within the animal meats. I am finding I need the fats to keep me satisfied and also use diet jellies with cream cheese in them for a snack of something sweet when I crave. Hoping this information helps you a little. You can do this and achieve your goal. Keto on and you can be a big loser too:).
  • lizward18294
    lizward18294 Posts: 5 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I forgot to add that as far as your new macros are I would tweek them to 10 grams less fat than protein. How tall are you?
    Also look up intermitent fasting. That seems to turbo boost folks weight loss. I do it too some days. No food at all for 16-18 hours and eating window is 6-8 hours. Many choose overnight to fast and eat well from early morning then cease food after say 2pm. This may help you too depending on your lifestyle.
  • sexysexy2
    Options
    Hi lizward, I am 5ft 7" and in the middle of menopause and keto has stopped all side effects which is great as I do not take anything for menopause symptoms.

I IF from 7pm to 1pm the following day. I too need the fat to keep me satisfied especially when I am burning 500-800 calories when exercising. Being 51 also does not help.... I did not have any issues losing weight until a few years ago and then it was like hitting a brick wall, I woke up and realised I was 42lb over weight. Most days I do not reach my macro goals but they do meet % wise.....

I must be doing something right as my body fat% is going down .... I just need the weight to catch up.... I know my body enough to know that if I reduce my calories then I definitely will not lose any weight as my body hates going under 1200 a day.

The fact that I am in ketosis is another sign that I must be doing something right .... it may be that I need to do this for a bit longer so that my body knows I am not going to starve it before I start to see weight loss ..... I am going to give it another month using 5% carbs - 25% protein and 70% fat before looking at my macros again.

I know physically I am in tiptop condition so keto has to start to work at some point.... it is just frustrating when you sit and watch youtube and everyone else seems to be losing pounds and pounds and pounds ..... :) and you know you are doing your best and no pounds are dropping off ......