Options
Hello everyone;
I have been a Fitness Pal member since 2014 but just joined this group in the last 4 days. After most recently losing 90 pounds and regaining it all plus then some after my mother died 2 years ago, I knew I had to take serious action. I am very close to immobile now and have failed more times than I can count keeping off the weight that I lost. I started the process for the gastric sleeve last August and my surgery is scheduled for May 7th. When I announced on my home page that I was having gastric surgery only 1person on my friend list responded at all and I think some friends have unfriended me. I can deal with that though - I am doing this for my health and not for their approval. I know if I do not take affirmative action immediately I will be unable to walk in a very short period of time. I started my liquid diet on Sunday and will probably have lost 20 pounds by the time I weigh in again on Sunday morning. It's going well - haven't felt too hungry - but have had nausea and headache. I am looking forward to moving forward with this plan and my life.

Replies

• StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group @lindanewland37! You've come to the right place for judgment-free support!
  • AnnieB55978
    AnnieB55978 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Welcome @lindanewland37 You are brave to have told people at all. I am scheduled for May 28 and have only shared with my husband.
  • Trailtramper74
    Trailtramper74 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Congratulations on your decision. Losing and regaining several times is why I had VSG. I am five months out and couldn’t be happier
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! Your surgery is right around the corner and I can assure you that you will be glad you decided to take this route! Some people think it’s the easy way out but as any of us can tell you, it most certainly isn’t. I have lost about 70 lbs and had bypass 2 years ago. I had lost about 86 lbs but Re-gained about 15 lbs which I am working on losing.

Here are some good resources I have found for products, recipes and just good blog posts:

Bariatric Eating
    The World According to Eggface
    Bariatric Foodie
    Celebrate Vitamins
    Eat the Bear (love their protein powder)
    Chike (love their coffee based protein powders)
    Chocorite - great protein powders and sugar feee chocolates
    Lilly’s Chocolate - tasty sugar free options
    Lakanto - monk fruit based sweetener and products
    Skinnytaste
    Emily Bites
    Weight Watchers
    Once Upon A Chef
    Mels Kitchen Cafe
    Peas and Crayons
    Oh She Glows
    Damn Delicious (love the protein waffle recipe. Doesn’t use protein powder just cottage cheese and eggs for protein sources)
    Syntrax Nectar (they will send you a samplin if all of their offerings for $15 - one time only)
    Thin Slim Foods
    Also - I recently tried Ezekiel bread which is flour free and very good

Some of these sites aren’t specific to Bariatric surgery patients but have good resources and recipes. Some recipes can be modified as well.

Good luck and we are here for your support!

Jen
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! I have not announced to my MFP friends either because I know people are judgemental on this site. But, I am 13 days out of surgery and it’s been a pretty good recovery.
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    People who are judgmental about WLS likely see being obese as a sign of weakness/laziness/lack of self-control i.e. a moral failure. It’s not. And WLS isn’t the easy way, a shortcut, or a cop out. It’s the only way medical science has today of giving you a fighting chance of keeping the weight off. Currently only 2-4% of obese people who lose weight solely through diet and exercise can keep it off for a minimum of 5 years. Your odds are so much better with WLS!
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. You'll find great support and help here. I've sent you a friend request.
  • lindanewland37
    lindanewland37 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments and support. I will check out the resources listed when I am home from the surgery and have time on my hands.
  • rll22
    rll22 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Welcome @lindanewland37 You are brave to have told people at all. I am scheduled for May 28 and have only shared with my husband.
    I'm with you....Other than this group, the only people in my life who know I am trying to get surgery is my spouse, my mother-in-law, and one coworker. I just don't think it's their businesses and I don't want all the negative comments!