Welcome to Sit Less Boot Camp and a Pre-Challenge Challenge!

themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,211 Member
edited April 2018 in Social Groups
a3n289s9nb78.jpg

Welcome to Sit Less Boot Camp!

We will officially begin this Tuesday, May 1 with a series of daily sit-less challenges. I can't wait to begin. So many of you have signed up, sent me email reminder requests, watched the Boot Camp video, and enthusiastically told me that you are IN. Your enthusiasm is very motivating to me!

Our Main Goal

Our main goal for this session is to help you find one way that you can sit less every day. Something that works for you that you can develop into a daily habit. Something that you will just do as part of your daily routine and will want to keep doing long after Sit Less Boot Camp is over. Our tendency is to try to change lots of things all at once, but trust me, that's a mistake. Those who study habits tell us that the best way to develop a new habit is to proceed slowly, deliberately, and to repeatedly practice the new behavior until it becomes just part of our daily routine.

New habits are like seedlings. Just as new plants need the right amount of water, sunlight, and soil nutrients to grow and thrive, new habits need focus, time, and space in your life to grow. Good habits don't take root on their own. They need practice and attention. That's really what Sit Less Boot Camp is all about: 3 weeks of focused attention and giving these new sit-less habits time and space in your life so that they can have a lasting positive impact on your well-being. It isn't about sitting less. Sitting less is just the tool that can open the door to the kind of life that you want.

How to Get the Most Out of Sit Less Boot Camp: A Few Suggestions

1. Check in every day. We have a reminder system in place if it's helpful to you to get a daily email with each day's challenge. Or bookmark our website and make a note to yourself to check in daily. Whatever works best for you, but check-in every day. New habits require daily commitment.

2. Keep your expectations reasonable. I wish I could say that these next 3 weeks will be the most thrilling experience that you've ever had, but I won't make that claim. We are talking about sitting less, not skydiving. What I will say is that Sit Less Boot Camp can give you tools, ideas, and strategies to make sitting less a habit and a natural part of your day. And as such, sitting less can open doors that can lead you to a richer and more joyful life. And that's pretty exciting!

3. Remind yourself of both your short term and long term goals and stay focused on those. Why do you want to sit less? What do you hope it will do for you? Do you want to feel better, lose weight, have less joint pain and more energy? Let these short-term objectives motivate and inspire you through Boot Camp. Want to remain living independently and watch your grandchildren graduate? Let those long-term goals help you keep your focus over the next few weeks.

4. Participate and post When you post your comments and thoughts on our daily challenge threads, you give people an opportunity to learn from you and encourage you. Boot Camp is a community-based program and it's the support of the community that can make the difference between wanting to sit less and actually sitting less. Most of us have tried to sit less on our own and it didn't work out too well. Now let's tap into the power of working on this together. Let your voice be heard. Post frequently.

Your First Challenge

Our first few daily challenges will be geared to helping us find and select a new sit-less habit. I'll have a lot more to say about that in the coming days, but for now, if you are eager to get started, here's what I suggest. Over the next few days, just observe your sitting habits. When do you sit most often and what are you doing? Are you receptive to finding new ways to do that activity that would result in sitting less or is it something you really love doing and just don't want to change? It's hard to change something when it's not a good fit for you. You'll be far more successful if you choose a sit-less activity that fits well into your life.

More to come very soon. Thanks for joining us for Sit Less Boot Camp. See you Tuesday!

Best Wishes,

Denise

Replies

• LogR4Life
    LogR4Life Posts: 62 Member
    Why can’t I “favourite” this page? It says I need “the Vanilla.DiscussionsView permission to do that”.
  • themedalist
    edited April 2018
    LogR4Life wrote: »
    Why can’t I “favourite” this page? It says I need “the Vanilla.DiscussionsView permission to do that”.

Right now @LogR4Life , if you or anyone tries to "favorite" this thread or any thread in any MFP community group, I think you will get this error message:

bdv7t2ci9lol.png

There is currently a problem on MFP with “starring” or bookmarking the group threads you are interested in following so that you get a notification when someone makes a new comment. I believe they know about the error, but I’m going to see if there are any updates on the MFP Help desk.

Frustrating, for sure, but it shouldn't affect us too much. People can still read the daily challenge links and post and view comments. They just won't get an automatic notification from MFP when a new comment has been made on a group thread.

• poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 528 Member
    Hmmm... might be the browser you're using. I use my computer and Firefox, and I just starred this discussion with no problems.
  • themedalist
    edited April 2018
    poisonesse wrote: »
    Hmmm... might be the browser you're using. I use my computer and Firefox, and I just starred this discussion with no problems.

Good point, @poisonesse. I use Chrome on my laptop and I can't bookmark threads using that or when I use the iPhone and iPad MFP app. It does not seem to be a universal problem, but enough people are having this issue that I easily found a couple of threads devoted to the topic.

No matter, it really won't impact us. Welcome, Everyone, to Sit Less Boot Camp! Please chime in with anything you'd like to share about yourself and perhaps why you want to sit less?
  • MimiOfTheFraserValley
    MimiOfTheFraserValley Posts: 108 Member
    I'm excited.
  • starryk02
    starryk02 Posts: 12 Member
    I am really looking forward to this - this is my first boot camp (is good to see I am not the only one)... Good luck everyone!
  • themedalist
    jor3c wrote: »
    Sedentary job (School district administrative offices receptionist, switchboard & data entry on computer)...but trying to stand and move more at my small area... Don't have much opportunities to get up and move other than standing and moving side to side, but I am trying. I try to walk a bit before work and at lunch break when I can. Other than that and standing to cook and clean supper for dh and kids I am needing to move more. My hobbies include knitting and crocheting for charity (LOTS of sitting), small hikes when I can get one of my kids to go with (seldom/rarely last 2 years), and small rides on my horse whenever I can. Perpetual exhaustion and very little sleep rule my days. I average 3-4hrs. sleep at most unfortunately...with work, family, driving kids, cooking and care of assorted animals at home.

@jor3c, simply standing up and stretching or moving in place every 30 reduces the risks from sitting. Yes, the total amount of sitting hours also is important, but breaking up the sitting and not sitting in one place/position for too long also is important. Fidgeting while you sit is a great strategy!
  • themedalist
    I am very excited to do this boot camp - my first one online! I need to MOVE MORE - I am grossly over weight, a diabetic and suffer with depression! I need to lose weight to save my life - I need to lose weight so I can see my 4 grandchildren grow up!! Thank you for this group and the support! I am ready to Sit Less

Posts like yours @LHarris0811 are so motivating to me! When you have a lot of health issues and are overweight, it's hard to get started and be more active...even when you know you need to be. To me, simply making a conscious effort to sit less and move a little more is....err, pardon the pun, a great first step. Sit a little less, move a little more, commit to the process and over time you WILL start to feel better and your health will improve. I am glad you are here!