Post-Op Survival Guide

Options
This discussion thread focuses on what to expect and best practices to help you transition from Hospital to home. Topics include pain management, incision care, your clear liquid diet and learning to adjust to your new little "pouch". Share your stories, concerns, questions!

Replies

• melissious
    melissious Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Getting the sleeve tomorrow, and I’m super nervous! I can’t find all of my information for after surgery, because I moved during the preop education period. I’ll ask my doctor tomorrow, but afraid I’ll be too loop to remember. How long was the clear diet? What was everyone’s progression like, and where are you at now as far as an eating plan?? TIA for any pointers on ANYTHING!
  • ladybug2659
    ladybug2659 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Each doctor has their own required protocol however, I was on clear liquids the first week and thereafter progressed to creamed soups and sugar free fudgesicles and Bariatric whey protein shakes. Please stay away from sorbitol and fat-- sugar alcohols in the sugar free stuff may cause gas and diarrhea (which can be nearly uncontrollable in some people). By week 4 I started on puréed foods-- protein first, veggies, fruit. I kept organic baby food pouches in my purse. I was able to eat ground up grilled chicken, tuna, salmon. I have introduced my pouch to cottage cheese this week along with boiled egg, natural applesauce, dried apricots and a few almonds. Zero appetite, I eat 800-1,000 calories a day and that feels like I pigged out. I get a bit dizzy if I get up too fast, tummy muscles are a bit sore but all in all..... doing well.
  • ladybug2659
    Options
    For those of you that have many questions about Bariatric Surgery check out Dr. Alvarez’s quick vids that are generally 5 minutes or under. He is refreshingly transparent and genuine. You can search for his vids on YouTube as well as many testimonials from all kinds of patients. I encourage you to watch the presentation where he literally demos the stapling gun and the technique used to create your sleeve (using a slab of ham)! Not all sleeves are the same—nor are all of our stomachs the same size. Each person has their unique experience and each doctor varies as to their directives and approach for both pre and post-op directives. Sleeving IS believing.... that you can transform your health and your life! It’s a great tool—not magic! You gotta do your part. I am 5 weeks post-op.
  • ladybug2659
    edited March 2018
    Options
    A word about Biotin. Biotin is a B vitamin and coenzyme that your body needs for protein metabolism and for hair, skin, nerve, and digestive health. This bariatric vitamin is often used to prevent hair loss after weight loss surgery. Also, some research has found it may improve blood sugar levels in type 2 diabetes. Buy Gluten Free, dissolving tablets.
  • LGLAustin
    LGLAustin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I have my Sleeve surgery on March 19, 2018. I'm into week two now and starting to eat more cream soups supplemented with protein drinks. I got a lot of good information from Youtube - Duc C Vuong "Dr. V" I found him very informational and helpful through my decision. Vitamin B12 has really helped with energy level but still find I get sleepy about 2:30 pm every day. I went back to work after one week and not feeling any effects from it. Mine was out surgery so I went home the same day. Haven't felt any nausea throughout the process. Very excited to begin this journey.
  • LGLAustin
    Options
    If anyone wants to follow my blog, you are welcome to. I'm trying to update daily on what I'm eating, feeling, general tips on what is helping me through my days.
  • ladybug2659
    Options
    B-12. Met with my surgeon yesterday as follow-up going on 3 month post-op in April. The liquid B-12 is ESSENTIAL in keeping your energy up. Use the liquid (it comes with a dropper) and squirt it under your tongue and hold 30 seconds. Do this on an empty stomach — DID YOU KNOW that your liver is using nearly 30% of your resting energy just to process fat, toxins, and is being heavily taxed after bariatric surgery! Do you feel exhausted after eating? It happens.... and when your brain and your metabolism and your digestive system is saying WT*$ it’s to be expected. The brain is receiving new signals, the body is vying for essential nutrients, your pouch is trying to adjust and heal, your eyes are almost literally bigger than your stomach and psychologically there are lots of changes. Be GOOD to yourself. Keep your meals small but frequent—give your body fuel.... eat clean and unprocessed foods as much as possible. You will transform your body and your life.
  • ladybug2659
    Options
    Surviving Special Occassions. I knew with the Holiday weekend that I would have some choices to make. I love BBQ and I adore a good homemade potato salad.... and uh..... sweet slaw and slow cooked baked beans.... and then the green beans and banana pudding. So, I planned what I would allow myself. I ordered 1/4 Lb smoked pulled pork and used very little sauce because the burnt ends were really good... had 3 tbsp of potato salad and unsweetened tea. It was beautiful weather so we stopped and strolled the grounds of two beautiful historical Manor homes. I can say that my pouch wasn’t overly thrilled with the pork... I couldn’t eat all the pork so I took it to go.... and the mayo.... although it enhances the potato salad.... made me feel a bit nauseous. I take TUMS along in my purse and within 10 minutes I felt much better. It being Easter weekend, I did buy some dove caramel sea salt chocolates for my husband. I am happy to say that I had only 2 and was fine with just a taste. Being that it was ALSO our wedding anniversary I knew I would need to navigate the dinner menu.... I had half a crab cake for an appetizer and ordered the first dirty martini since surgery .... with three blue cheese stuffed olives. My husband said “well, there’s your dinner”.....
  • ladybug2659
    Options
    The Inevitable Stall
    By Diana C.
    A "stall" a few weeks out is inevitable, and here's why.

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, your body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, you also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

As you stay in caloric deficit, however, your body starts to realize that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But your body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy -- like, to outrun a saber tooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while as you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored.

Breathe, and fuggedaboudit for a few days.
  • LGLAustin
    Options
    Way to Go Chrissy. I'm starting week 4 post op. I went through the 3rd week stall as well. This week I can start to have "real People" food - eggs, white fish, canned veggies, various soups. Good luck and keep trucking on. I'm down 30lbs :)
  • shawntee1379
    shawntee1379 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @ladybug2659 I’m 3 weeks post-op, can you please share how you get 800-1000 calories in? I’m struggling to get in 500.
  • ladybug2659
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Shawntee1379 I want to wish you the best on your weight loss journey — it’s different from person to person but I share my experiences in hope that it might help others. I did not bounce back like many people. At 3 weeks out I still had a swollen sleeve and my stomach was still tender. The most important thing was to stay hydrated and get in the protein. I battled neausa and was terribly fatigued. I had to build up to 800 calories using a combination approach that included eating several small portions throughout the day and swigging the liquid protein shots which have 42g of whey protein. I like Greek yogurt and found that it helped soothe my stomach, I would use it to make a tuna salad and supplemented with saltines (4-5) which helped that feeling of morning sickness. I found that weight watchers offered an ice cream that was low in sugar and did not have sorbitol in them (thus, no gas pain or diahrea) — again, soothing my sick stomach. Lastly, I liked cream of chicken, cream of mushroom soups. Around that time, I also used slammers protein and fruit organics and cottage cheese as well as boiled eggs,
  • LGLAustin
    Options
    Shawntee - I'm using the Premier Protein pre-mixed shakes I get from Walmart. They are 160 calories, 1g sugar, 30 g protein, 5 carbs. They have several flavors. In the evening I add ice and make shakes with added whey protein powder and now fiber. Hope that helps. Stay strong
  • CShedrick
    CShedrick Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Hello Everyone. My name is Christina and I just had the Gastric Sleeve Surgery on 4/5/18 and currently I am able to consume about 500 calories in a day along with 60 grams of Protein and 48 oz. of Water. Is that good or am I going to fast? And even though I am almost 2 weeks Post Op, I'm still in a lot of Pain. Side Note: As of Today I lost 21 pounds since my VSG Surgery.
  • LGLAustin
    Options
    CShedrick - I wasn't in a lot of pain but did feel discomfort if I slept on my side. If you are feeling deep pain, I'd call your bariatric nurse and just ask questions. If nothing else to make you feel better. I called my several times and she was very helpful. I think your intake of fluids are right on point. Just keep sipping your water and protein shakes. My VSG Surgery was on 3/19/18 - down 35.5 so far. Like Chrissym said, you'll hit a stall about 3-4 weeks, but don't panic. Just keep trucking along. You are doing great!!!!
  • ladybug2659
    edited April 2018
    Options
    My crazy bathroom scale.... We work hard to see results. The scale is a tool that helps us stay on track and in some innate way... is a cheerleader motivating us on to carry us to the end zone. So what’s up if you weigh yourself every day? Every week? Your weight will fluctuate of course but what if you weighed yourself and it says the same thing as 10 days ago. Could it be the scale? Is it taking you on a roller coaster ride? Well, depending on what scale you own you may need to make sure your scale is recalibrated. It’s good to move the scale and recalibrate it.
    Place the scale back on a hard, flat surface
    With one foot, press the platform of the scale so that numbers appear on the display. Once you see zeros or dashes remove your foot.
    Wait for the scale to turn off again.
    Your scale is now calibrated. Step up onto the scale for a weight reading.
    Yep....4 lbs gone. I knew something was not right.... I am now out of women’s sizes of today. Milestone!
  • hrsnjs
    hrsnjs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is so inspiring. Great job and congrats.
  • ladybug2659
    Options
    Drinking with Meals. Taking a big glug of iced tea with a mouth full of food is normal for many. But after weight loss surgery, drinking while you are eating washes the food out of your pouch. This allows you to refill your pouch and eat around your surgery. There are some who do this on purpose so they can eat more, adding a twist of psychological sabotage.

We know that there is one ‘professional’ who wrote that its okay to drink with meals. So latch on and listen to this one voice rather than the many thousands of surgeons & certified professionals who have told us otherwise. Brilliant.

People come up with the excuse that they have to drink because they are thirsty. Drink a glass of water before you eat. Problem solved. You can drink right up until you take that first bite, but once the food starts, no more drinking unless you are choking. This is critical to long term success. No drinking with meals. Forever. Period. Done.
  • ladybug2659
    Options
    Not Taking Your Vitamins. How long can someone last when food intake is restricted and they cannot absorb nutrients? Take vitamins. Take vitamins. Take vitamins. If you have bariatric surgery at age 35, what happens to you after 25 years of deficiencies? It does not end well. The numbers of post ops who break a wrist or ankle in minor trip and fall accidents would shock you. A crisp porous bone will CRUSH like a wafer and little can be done about it late in the game. Longterm post ops are horrified that their teeth have loosened because of osteoporotic jawbones. Many need involved dental procedures including bone grafts when the underlying structures won’t support a root canal or implant.

There are serious conditions that can damage you when you are deficient in vitamins, protein and or minerals. There are neurological conditions caused by not taking essential supplements that are irreversible and can lead to death. TIP! Get your blood work done every 3 months post op.