thinking of going back to low carb

Options
brenn24179
brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
was doing good, got flu back in January, ate bread, peanut butter crackers to settle my stomach. 4 months later I am still eating bread and stuff so I am going to try this low carb stuff again, it was helping me, is this what works for ya?

Replies

• aupston
    aupston Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    • I did low carb after my son was born. 15 years ago, at the time of lost 30 pounds. I’ve been back on low carb since June 2017. I’ve lost 75 pounds. So I think I can say it works for me. It’s almost a year, I have 5 pounds to my goal. I see this as an eating plan that I can maintain. I have a cheap/reward day and that helps to keep on the plan. Good luck
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    thank you, my husband loves eating this way so that helps. I sure hate to give up those delicious carbs but I hate being fat even more! Kept my weight off for 5 years and got the flu and got back on carbs and my clothes are tight and I hate it. So I have went shopping and got plenty of healthy foods. Thanks for your support.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I went low carb partially because I hate to give up the tasty carbs - it was impossible for me to stop at just a bite. ;)

I stay low carb most of the time. It works best for me too.

Good luck!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I've not had to "give up" vegetables at all or a little fruit, legumes etc every now and then.

The highly palatable perfectly concoctions (I feel) designed to "stimulate" over eating for those of us who seem to not have an off switch and stimulate sales for the manufacturers...not so much. I'm talking about the likes of desserts and crunchy snacks. I keep those out of the house. Good luck! Change your thinking
    >change your habits.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    What has worked for me is giving up grains (breads, rice, quinoa, etc.) potatoes, traditional pasta, and limiting fruits to berries and occasionally a part of an apple/pear/plum, I do use lemon/lime juices. I keep my total carbs around 50 grams, but some days it can go as low as 15 grams. I use fasting both intermittent and extended ones, to keep my weight in the range I want. I will be in maintenance for a year next month.

I found a couple of good keto bread recipes, so I can have those instead of grain breads. I do zoodles for pasta or use Miracle rice where I used rice or quinoa before. Cauliflower and leek soup instead of potato leek soup, those kinds of swap outs. There are some threads here for keto meals, check out the ideas there.

Good luck.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I feel like I strive to be keto everyday.. but some days wind up being more low carb.

For weight loss and now some minor health issues I prefer to do keto, but since hitting maintenance I find I go back and forth. Often, not on purpose; but, still a far, far cry from going back to the more standard American eating style.

Maintenance is harder for me than straight up losing weight. It's been a couple years that I've been trying to find that sweet, steady eddy eating style...but it mostly eludes me. Instead of a change...it feels like a minimized yo-yo pattern. Up and down 20 pounds which is better than up and down a hundred...still I'd like to settle at maybe up and down 5 pounds. Just staying there steadily without a lot of thought and bother about it.

But I digress! Just some random thoughts.