4+ year post-op and gaining? need accountability partner?

Options
13»

Replies

• jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    At least we are all in good company and that this is fairly normal. I will take a page out of @JamesAztec’s book and try to eat minimally processed or not processed foods.

Been making sure that I am staying super hydrated too. Unfortunately my stress levels aren’t lessening due to bs at work and my 11 year old who has been waking up at 3:30/4 am when I do and makes it impossible to leave the house to go to the gym...hopefully between making more food changes and staying hydrated will help esp if I don’t make it to the gym as planned!
  • kimgravitt3
    kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I’ve gained 14 lbs 2.5 years out. I quit tracking food and got back on carbs and sweets. I still can’t eat a lot but the wrong things are going in my body. I also quit working out. I’m thoroughly mad at myself and started today to get back on track. I lost from 364 to 168. I’m currently at 183. I don’t ever want to be over 200 lbs again! We all are fighting a battle and will never be able to eat what we want to. We can be each other’s support system. Best of luck!!! By the way, I had RNY.
  • Stephaniev51697
    Stephaniev51697 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've gained 14 lbs from my lowest weight. I'm 4yrs out from VSG. I'm actually struggling now. I can't seem to stick to how we're supposed to be eating... I start my day out good with yogurt or a protein shake, and by the time I get home from work, my diet goes right down the drain.
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    @Stephaniev51697 I feel your pain. I start out every day on the right track. I take a protein shake, protein bar & sensibly-portioned lunch to work and do fine. After work, it's a struggle to not "fall apart" and eat whatever. I've found that doing yard work or some other laborious activity takes my mind off of food and actually stops me from feeling hungry. But as we all know, every person is different and what works for one won't for somebody else.
  • Stephaniev51697
    Stephaniev51697 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    @StevenGarrigus Doing some kind of activity after work would be the best way to keep me from letting my food choices get the best of me. You're absolutely right. I'm back to going to the gym after work with my cousin and then by the time I get home from there, I really dont even want to eat, so hoping this helps me! :)
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    @Stephaniev51697 That's awesome! Another problem I have is being able to meal-prep. With our 8 month old little man, there isn't much time for anything else. I've been spending between 60-90 minutes every evening lately raking huge piles of leaves (large yard surrounded by 11 acres of woods) while he takes his evening nap. LOL.
  • debhaley1
    debhaley1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    VSG 4/14/14. Age 53, HW376, LW201, CW216. Have gained 16 pounds since lowest weight. Never seen Onederland, but really want to. I live in Emporia Kansas and would love a workout partner as well, but we are a small town so if I dont find one it's easy to understand. However, would love having someone to be accountable with.
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays we have all been there or like you going through it now. I am about 15-20 lbs above my lowest weight though I was there for a blip but trying to get back to the range where I was most comfortable.

I will go back and look at when I first started this journey though I did exist on quite a few of the protein bars from my Bariatric nutritionists office. As a sufferer of vertigo and migraines I am trying to avoid as much artificial sweeteners as possible, though I will use stevia or monkfruit.

I love to cool and bake and always am looking for new recipes that I can portion control and bring to work with me. Also I have a white board so I can plan my dinners during the week.

Been a bit slack at the gym the past couple of weeks outside of my trainer once a week. We had an unexpected death in the family so we went out of town, and work is crappy so I am stressed plus my daughter has sever ADHD so working through those issue as well.

We will get back to where we need to. I just try to keep reminding myself how far I have come.
  • OwOwBrickHouse
    OwOwBrickHouse Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had RNY 4 1/2 years ago. My highest weight was 300+, my surgery weight was 274, and my lowest weight post-op was 178. Like jcavanna2, I was there for about a minute and a half! I had a long-term stall in the mid 180's, then began creeping upward. During all this, and until recently, I worked in my bariatric surgeon's office, so I was surrounded with "best practices" and success stories. In 2015, I went back to night school and my surgeon warned me of the dangers of grazing, eating on-the-go, and mindless eating, since I worked full time while I went to school full time. Boy, was he spot on! Since then I've gained another 30 pounds. I find I am able to eat almost everything, I drink diet soda (through a STRAW!), and I eat more than I should. My bariatric program has an on-staff dietitian and I visited her yesterday. I hadn't climbed on the scale there in about 2 years. I refused to look, then last night, I went on my patient portal and there it was: 217 lbs. I suffer from peripheral neuropathy, degenerative disk disease, osteopenia, and a host of other fun things that limit what I can do for fitness. But I can walk, so that's where I'll start. My dietitian recommended MFP, and I've been a member here for years, so I'm glad I found this group. My circumstances are much different than when I joined MFP! I was so strong back then. I'm starting a new job Monday, downstairs from my old job, so I'm using the weekend to sort of ease myself back into the right mindset and eating plan. I want to see my old co-workers and have them see a difference! And I know losing this regain will make me feel better overall.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve late 2014, so I'm about 3 1/2 yrs. HW was 248. Lowest wait was 160...for about 1 day. 1 month ago I decided I was not going to put back on all the weight that I have lost. I got on the scale and saw 202--that was a wakeup. For the last month I have gone back to eating the way I was directed after surgery. I have also been getting up at 4:45 every week day to go work out before I go to work. I have lost 8 lbs in the first month. I have a ways to go before I get back down to 160 (which was not my goal weight-- that is 150) but I'm going to keep working out and eating right and I feel like I can get there. I believe in myself.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I guess I am what you would call an "emotional eater." I've lived with depression & anxiety disorder for as long as I can remember. My depression usually manifests in me getting angry. Zoloft has kept me most in control for a long time now (as well as other meds since my official diagnosis 18 years ago). I still get angry, I just don't rage out like the Hulk. And when I do get angry I start getting ravenous, seeking out comfort foods. Anxiety spells also trigger me the same way. Yay me. Not making excuses, but being stressed out during the pregnancy and every thing else going on contributed to my weight gain from June through Christmas. And the tighter my clothes got, the more I "eased my stress" with food. Vicious cycle.

And the whole thing is quite strange since I work as a Corrections Officer in a maximum security prison and don't really feel anxiety or stress at work. Go figure.

This may be strange to hear but I can relate to your post.

I worked in a close custody prison for 15 years. It takes a toll on you mentally and physically.

I wake up each morning:
    I have to take steps to manage and work on my bariatric plan and obesity issues.
    I have to manage and cope with my mental issues
    I have to manage my diabetes.

We all have things to overcome in life. Tackle it one day at a time. When you slip, pick yourself up and push through it.

Without the pain there is no progress

• kimgravitt3
    kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    RNY in Oct of 2016. HW 367. Lowest weight 168, for about a week. I stayed around 173 for the two years, then my addiction crept back in my life and I was eating bread, potatoes and eating more than I should. I still don’t tolerate sugar well but I nibbled on it. Last week, I was up to 187. No more. I worked too hard. I did the 3 day pouch reset ( it does work). I’m tracking every thing and exercising again. We can do this!
  • amandaskinner86
    amandaskinner86 Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am 2 years post VSG, and find some bad habits are slipping in. SW was 245 and CW is 150, 5'5". My lowest weight was 145 so I've gained back a few. It's a slippery slope so I'd like to tackle this now. My original goal weight was around 150, but I know now that I'd like to be closer to 140-ish. That being said, I probably have about 15 pounds of fat I'd like to lose while building up some healthy muscle mass.

Prior to surgery, bread-type carbs were my go-to comfort and pleasure. After having the surgery, while I still enjoy the taste of bread I definitely don't get much pleasure from it. My plan allows bread in moderation so my intake of that isn't going to change much likely. However, I've found myself replacing that crutch with sugary treats like candy or baked goods. I am all for anything in moderation, but I know that I'm overdoing it in that area.

Another issue I have is water intake. Before surgery I hated drinking water and surgery definitely didn't change that. So I am making a new commitment to really work hard and drink a lot more.

Lastly, is exercise! I don't do it and really never have minus some brief attempts at sticking to some sort of regimen. I'm going to stat though! I generally work three 12 hour shifts every week, so I'd like to start doing some sort of physical activity on the four days I'm not working.

I'd love to follow along with everyone else that's on this journey as well. You all are welcome to send me a friend request and maybe we can help keep each other accountable :-)
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I started a July challenge to get back on track with my 2018 goals. I'd love to have you join me in finding my January enthusiasm for getting healthy - You can find the challenge at https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10678502/renew-your-2018-resolutions-july-challenge#latest
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @amandaskinner86 I am a little more than 2 years post op as well and trying to knock off 10-15 pounds since I had some Re-gain. I enjoy baking and have been doing it basically since I am walking. That said I make things in single servings and log them in MFP so if I really want something I have it and I also give most of it away or freeze it. Maybe start doing small walks just to get into activity and definitely participate in the July challenge that @loveshoe posted
  • littlegibbs62
    littlegibbs62 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie (RNY Feb 20, 2018). But like most of us, I've gained and lost, gained and lost, gained and lost. And naively I want to claim the WLS victory of "I'll never regain my weight back again, as God and Scarlett O'Hara are my witnesses!" ROFLMFAO!

Thank each of you vets for coming here and sharing your stories and realities!!! I wish each of you well and pray for blessings to all. I know I can't offer you consolation or advice about what to do as a veteran. I know that I will never be able to lose this weight one last time and not fight against regain or face losing the inevitable regain.

But I am a weight loss warrior and veteran of about 45+ years! LOL. And these are some truths I've discovered that may help some of you? If not, just take it with a grain of salt and ignore me!

The things I know:
    1. Once you arrive at the Obesity Ball, weight management NEVER stops. It never stops. We can never "go back to our old ways" or "eat like a normal person with a normal metabolism." We stopped being normal when we hit that range (actually before that but I won't split hairs). So we MUST continue to do things differently--doing what works for each of our individual metabolisms/beliefs/food preferences, etc.
    2. Recidivism is THE RULE not the exception--and this is only compounded and more complex if you also suffer with any addiction issues or food imbalances. Humans are MASTER rationalizers as well. We can talk ourselves into any craving with crazy-*kitten* reasoning and circular arguments and strawman arguments with our own minds.
    3. One Day At A Time--there's a reason this mantra works for millions of AA or *Anonymous people -- cuz it's a general truth. We can't fix what's past. We can't worry the future into submission. We can only live today taking our "next best step," "our next best bite," "making our next best choice or decision."
    4. Weight Regain Is Reality--it's there. My surgeon warned each of us about this at every pre-surgery visit. She encouraged and helped to shape the post op plan for regain even as we were preparing for surgery and continues this educational process at my post surg follow-up during the honeymoon phase. I know I will STILL struggle, despite this preparation and planning! LOL> what a *kitten*!
    5. Life Happens--everyday life happens. We ALL have stress. We all have emotional trials, work issues, people problems, griefs. Life's a *kitten*, then you pay taxes, then you die. BUT, we have power and strength. We are not victims of life. We have power IF we choose to exercise it.
    6. Success comes from MANY SMALL actions done repetitively and routinely every single forking live-long day. It's not the grand slam. It's the daily grind. It's getting out of bed and doing as @fit_chickx does every day. And as in Bull Durham, "Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometime it rains..."
    7. fit_chickx
      fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
      Options
      I'm a newbie (RNY Feb 20, 2018). But like most of us, I've gained and lost, gained and lost, gained and lost. And naively I want to claim the WLS victory of "I'll never regain my weight back again, as God and Scarlett O'Hara are my witnesses!" ROFLMFAO!

Thank each of you vets for coming here and sharing your stories and realities!!! I wish each of you well and pray for blessings to all. I know I can't offer you consolation or advice about what to do as a veteran. I know that I will never be able to lose this weight one last time and not fight against regain or face losing the inevitable regain.

But I am a weight loss warrior and veteran of about 45+ years! LOL. And these are some truths I've discovered that may help some of you? If not, just take it with a grain of salt and ignore me!

The things I know:
      1. Once you arrive at the Obesity Ball, weight management NEVER stops. It never stops. We can never "go back to our old ways" or "eat like a normal person with a normal metabolism." We stopped being normal when we hit that range (actually before that but I won't split hairs). So we MUST continue to do things differently--doing what works for each of our individual metabolisms/beliefs/food preferences, etc.
      2. Recidivism is THE RULE not the exception--and this is only compounded and more complex if you also suffer with any addiction issues or food imbalances. Humans are MASTER rationalizers as well. We can talk ourselves into any craving with crazy-*kitten* reasoning and circular arguments and strawman arguments with our own minds.
      3. One Day At A Time--there's a reason this mantra works for millions of AA or *Anonymous people -- cuz it's a general truth. We can't fix what's past. We can't worry the future into submission. We can only live today taking our "next best step," "our next best bite," "making our next best choice or decision."
      4. Weight Regain Is Reality--it's there. My surgeon warned each of us about this at every pre-surgery visit. She encouraged and helped to shape the post op plan for regain even as we were preparing for surgery and continues this educational process at my post surg follow-up during the honeymoon phase. I know I will STILL struggle, despite this preparation and planning! LOL> what a *kitten*!
      5. Life Happens--everyday life happens. We ALL have stress. We all have emotional trials, work issues, people problems, griefs. Life's a *kitten*, then you pay taxes, then you die. BUT, we have power and strength. We are not victims of life. We have power IF we choose to exercise it.
      6. Success comes from MANY SMALL actions done repetitively and routinely every single forking live-long day. It's not the grand slam. It's the daily grind. It's getting out of bed and doing as @fit_chickx does every day. And as in Bull Durham, "Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometime it rains..."

I appreciate the compliment Hun. Please don't do as I do.*laughing* We all have our own walk with bariatrics. Each of us should strive to hit our individual goals. be your own amazing!

I believe everyone here compassion for anyone who has a small or major weight gain. Getting back to our weight loss mojo zone takes work. None of this is the easy way out.

Absolutely, one day at a time. and success is the sum of small things repeated day in and day out.

Find what motivates you to get back into the grind.

Find perspective on the days that are tough.

My example of perspective is a cancer patient with months to live would gladly take our place with our weight struggles.

Hope everyone is doing well. I'm going to start check in thread to see who is still active on the board.

7. JamesAztec
        JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
        Options
        I found this Dr. Weiner on YouTube today. Good stuff about the reasons for weight regain, how much, why, etc. At least a little "regain" happens to almost everyone. I don't know one single person who lost all the weight they wanted, stayed there the rest of their life and lived happily ever after.

But there are lots of things we can do to prevent too much weight gain and set backs. I think the important thing is to nip it in the bud and change lifestyle/habits.