May 2018 Basics Challenge: Week 1 (5/1-5/7)

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
edited May 2018 in Social Groups
Welcome to the May Basics Challenge!

Bah, basics! Entirely boring and unsexy, right?
Guess what though? It will get you to your goal. Basics aren't flashy or exciting, but this is how it's done.
If you're wanting to look better in your swimsuit this summer, this is how to get there.

One key thing that I have learned in my journey is this:
Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

Consistently nailing the basics is so important. And consistency creates good habits, routines, and gives you momentum that will carry you through hard times or disruptions to your normal schedule. Forget motivation. Motivation is a fickle thing. Discipline carries you through when motivation fails you.

So what are the basics?
Well, hitting your carb goal, obviously, right? There are other very important basics we need to lock in: staying hydrated, keeping electrolytes up, logging consistently (if you're a logger), exercise (if that's one of your goals), hitting your macros, staying away from trigger foods and other things you know set you back...

You can report your progress to your goal, whether it be ultra-obsessive daily hitting your low-carb plan basics, or working on a fitness goal, or even nailing down other good habits in your life. And if you have problems or need advice, you'll find that here.

Each week there will be a thread to collect your progress that week and to interact with other challengers.
I'll keep links to the weekly threads at the bottom of the stickied post should the thread get buried. 2 clicks, to this post and the Weekly link, will get you back to it.

So go ahead and post your goals in this Thread.
My daily post would look something like this.

Tues 5/1:
Logged: :+1:
Water: :+1:
Electrolytes: :+1:
Calorie Goal: :+1:
Carb Goal: :+1:
Exercise: HIIT :+1:
Prelogged next day: :+1:
7/7

But this is your show. So focus on your basics.

Make this month count! Tear it up!:+1:

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Cardio day: 13 min/mile @ low heart rate.
    Food is planned and packed.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    In for May.
    I did really great in April down 4.5 pounds and a total of 10 since starting in March.
    Trying to keep the momentum going.
    Shooting for another 5 in May.
    Walking has been a huge contributor to the weight loss in addition to under 20g carbs.
    Let's have a great month. Summer is coming!

• tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I gotta give up dark chocolate again and stop slacking on my workouts. I even recruited a friend to text me when he is outside working to make sure I'm not sitting on the couch. 8000 steps a day for May is what I'll shoot for, I am going to use my phone to track as well as my fitbit zip. Something tells me I need a new one. Started the month at 167.5, would be happy with any loss at all by June 1st.
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I’m in!

I’m only 2 weeks into eating LCHF, and up to now I’ve really just concentrated on not eating carbs and sticking to that.

However, I think I now need to be more diligent on aiming for a little weight loss too. During transitition to LCHF, I relaxed my intermittent fasting to allow for adjustment to the new way of eating, but now I think is the time to start combining LCHF & IF.

So my aims for May:
    Continue LCHF eating
    At least 3 days a week eat only in a 4hr eating window
    Remaining days eat in an 8hr eating window.

In June, perhaps I’ll resume 36hr fasts once a week. Let’s see how May goes first.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    I'm in for sure. I'm also going on vacation this month and I don't want to screw up just because I'm on vacation. It will be hard because I'm going home and there's those darn timbits!!

My goals for May is to keep my carbs under 25, exercise consistently (steps and yoga) and stay away from sugar!

..and Day 1 was a success!

I likely won't be able to post updates when I'm on vacation since I'll be in another country but I'll update when I get back home!
  • baconslave
    Options
    Tues 5/1:
    Exercise: Strength :+1:
    Remember NEAT: :+1:
    8/8
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I'm just not ready and probably never will be read for carnivore so I'll join the basics! Things went super good in April with the added activity. Also I've been much better about not letting carbs creep up on me. So that's what I'm going with this month. Watching carbs and getting as much as activity as I can!

5/1 carbs were in line and I jogged on the treadmill.

Today I'm hoping for an after work hike...we'll see how it all pans out!
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Back to basics-I’m in! I want to continue my NEAT focus from April as well as staying on track with my calorie goals. I’ve been lax on these off and on so want to be sure my eating habits remain on point. This means no Diet Coke which makes me crave sugar like mad! At least I’ve found the trigger.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    SLRDL - 1x8, 2x6 @ 25 pounds - these unilateral things are quickly becoming my new lunge. Ugh. But I can tell they're important.
    Pushups - 3x8 ON THE FLOOR! ON MY TOES! Yes, this is capslock worthy. My depth was for crap...about 3", but on the floor, on my toes!
    Inverted Rows - 3x8 - felt really easy today. I only have the TRX bands available to do these so I probably need to work my way toward pullups.

And I forgot my shoes at home. So I'm at work. In a skirt and button down...and my gym shoes. I look so pretty. A day of highs and lows :lol:

WAHOO!
  • Salkeela
    Options
    Wed 2nd May
    Eating window 3pm-7pm B)
    Net Carbs 6g o:) (not aiming to be this low everyday)
  • donnaslifepart2
    donnaslifepart2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Today is day 6 for me. I think I might just be turning the corner on the keto flu. Feeling better and I am down 8.8 lbs. My goal for this month is simply to stick with it. I go back to work Friday night for 3-12 night shifts where there is always a ton of crap ans cookies around so planning my meals and carrying them with me will be CRUCIAL! If I can do this I will consider it a success.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Day 2 another success. A little higher in carbs then I wanted but still not to bad!
  • baconslave
    Options

Wed 5/2:
    Exercise: Yard hikin' (1hr and 15) :+1:
    Remember NEAT: :+1:
    8/8
  • kyoumans84
    kyoumans84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in for May too!
    So this is the first month that I am back on the keto train and so far it is going SO WELL - I'm really excited because when I first tried this way of eating a year ago I was totally derailed really quickly and never really recovered. This time I've done my research and have a good game plan. My goals for May are to stay hydrated, hit my carb goal (20g net or less), and hit my calorie goal every day. So far I've nailed it every day!
  • Salkeela
    Options
    Thurs 3rd May
    Eating window - 8hrs
    Net Carbs - 15g
    1lb down at weigh in this (Fri) morning.
  • maureli
    maureli Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I guess the week is almost over but I would like to join in. I am new to low carb eating and am still learning. I have had great success so far. So....

May 4
    Carb goal:
    Hydration:
    Calorie goal:
    Macros:
    Exercise:
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I’ve done well on the calorie goals this week and haven’t been as hungry but still fight the battle of eating when I’m not hungry. Exercise and NEAT movement has been on point so next week’s focus is cutting the after dinner snacking.
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Step goal -
    Wed just under 6400-thought I'd be higher :(
    Thur 8575, much better :)
    Food and water are on point.
    Focusing on NEAT today plus an outdoor walk at lunch if it's not raining, gym time otherwise.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Thurs 5/3:
    Exercise: strength training:+1:
    Remember NEAT: Kicked NEAT's hiney!:+1: