To Intermittent Fast or Not to IF... please share your experiences.

Options
healthygoose
healthygoose Posts: 4 Member
Hi all,

I was hoping to hear from some of you who have tried Keto with IF. And from those who do Keto without Fasting and have had success as well.

Trying to figure out if this is something I can do and sustain. I've tried it last 2 days.. the 16:8.. got a little hungry this morning. I was trying to do 2 meals during the 8 hour period with no snack.. Part of me would like a small snack though. lol

Just trying to figure out a good way to do things... TY!

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    I naturally fall into the 18:6 window for eating (have most of my adult life - love breakfast food, just not breakfast ). I break my fast around noon and then eat dinner around 6 with a snack between dinner and bedtime.

Doesn't really make a difference how many times you eat during the window as long as it helps you control your appetite and calories.

I have spoken with peeps who only eat 1 meal during the window and peeps who basically graze during the window (eating small amounts throughout the window).

Neither of those work for me, hence the 2 meals and a snack.
  • Cby60
    Cby60 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I fast from 5:30 pm to noon the next day. Once you are use to less carbs its not hard. I dont miss breakfast at all. Sometimes i make bullet coffee (coconut oil in black coffee or tea) that helps with hunger. When i do this and eat low carb the weight goes down.
  • knotgood77
    knotgood77 Posts: 69 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    On a standard carb rich diet I eat all the time, boredom eating, over eating, and all the other eating. Since starting the lchf I have incorporated an IF protocol, with a standard eating window between 4:30 and 6pm. Usually consisting of 2 meals with a brake in between of about an hour. It is working well for me, although probably is not for everyone. I generally don't have any major cravings throughout the fasting period. Days I know I am going to engage in more than average physical output, I do break the fast in the morning immediately before a bike ride etc., but only by adding a tbsp of mct oil to my last cup of coffee. Good Luck!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    IF for weight loss is all about what makes it easy for you to stick within your calorie goals. So, if you want to eat 2 meals and a snack, that's awesome, as long as you are keeping your food intake within your goal level.

I do 16:8 and eat 2 meals and at least 1 snack, sometimes 2 snacks, just depending on how I feel.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I was at 18:6, then dabbled in 20:4. When I went to 20:4, I wasn't fat-adapted (I eat Keto), so I struggled and went back to 16:8. I plan on doing OMAD or going back to 20:4 once I have more fasting time under my belt.
  • Mandamanda93
    Mandamanda93 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    With keto, I pretty much don't get hungry for 12-16 hours at a time- I can stop eating at 7 PM and comfortably not even think about eating until noon or 1 the next day. Recently, I've made it more of an effort (reaching 16 hours every day, trying to get to 18 a few times a week, hoping to lengthen that time more as I continue).

I've noticed that my sleep has been better and my manic episodes aren't nearly as severe. I've also lost almost 10 pounds once I started incorporating IF.

Just like other folks are saying, it's all about the foods you eat during your eating window. As long as you're staying within your macro goals, eat what makes you feel good! Eat 6 snacks, eat one huge meal- whatever works best for you.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    When I was a teenager and young adult, I ate this way intuitively, I was just never hungry in the morning so I never ate breakfast. I didn't start eating breakfast until I started working a full time day job, because I thought that it was what you were supposed to do.

Within the last several years, I have experimented a lot with my diet, and what I've found is that I really just need to listen to my body. Some days I eat breakfast, some days I don't. Some days I skip both breakfast and lunch, I mean, if I'm not hungry, then why eat?

What I do enjoy is purposeful extended fasting, usually for just a couple of days at a time. I have a lot of GI issues, and sometimes, I just like to give my system a few days off to kind of reboot, plus, at that point, autophagy kicks in as well, perhaps that's how I maintain my youthful looks LOL

That said, if you are going to practice IF, it is all about what works for you. I know some people just graze during their feeding window, others like to have 1-2 meals but don't snack, others snack. It really is very individual because what works best for me may not work for Sue, Jen, and Bob kwim??
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I always got puke-up ill if I ate within a few hours of waking during my childhood/teenage years and on into my adult life I just never felt hungry early. My eating window is from about 4pm-midnight. I work the 9pm-5am graveyard shift and wake up usually around noonish. I have a small 'breakfast/snack' at 4, make dinner later and eat with hubby at 6:30, have a small portable dinner/snack at around 1130-midnight. Works fine for me, helps keep my weight down even if I'm eating off my low carb plan. (As long as I stay away from pulling into the 7-11 in the patrol car for the crisps or chili cheese nachos :s )
  • LoveJoyFood
    LoveJoyFood Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I quickly transitioned from 3 meals a day on Keto with no snacking at all to eating only lunch and dinner. Now I eat only one meal a day (my midday meal) and it really is how I feel best. My appetite has diminished quite a lot. I don't do any of the Keto treats and sugar substitutes and that my be a factor in feeling satisfied. Anything with a sweet taste will derail me. Many of my co-workers do Keto with me but they bring fat bombs and such to work. I notice they eat "legal" Keto approved stuff, but they have to eat more frequently than I do.